7.1 Speakers need advice please.

Username: Puri1

Post Number: 1
Hi, Its very confusing when it comes to choosing speakers for HT. So i think the best way to decide is take advice from you guys on this matter.
Details on my HT: Room Type: Basement , Room size: 28ft Length and 20ft Width.
Current System: Amp/Rec : Yamaha Rx-v3900, Front Spkrs: Polk Tsi-500 , Center: Polk CS20 , Surrounds : Yamaha NS-300 towers ( My old spkrs ) , Back Surround: Yamaha NS-200 Bookshelf ( My old spkrs ) Sub: Polk Yammy old model power sub.
So now the problem is the Tsi-500 seems to be lacking on the Bass and mids so overall the output is not what i was expecting but the center seems to be ok then still sometimes i loose minor dailogue with lots of effects. Surrounds and back surrounds im thinking to go with Polk Fxi6 but not sure. On the Tsi500 its seems that these speakers are not the perfect match with my amp may they are under power so do you think i should switch these with RtiA9 and matching center and buy the Fxi6 for surrounds and DSW600 to complete the 7.1 polk system or should i change the complete brand and go with something else. Im thinking of Bic America Acoustech top range series too altough they are Horn type but the price is very very attractive for all 7.1 setup. So please please i will appreciate if you guys can show me the right path because i really dont want to spend all the time on the speakers just want to get over with it once. So im seeking advice and open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1072
The problem with being in a hurry to resolve this issue is the very strong likelihood of having to do the same thing in a year because you are still not happy. You are on the right track in your thinking that one brand is the way to go here (spend a lifetime mixing and matching) but you really need to go out and listen to as many different speakers as you can to determine what you really love listening to.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 876
In this case, less may be more? Better 5.1 rather than 7.1?
Also, mixing brands like the Yamaha and Polk is probably distracting.
It's really up in the air whether the BIC would match any of what you now have.
Are you located anywhere you can go listen to stuff?

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply but i dont live in Us now. Im in Middle east and here you dont get too much of the choices. So my choice is either Klipsch or Polk Audio. I like Polk more not too much bright. So dont you think if i got with RTIA9 with matching Center from the same series and Sub DSW600. On surrounds im confused if i go with the Book shelves or the FXiA6 Bipole/Dipole speakers. Your advice will be highly appreciated thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
The Polk system you describe will certainly sound better than your current system and the dipoles as rear channel speakers are usually recommended for a room such as yours. They tend to do a better job of dispersing the surround sound information is smaller spaces better than a regular speaker. A regular bookshelf type speaker would work better in a wide open space arrangement.

Post Number: 3
Sir Thanks for your reply. So please confirm do you recommend Dipole/Bipole or Tower/Bookshelve for my setup. Because in your post its cofusing that you said both are going to be the best. By the way can you tell me if the Dipole/Bipole speakers or in general the surround speakers do they give bass??. Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1093
I am sorry for the confusion.

Smaller or nicely enclosed rooms such as you describe yours to be can use the dipole technology to disperse the sound.

There is very little low frequency/bass in the rear channels that is handled by the LFE (Low Frequency Effects)/subwoofer.

Post Number: 4
But my room is already very bright as in a little Echo and its not small its 28ft in Length and Width is 17ft. So these Dipole type speakers give a little bass too ? Im really sorry bothering you that much. Thanks in Advance

Gold Member

Post Number: 1094
The first thing to try for a very bright room with echos is hanging curtains just like they do in many theaters. There are a lot of other options, of course, depending on what you want to accomplish and how much money you want to spend but curtains work great!

If your room is enclosed with the dimensions you are stating as well as being in a basement (relatively low ceiling) then I think dipoles will work fine. I say your room is small in comparison to a room that is 50 x 50 with 20 vaulted ceilings (like a movie theater) in which a bookshelf, or direct radiating speaker would be the only choice.

Any good dipole or bookshelf speaker will handle the bass needed for the rear channels of a surround sound system.

Post Number: 5
Speaking of Ceiling hieght mine is 12ft. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us