New Pre - Rogue Magnum 99

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2971
After a small haggle with the Rogue dealer/distributor here downunder, I have purchased a demo Magnum 99 sans the phono board which can be added later if required. It has been a demo for a little over a month according to the dealer and has a full two year warranty. The price was very, very good (by our standards). Everything I have read about this pre points to elevating our musical experience substantially. I'm pretty certain this will marry well with the mono blocks so if the benefits aren't that substantial, then I'll know that the next future (far future) upgrade will a move up from the Quads - but I'm hoping not - really hoping not!

There was no way to try this pre, however should it prove unsuitable, I expect one of you good folk to migrate to Australia and buy it from me - heh, heh!

Should arrive mid next week.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2972
Sorry, this should have been in the pre-amp thread.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14635
What a great unit the rogue is MR!
I hope you really like it.
MW got the straight info from Rogue on tube selection, and uprated his with very very positive results indeed.

Out of the box, this is a very sweet preamp.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1212
duly noted

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2973
Nuck, I've read nothing but good about this pre amp. I know Mike upgraded the tubes in his and have read where others have had varying and positve results with a variety of tubes depending on their system. I guess I'll be sticking with whatever is in them (probably the NOS tubes origanlly picked by O'Brian) for a while.

I wasn't going to do any uprades for some time, but this opportunity came along to get a very widely lauded pre at a real bargain. I am sure it will marry well with the other gear (well, here's hoping) as it is designed to suit a wide variety of amps, not just those from the Rogue stable. I'm certainly looking forward to its arrival.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14636
Should the phono become availble and desireable, I personally recommend a try out.

This is a high quality machine, MR.
I strongly considered the same before I found the Integrated that I wanted.
Going with files and a DAC were in mind also.
The Magnum 99 was at the top of my list, and it is highly recommended from forums everywhere I look.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12234
Perhaps I'm blind but I DON'T SEE THE PICS!!!

Congrats, MR...very good stuff!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14639
haha, partial post MR!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2974
From first post: Should arrive mid next week.

Yep, perhaps you are, Art. Lol!

But thanks. Wish it was here for the weekend.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14641
A watched kettle never boils.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12239
Oops...

LOL!

Damnit, I saw that. It was a preemptive strike!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2977
However, even though it's not here . . .

. . . here it is!

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14645
Did you get the PS as well, MR?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2979
Yes Nuck, it is vital, otherwise it can't be powered by a normal plug.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12241
Ain't she lovely!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2980
Sure is, but good looks ain't everything.

It's her performce I'm counting on Art.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1213
When you find you don't like it, please contact me, MR.

Excellent that you got it in time for weekend enjoyment!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2981
It would be Stryvn, but it won't be here until mid week. :-(

Oh, and I doubt I won't like it.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 839
Nice unit MR.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2994
Everything I've heard and seen about it certainly places it in the nice category Chris. I hoping it will be a very nice upgrade in our system. I'm getty antsy waiting for it.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2326
M.R. Congrats. I do not know when if ever I would upgrade from mine.

Mark O'Brien's NOS is selected for its overall availability. When I went to upgrade I spoke with him about the variety of tubes that Rogue Audio ran through the tests and which ones might best fit the sound I was wanting to change to. He discussed it long enough with me to be able to hand pick a matched set of input and output tubes that I could not be happier with. He even took the trouble to label individual tube boxes with which socket each tube went to.

I had demo'd a McIntosh C-2200 before the upgrade and decided it was not work trading up. Now I would have to have a C-2300 to demo to see if even that would sway me. Not that I have the coin or ambition to do that anytime soon.

You might be very pleased when you can stop posting pictures of other's pre-amps.

Keep the PS away from the pre-amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14671
Does the PS have the sniffles?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 894
Bee u Tee full.

Nice, simple, clean.

Use it in good health:

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2995
Thanks Leo and Mike.

I was kinda hoping for a shipping miracle for a delivery today. Not my turn. Maybe tomorrow or the next I'll be the proud owner. Mike the photo is of the unit coming to me. Thanks for the tips, I've read a lot about using various tubes for increased benefits appealing to tastes, but I doubt I'll be trying others for some time.

If this pre makes a marked difference in SQ in our room - and I'm pretty sure it will - I may, sometime in the distant future, reconsider a t/t and spring for the phono board, but that's really not a priority at all. I was very reluctant to tell - er - ask my better half about getting this as I had a feeling I would be really pushing it, but she's my sweetheart and although I guess there was a little reluctance, there was no problem. But, I will have to sell some toys to make up for this and past expenses. My decision, not hers.

