Poor College Student looking for advice.

samuel H.
Unregistered guest
Hi, I am that (relatively) poor college student who you yourself used to be! I am looking to put together a system for under 600$. I need recommendations on an amplifier and speakers. I will be running my soundcard into the amplifier so that I can play my mp3s (don't comment one them please) and cds. Is there any hope for me to get a decent 5.1 amp and speakers for this price, or am I doomed to flat and lackluster sound in my dorm room. thank you for your input.
-sam

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1025
check out your local audio shops, they should be able to help you out. If you are looking at playing mostly mp3's, just get a decent stereo receiver. You said not to comment on mp3's and then you wrote something about flat and lackluster, they go hand in hand:-)

Anyway if you are bent on 5.1 your local Circuit City and Best Buy should have a receiver in your price range. The HK's and Onkyo's are on sale and should be for some time.

If you want HT speakers go look at Fluance on the web. My nephews seem to love them in their dorms.

cheers

peach
Unregistered guest
Bought my son an Onkyo package at CC for his apartment at college. For a little over $500 it sounded pretty good.

Bronze Member
Username: Fryguy

Barrington Passage, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 14
If you have a computer use for you audio your set. Now decide on a amp and speakers. you can get a house amp and speakers. But if your on a serious cheep you can go with a car amp and speakers and swap the same system between the house and the ride.
Just need to power it with a computer power supply.
application/mswordUpload
Using an ATX computer power supply to make a scalable multipurpose power supply.doc (51.2 k)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us