Front speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Abbyying

Post Number: 23
i just purchaced War diamond 9.4s. sound great with music but when i use with surround sound they sound a bit muffled. i have them hooked up as front speakers (no other surround, just two front and a center). i have center and front set and small. if i turn the center way down (-8) and turn vol up i can hear them better, but they are still not as clear as when used just as 2 channel.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14683
abb , what is the rest of you setup beyond the speakers?
What is the center channel speaker?
Is the speaker above the tv, underneath, or on a shelf?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 910
Nuck,
Could the amp simply be incapable?
Or are you suspecting a setup glitch which can be fixed?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
recivers is STR-DG510 5.1.

i am assuming set up glitch.. i have playing around with settings for a couple of days. it is possible that the speakers work better with a blu ray disk. my problems have been more when we are trying to listen to the tv. both of the hook ups are optical. one is straight from the tv to reciver and the other is blu ray to reciever (which is better..i think). maybe the tv is not processing the audio as well as it should (or able) the tv is a samsung dlp.

the reciver is not hdmi..

both the

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 852
Do you have a cable or satellite receiver ? If so, try running the audio out of the receiver instead of through the TV. Anything processed through your TV will be degraded far more than what your blu ray player can output.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
here is an image of the back of my reciever..

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/STRDE598-2.jpg

i have cable (cox), but i don't see how to hook that up..

as of right now i have TV going into optical SA CD and blu ray going into optical video 2. i have my center speaker wires in "center" at the top and two fronts in the "front" towards bottom. this sound right?

i mostly use the AFD setting.

here are specs..

90 Watts X 6 (20Hz-20KHz,THD 0.09%)
DolbyDigital EX,dtsES(Neo6),DPLIIx,dts96/24 Decoding
6.1 Channel Decoding with Auto Up Conversion
2 Assignable HD Component Video In/1 Out
Portable A/V Input (Front A/V Input)
A/V Sync (70 ms)
Multi-Channel Stereo (Party Mode)
3 Composite Video In / 1 Composite Video Out
Multi-Channel Input (5.1)
1 Monitor Output
Key Technologies
6.1 Channel Power Rating: 90W x 6 (8 ohms 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD .09%)
Digital Cinema Sound System with Cinema Studio EX A/B/C Modes
Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital,Dolby Pro LogicII, dts-ES, dts 96/24, dts Decoding
dts NEO:6
5.1 Multi-Channel Analog Input
A /B or A+B Speaker Switching for Front Speakers
Circuit Devices: Discrete
2 HD Capable Component Video Inputs/1 Output

Features
Audio
dts Decoding: Yes
Dolby Digital Decoding: Yes
Dolby Digital EX Decoding: Yes
dts-ES Decoding: Yes
dts 96/24 Decoding: Yes
dts NEO:6 Decoding: Yes
Dolby Pro Logic Decoding: Yes
Dolby Pro Logic II Decoding: Yes
Dolby Pro Logic IIX Decoding: Yes
Digital Cinema Sound Technology: Yes
Specifications
Audio
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Channel Power Rating: 7.1 Channel Power
Rating: 90W x 7 Amp Power (8 ohms,
20Hz-20kHz, THD 0.09%)
Sound Fields: Cinema - 4; Music - 3; Auto
Format Decoding - 6
Tuner Type: Auto Tuning, Direct Tuning,
Station Name
Convenience
AM/FM Memory Presets: 20 FM - 10 AM
Inputs and Outputs
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s): 2
(Rear)
Multi-Channel Input(s): 1 (Rear)
Optical Audio Input(s): 2 (Rear)
Coaxial Audio Digital Input(s): 2 (Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s): 1
(Rear)
Composite Video Input(s): 4 (1 Front/3
Rear)
Composite Video Output(s): 2 (Rear)
RCA Audio Input(s): 6 (1 Front/5 Rear)
RCA Audio Output(s): 2 (Rear)
Subwoofer Output(s): 1 (Rear)
AC Outlet: 1 Switched
Antenna Terminal (AM Loop): 1 (Rear)
Antenna Terminal (FM 75 Ohm): 1 (Rear)
Headphone Output(s): 1 (Front)
Power
Power Requirements: AC120V, 60 Hz
Power Consumption (in Operation): 220W
Power Consumption (in Standby): 0.2W
Hardware
Remote Control: Yes
Speaker
Front Speaker Terminal: Yes (A & B)
Center Speaker Terminal: Yes
Surround Back Speakers: Yes
Surround Speaker Terminal: Yes

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 141
Is it still muffled when you try all channel stereo? This should give the same output to the front speakers as the center rather than using processing to give you surround.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
freddie, that seems like exactly what i want! i am not sure my receiver can do that.. i can do 2 channel, but that is just the fronts, no center.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
If you hook up analog you should be able to access this. Since you're going digital, you're getting a Dolby Digital signal, which gives different information to each channel. When using it this way, the fronts should only be used when there is something off screen to either side, or music playing. When you get rears it should be the same story, only things that are supposed to be to the rear of you will play through the rear speakers.

All channel stereo won't be realistic at all, it will just sound like a bunch of speakers playing the same thing at you. But if this is what you really want, try an analog connection (basic red and white RCA cable) and scroll through the DSP modes, you should be able to find it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
i think that is exaclty what is going on, when watch tv, i think it just tells all sound to go to the center and the fronts do nothing (very little).. one reason why i decided to buy fronts was becuase my stereo sounded "all center".. not much difference even with nicer speakers.

i just looked at manual.. i have this option.. would that work?

Enjoying stereo sound in multi channel (2 channel decoding
mode) This mode lets you specify the type of decoding for 2 channel audio sources. This receiver can reproduce 2 channel sound in 5 channels through Dolby Pro Logic II; 6 channels through Dolby Pro Logic IIx; 6 channels through DTS Neo:6 or 4 channels through Dolby Pro Logic. However, DTS 2CH sources are not decoded by DTS Neo:6; they are output in 2 channels.

Press A.F.D. repeatedly to select the 2 channel decoding mode. The selected type of decoding appears in the display. xDOLBY.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
No, Prologic and Neo6 do the same thing that Dolby Digital does which is what you don't seem to want. The difference is it takes a two channel source and makes it into surround with processing. You want full all channel stereo which is basically no processing other than sending the same signal everywhere. This feature might be under the DSP modes instead of surround modes, but it's different for every receiver.

Again though, it sounds like it's operating properly now. You are right in thinking that nearly everything comes from the center....as it should. Everything that is on screen (dialog and what is directly in the camera's view) should come from the center. If you have an explosion off screen to the left, it should come from the left speaker. If you have a helicopter circle around you, it should actually pan around each speaker to sound like it's actually circling. Having everything come out of every speaker at once isn't true surround...it's just having a lot of speakers playing at the same time.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1131
Put another way, if a true surround system is working correctly all of the speakers other than the center will sound what might be considered "muffled"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
gotcha.. good info. seems simple now that you explain it. you are right in that i don't want all sound coming from all speakers. honetly i just thought more would come from my fronts.. they are so pretty.. they seem like they are doing so little.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Listen to more music in direct stereo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us