The dealer seems like a stand up guy and his starting price was pretty good, but he did it for a little better, changed the listing for me to have it without bidding. I guess business is pretty tough at present. Anyway, it's coming insured and with 2 yrs warranty, so I can't ask for better than that.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3002
Just picked it up and unpacked it. Looks great.

Now I have to go out for several hours. Wouldn't you know it!

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 847
Bummer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14678
Plug it in!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3003
Got back. Had to move a few things around on the rack before introducing the Rogue. After a hassle getting the surrounds right again, I left the Saturn, Rogue and Xindaks warm up for an hour and put the first disc in.

Holy heck !

More to come later.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12282
Having listened to that pre and the Parasound...I knew that was coming!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2327
Men in maternity ward waiting rooms do not have to wait this long for results...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14680
Is M.R. going to hand out cigars?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3004
Yeah okay, cigars for everyone. Only had time to listen to about a half dozen or so selected tracks from various albums yesterday evening. Everything I have previously stated about sound improvements with various tweaks and so forth doesn't come close to what I am hearing now.

NMT was absolutely correct as was Art - except the speakers were not part of the problem. Oh, I know there are better ones out there, just like there is better everything else, however what the introduction of the Rogue has done to our music is almost, well to pull a superlative out of the air, miraculous.

I now understand comments about having a bottleneck in the system that conceals just what other components are capable of. The Saturn, the Xindaks and the Quads are now really and truly and honestly delivering music like I/we have never heard in our house - the difference to me and to my wife is actually - no I not going to use that "word". Jawdropping is quite suitable in this case.

Some used the term 'not seeing the forest from the trees" and said they could not only see the forest, but all the trees in it. Well, if seeing was hearing, that is about what I's say this preamp has allowed in our system.

I'll listen some more (can't wait really) and try to review what I'm hearing and post a pic or two when time permits. Needless to say, the Rogue is an incredible investment and it makes me totally satisfied that the Saturn and the Xindaks are as well. In a word, the music sounds brilliant.

I'm as happy as a pig in mud!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12284
Outstanding, MR!

I love it when that happens!

Congrats on a great investment.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 850
Gotta love a happy ending. Enjoy.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3007
Thank guys. I decided to once again change the shelving unit to give the Rogue a bit more breathing space. Unfortunately, the Saturn now has a smaller shelf, but it's still okay to change discs without a problem. It's all now warming up and soon I'll be in audio heaven again.

Yippy kai ye !

Powering everything off and on again, didn't seem to agree with our satellite box. After a half hour of listening to automated customer service messages, I'm told it will be 3-5 days before a new box is sent.

Who the heck cares?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14684
M.R., you have a very very fine piece there, as you now know.
Good on ya mate!

Now set a couple of 5 lb divers weights on top and see what you think!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3009
Yes, I saw a picture of a reviewer's set up with a weight on top. I actually took the top off to be sure the tubes were seated correctly after being shipped. All was well, at the same time I placed small dabs of blu-tac along the casing edges before replacing the cover to help dampen any vibes. If I get weights they'll have to look good.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12293
"If I get weights they'll have to look good."

And good for you, you've seen some of these tweaked out setups... !

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3010
Ah jeez, the music is sublime!

Yes Art, it's okay for a dedicated boy's room I guess, but certainly not for our living room. Besides, the Rogue is sitting on a section of foam rubber flooring same as the Saturn and the Oppo. I think that dampens any vibes. Proving beneficial for the Saturn, I don't see why it wouldn't for the Rogue. Still, I no longer feel the need to try and wring out any for detail or resolution. Things are just hunky dory right now. However, Larry's MIT will be here in a few days and as promised, I will be giving that a try.

Now, back to nirvana . . . no, not the band, the state of mind.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14687
Maybe a couple of solid brass Buddhas, LOL!

I love that fat little guy.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2328
M.R. obviously you are reaping the benefits of a very neutral component. I am sure we are all pleased for you and the benefits your are reaping.

However I do not understand the attitude that doing anything to further enhance your experience because of a "dedicated boy's room" is not even worth the consideration. The tubes inside the cabinet produce resonance, yours would have less resonance than mine due to your not having the phono stage in yours. I think you are short changing yourself with simply dismissing the benefits for any reason. There are a variety of either wood or metal dampening devices out there, it does not have to be utilitarian diver weights although they are the most effective at their price point.

http://www.avisolation.com/damping_plate.html

A lot of information on this link;

http://magnan.com/downloadfiles/ras.htm

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3012
Mike, my saying I no longer feel the need shouldn't imply I'm not open to improvement, it just means I don't feel the need to squeeze out any more benefits right now because everything sounds so fine. If I see something that could be used to further improve things (and I know many tweaks will) then I'd be more than willing to give it a try bar (a) if it is too costly and - you know what's coming - (b) it is not aesthetically appealing. It's not only the WAF, but also my AF as our gear is in our living room. Thanks for the links - I'll be reading them with interest.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2329
M.R. I think we are on the same page. If I could have better anybody AF and not take a step back in SQ I would make that move. For example the ASC Tube traps I was able to pick up at a significant discount both outperformed my fiberglass rolls and had a bit better "anybody AF".

