Sub' Amp, "do it yourself"

Username: Bb_mike

Huntsville, AL

Post Number: 2
Guys and Gals. Any of you taken a, once passive, subwoofer enclosure and added an amplifier (AC powered) to the enclosure?

I'm thinking of doing so with this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/300-792.pdf
It's only about $100 shipped.

Another guy asked about using a 250 Watt version with his setup, but he didn't list any feed back about having bought it.

My Question:
Is 120W enough? It is for a home "theater", but mostly used for music purposes. My Pioneer receiver has 80W per channel. Right now the passive sub has one channel (with a crossover of course. I'm not THAT cheap). This setup produces enough base for me. So... as long as my receiver amps have a SNR of 98dB or better, the wattage is comparable. correct?

Also, my speaker is dual voice coil. I don't know the specs on it. I bought it about 7 years ago. It is 12 inches.

This way, I can upgrade the driver later, and build a new box for it... maybe some Cherry wood. Am I all along here?

Bronze Member
Username: Natediggidy

Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 32
How big is the room you're working with? You stated that the sub was a dvc model, but are the coils 4 or 8-ohm ones?

You know us guys over at the P.E message board like to say "It's better to have it and not need it (power), than to need it and not have it!". ;^)

Username: Bb_mike

Huntsville, AL

Post Number: 3
Each coil is 8 Ohms.

How aobut I run one chanel of my receiver to each coil (80Watts out per ch.). This would put 160Watts at full volume, right? So I can se if it will handle that. And if, I can buy the 200W and be on the safe side.

I agree with you on the "power to spare" concept. I"m just wondering what my current Sb driver can handle...

The room is not so big, but it "opens up" into a dining room AND the kitchen (bar devider). I can post a picture of the room, and give some dimension, then let you guru's have at it. I need to design a BIG PICTURE, and build it piece by piece.

Bronze Member
Username: Natediggidy

Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 35
It sounds like you're on the right track! While you're enjoying your new sub amp, you can plan and work on your speaker and enclosure upgrade.

Cherry wood huh, sounds nice.

Unregistered guest
Hello guys, I have a 5 chanel 500 watt Technics home theater reciever, I run the sub output from the reciever to a preamp, then to my Nad 120 watt (60 per chanel) power amp, my Nad is switchable from 8 to 4 ohm output, I run it at 4 ohm, then to a single 4 ohm 12 inch Kenwood car sub.I can adjust the sub totally with the preamp, Well let let me tell ya! Have you guys ever parked a car with subs up the yinger in tour livingroom. I tell ya listening to music or movies is a experiance you would not believe!!!!!!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us