Driving RCAs, fundamental question.

Username: Bb_mike

Huntsville, AL

Post Number: 1
(first post for me)

I was under the impression that Audio was just Audio. The same signal that supplies your headphones via 2.5mm jack, could be the same signal that drives an RCA input on your home reciever. They even make cables that connect the two.

Well, not so much...

My problem is this: I am a new XM radio subscriber (Awesome music). Their preferred method of interface is either an FM modulator (with a few preset values), or a Casset Tape (modified with a head). The first is crappy, and the second lacks too.

The XM radio Delphi Roady unit has a 2.5mm audio out with internal volume control (would be used as a walkman radio, I guess). When I hook this port directly to a Receiver line in, I get HALF the volume as any other given input line!!! Not even the XM volume helps. The receiver really has to struggle to get moderate listening levels.

Do I need some kind of buffer/driver? If so, who the hell makes them?

and by the way, XM's tech support is a bunch of no-talent @$$ clowns!

Huntsville, AL

Post Number: 4
I know someone out there knows about the insides of all of these high-dollar gadgets! Or are we all a bunch of Remote Control button pushers that like the pretty features?

Dsorens
Unregistered guest
Line level amps are available. I recommend talking to a sales rep at Full Compass, or their web page at Fullcompass.com. They sell several makes and models of these "black box" type line amps. Since your source is stereo, you will need 2 separate channels. Stay away from line level interfaces that convert the unbalanced line source (which you have) to a to "balanced 600 ohms (used for professional audio equipment). You will want unbalanced line in & out. I went thru this myself with the LFE channel on my Surround receiver. I was considerering purchasing one of these, but was able to get a schematic, and made a few componant changes to the receiver. If you don't have a technical background, that won't be an option. Best of luck.

Huntsville, AL

Post Number: 5
I kind of figured as much. I checked out their products and found them to be a bit pricey. The XM Radio itself is less than $150, which is what their Line-Amps cost.

Can I build something from scratch?

Say, two unity gain Op-Amps? How many Watts am I looking at being able to source? Any web sites with schematics for such?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us