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3025
My only peeve with the Rogue is the remote, it doesn't have a wide operating range and is sluggish and difficult to increase/decrease volume in small increments. Other than that, the Rogue is an absolutely wonderful addition. Photo's on the pics thread under speakers.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2332
M.R. The gain settings will have a lot to do with the incremental gains you get with the VC. If it is turned all the way to the left then the incremental gains are tiny from the remote. If you turn the gain pot four clicks to the right or maximum then there is no "fine tuning" the volume with the remote. I keep mine on the center spot for everything but TT which I keep at one higher with with my setup.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3713
I've been following with interest, MR. I'm glad to see its all working out. I've said it many, many times - preamps are probably the most overlooked component in a system. They do a lot more than just switch sources and control volume.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3027
You got that right Stu and thanks.

Mike yes, I understand. But still, working tolerance is too narrow - all my other remotes work from my listening position - some with a small reach. With the Rogue I have to stand and lean right across the coffee table. Poor me :-)

Btw - the adjustable gain is another excellent benefit of this pre. Not too many have this.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2333
Got Duracells?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3030
You betcha!

I heard you have a spot of bother Mike - hope you can sort it out!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2334
Spot is most accurate. The spring that holds one of the 3 ball bearings in the transport of my Saturn has left for parts unknown. Fortunately the distributor for Rega in the states is less than an hour from my house so I will be dropping the CDP off with them tomorrow for repair.

Until then I am using my DVD writer to burn CDs to my hard drive with and without the Total Insanity Mat.

I will soon be posting in Larry's thread some of my observations to date on the TIM.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3716
Mike,

When you see those guys (who seem like great guys, BTW) can you ask them if Rega has any plans on releasing a DAC? My dealer called them about a year ago and they were tight lipped about it, but hinted that there was something in the works. Maybe a face to face conversation could get a little more info or an update? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12320
Might want to try HiFi Dave at Pink Fish, Stu. He's closer to the source. I think he's saying they are planning on releasing one but no ETA. Not sure though.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3031
Good luck with the spring Mike. I used the TIM for a while yesterday with varying results. More testing soon. Last night the stove blew up. I turned the oven onto warm up, opened it to put the fish in and poof! A big flash and smoke and that was all she wrote. There's a hole burnt through the plate that holds the element. The fuse blew and guess what - not one shop in our local village sells fuse wire. However, the chinese take out was very nice - and today I have the feeling I'll be forking out for a new stove. Punishment for buying a preamp I guess.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2335
Stu, I will let you know what they say. Maybe I could trade a used Saturn for a Rega DAC and get a Nick MC??????????

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14701
Ooooohhhhhh

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3729
Mike and others who are interested -

A gentleman on Pink Fish Media posted this in response to my Rega DAC question -

"Latest i was told from a very reliable source........ a Rega dac should be with us fairly soon. It will improve on the Apollo but not the Saturn. Price roughly £500. May not be in a full size box. That was all i was told."

"But knowing how things change during development , any of the above may alter / be incorrect so dont take that as gospel."

A few others - including Hifi Dave who is a Rega dealer in the UK said more or less the same thing.

Arcam just showed a prototype DAC at a Hifi show that'll be about 300 GBP and will probably come out this summer. Arcam's strength is their sources to my ears, so it'll definitely be something to consider. A little different than Rega, but good none the less.

Sorry for hijacking, MR.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3730
Did the Sound Organization have any info, Mike?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12335
I'm a member at PFM and HiFi Dave and others have been talking about this DAC for awhile. There are also a couple of Roy's friends over there who occasionally let something slip.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 862
"There are also a couple of Roy's friends over there who occasionally let something slip."

As long as they say excuse me.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2347
Stu, I did post on what they said, but not in this thread, in "Teaching an Old Dog..."

"Stu, Sound Organisation only knows what everyone else knows is that Rega will offer a DAC in the future. No product or pricing information has been made available to the dealers by Rega as of this time."

Today they it seemed that it will be coming out in the next couple of months.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12345
Chris, they had better say "excuse me" or I'm not sure they are invited back!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3735
Thanks for the info Mike. And thanks for the link to Pink Fish, Art.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us