AE vs B&W (EVO 3 vs 602)

Username: Silentfool

Post Number: 5
I just had a demo with these two sets of speakers and to be honest, i was surprised at the results. I came in as a B&W fan, but left confused! I was expecting to listen to the EVO3's and be disappointed, but I ended out being impressed! IMHO I thought that the b&w's sounded muddy in comparison. maybe it was just me or the track or the settings or something, but the AE's sounded more crisp and brighter. my wife actually thought that there were 3 speakers going when we were demoing the AE's, (the soundstage was great)!

I still haven't decided on which I'll go for. Since B&W has such an impressive line of speakers, that I can add later for my surround system, I'm thinking of sticking with them. But the AE EVO 3's are floorstanders...which means no ugly speaker stands(big points from my wife) so it's still somewhat of a toss up. any opinions out there? anyone else have the AE EVO series???

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
If these comments actually help, the What Hi-Fi mag has done two group test (one in February 2003/May 2002) and in both group tests, the Evo3 emerge top guns(supertest winners) ousting speakers from several more well known makers, including the B&W 602.5(although this 2.5 way model is IMHO inferior to the DM602 S3 standmount)
I would not be surprised if u found the Evo3 better, as personally the soundstage is larger with slightly better dynamics and seamless integration of highs/mids/lows despite being a 3-way. Build quality for both are great though, the B&Ws being more stylish with the grilles off whereas the evo3 full internal bracing gives satisfaction from the knuckle thud test although it's more clasical looking (not in any way bad).
personally, if u can find them for the same price and space is not a problem, I would go for the AEs for mains. For package, just grab the Evo 3B pack for HT(which includes the Evo3 of course). If name and style is more important 2 u, the B&Ws might do fine as frankly speaking, the BWs have been around much longer and is more reputable dt its Nautilus tweets. Both should not disappoint, get the one that sounds better to you and don't look back.

PS: AE has come up with a new line the Aelites which is due this summer.

Username: U8myufo

Post Number: 2
I have got a pair of the EVO3 speakers on trial right now hooked up to my Denon AVC-A10SE.I chose these as my center and sub are also AE`s Before I had the evo1 bookshelfs.Right the scenario, one of the evo1`s was playing up blew a cone apparently.The 3`s in my opinion sound great when playing DVD`s, the Phil Collins soundtracks to Tarzan are awesome.But as far as Im concerend thats as far as it goes,ok so I aint got a dedicated cd player which might help.My listening room is 14x 12 feet and has 18inch solid stone walls all around, my fiance said she thought the old speakers sounded better with music in stereo and I reckon I have to agree with her for once, the 1`s seem to do a pretty good job of both dvd and cd. Maybe the floorstanders are just a bit much for the size of room, dont get me wrong though, the 3`s do a good job when cranked right up but sometimes when I want to chill out I dont need the music up to loud. So for me I think I will take them back and try a pair of bookshelfs in the same price range and a decent set of stands.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 30
I am also strongly considering the Acoustic Energy Evo 3's. I demo'ed them last week using a NAD 763 in 2 channel mode. I though they sounded great - very full and throaty with great detail and a great soundstage.

u8myufo- Wat exactly ture you off about these speakers? What kind of cables are you using? What CD and DVD player? I thought the weakness of these would be HT performance, but you are explaining the opposite. This review http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/acousticenergy_evo3.shtml also said that these speakers need some room to breathe, which I unfortunatley don't have much of.

My other choices are the PSB 4T and Monitor Audio S6.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 31
Sorry for my typing - What exactly turned you off about these Evo 3's?

Post Number: 4
Well like I said Rob I aint got a dedicated cd player,so I run audio discs through the dvd player. I have the denon dvd 2900 on order at the mo, so waiting to see if that improves things a bit, if not then I will get myself a half decent cd player. As far as cables are concerned they are Monster brand, ok not top of the range but I will argue with anyone that at 46 years old and working around heavy plant for the last 20 years, the ears just cant do the job so well.I mean how many times have you listned to some music playing and thought well that could be tweaked here an there a bit? Exactly.Sorry m8 getting back to the speakers, if you can follow me on this then great.
You know the kind of sound you get when you hear something being played through a decent receiver on an FM station with excellent reception? eg. Radio 2. Then the nearest I got to that was with the 3`s but only whilst listening to dvd`s. Whereas I found the 1`s able to play cd`s and dvd`s and produce a sound that was nice.well I got the guy coming up next week to collect his speakers so I will have a chat with him and see what he suggests.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
Keep the Evo 3s, or try the JMLab Chorus 714S, the new What Hi Fi? choice of floorstander in that price range (July 2004 group test). The AE Evo 3s were still full 5 stars in all areas, but a little ousted by the newcomer 714S.
If going for standmounts, try quad 12L ~450+ pounds

Cheers,

Post Number: 7
You read my mind Onimushalord, I was considering the 11L`s until I seen the 12L` advertised. Thing is the shop where I got the speakers on loan from cater for a few brands up to about 25 grand a pair but they are not stockists for quads. As they have been helpful up until now I dont really want to mess them about and go elswhere. But in saying that I had phoned around a couple of places about the 12L`s and they dont seem to be supplying many shops in the Uk at the moment, if anyone knows what is going on there I would be interested to hear.still I will keep you informed of my final choice, and thanks.

Post Number: 8
Well guys I have made up my mind, after listening to a pair of AVI Pro 1`s, and a pair of B&W 601 S3`s.The B&W`s did it for me, but I just had to listen to a pair of the 602`s after reading a few reviews on them, and they ROCK!!! Coupled up with some QED silver cable and a pair of Partington Dreadnaught stands I now sit listening to my music with a contented grin on my face.Although the AVI speakers were secondhand they were still going for £400,I believe they are about £800 new,but I just did not like the tone of them,maybe they were just not happy being matched to my equipment, so my advise to anyone wanting speakers is to try before you buy.

Ps. Thanks to www.pghifi.demon.co.uk

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 212
You ate my flying saucer,

Excellent. Sounds like you made the right choice. Enjoy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us