It will be on your souls if I burn my house down.

Username: Fire_hazard

Portland , Me

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a tendency to not throw electronics out and often times I am able to fix things purely out of luck and a dust gun. My wife set something on our DVD/tuner/sound system while I had it apart and plugged in. long story short we didn't burn the house down. but fried the board. so what I am wondering if there is a way to salvage the sub and the speakers. I assume I can scrap factory plugs and wire up them with RCA and grab a garbage amp.......right?
--

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14541

You want to salvage the speakers and sub from a home theater in a box?

Why?

That's the equivalent of saving all the inner packaging from every box of Cheezits that you've ever purchased.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 872
Unless you are simply destitute or you like this sound of HTIB, I'd say the wife did you a favor.
If you want, save the speakers for a garage. Probably OK to listen to while working on the car or motorcycle.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14612
Do you know that the speakers are unharmed after the aforementioned incident?

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 162
almost sounds like a case of "China Syndrome"

Bronze Member
Username: Oposky2006

U.S.A

Post Number: 16
If the speakers have only two conductor wires coming out of them then yes you could use them with another receiver. The sub is another story as chances are it does not have a built in amp so you would need to find a small 100watt amp to drive it and that may be more trouble than its worth.

Username: Rgathany

Post Number: 2
I'm guessing that this was not an "audiophile" system anyway, but a lot of these "all in one" products have amplifiers equalized to compensate for deficiencies in the speakers. If you use a normal amp, the speakers are likely to sound even worse than before. You probably should start over if you want decent sound.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14542

" ... a lot of these "all in one" products have amplifiers equalized to compensate for deficiencies in the speakers. If you use a normal amp, the speakers are likely to sound even worse than before."

Exactly! Not all but many of the small HTIB type systems and most especially mini-systems have the system equalized internally to make the crappy little speakers sound like something they are not. You cannot duplicate the eq curve with another garbage amplifier - why would you want to buy another garbage amplifier anyway? - and without the eq the speakers will sound like what they are, cheap little drivers in really cheap pressboard boxes. You could honestly do better with a pair of speakers for about $40-60 a pair if you carefully choose your components.

Don't throw them out if your convictions say they should be salvaged but also listen more carefully as those convictions should be saying these speakers should be donated to some worthy charitable cause where guys who can't get over their obssession with cheap "I can salvage that" electronics scrounge for new finds on garbage amplifiers and even worse speakers. Donate them and you can go on with your life.

Yes, you can save them and snip off the connectors to get to bare wire for use as extension speakers but even in the garage - with its wonderful mix of sonics - you probably don't want to bother. Honestly, spend $40 if you really want extension speakers.

As to the "sub" ... it is not a sub. I've never seen a HTIB or mini system "subwoofer" that was anything more than a noise maker. Their inherent design does not allow for the function of a true subwoofer, which is to reproduce the lowest octaves of bass response. These nasty little boom and thump boxes are generally restricted to nothing more than mid 50Hz operation and not very good operation at that. More one note boom than real bass with a box that wouldn't even rival that Cheezit packaging for rigidity you should "donate" this to someone you do not care for then laugh your evil laugh as you quickly drive away. Surely you have a "buddy" who also hoards cheap electronics, let his wife climb all over his b*tt for awhile for having one more piece of crap component sitting on the kitchen table.

I understand the idea of never discarding old electronics, I've seen more than a few closets stuffed full of gear that might find a new use someday. But you sooner or later you need to come to the realization you cannot save every old component out there. You get to be the weird old guy who has 50, 60, 70 or more cats and closets full of old junky electronic parts with a single pathway between the litter boxes, the cat food bags and the closets where you just keep piling more crap away. C'mon, guy! you really think it was an accident that your wife tried to put a stop to your hoarding of electronics by setting a metal tray down on top of an open chassis?! She probably bent down to plug it in knowing she was doing both of you this favor. Ten to one she had a fire extinguisher in hand when she did it - just in case you came running in trying to save the little bugger. Your username gives you away.

It's time to get over yourself about this salvage stuff and head on down to the local shop to find a genuinely new replacement. Forget about hooking these speakers up to the new system as you'll probably cause it to go into a fit also. If you must do something other than trashing the speakers, give them away and forget about the rest. Or use them for target practice, blowing up old junky electronics can be fun from what I'm told. Caps and switches and sub-boards flying all over the place ...

... on second thought, just donate these things to a worthy cause.

And throw away all those old gum wrappers too.

Username: Rgathany

Post Number: 6
Well said (and humorous) Jan.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 877
Nothing beats a trip to the desert with a partially working TV, a borrowed generator, a 25' extension cord and a hi-power rifle.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 832
What, no hootch Leo ?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3668
Leo, you've GOT to take me on one of your desert excursions.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2958
Hi-powered rifles and hooch should not travel together :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3670
I learned that lesson well in my younger years M.R.

Username: Fire_hazard

Portland , Me

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the imput. I found that the 70 watt speakers had 6 wires per and the 100 watt sub only had 2.... wierd.
Any how you were all right. not worth the effort. Im on to bigger garage projects. Modified Power Wheels! I am having more fun with this thing than my son is do any of you have any suggestions in that field?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3674
That looks like fun!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14613
Does so!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2959
I can't see anything!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 880
California has open carry laws, but forbids drunk in public for a reason.
I don't know what that reason is, but I am assured there IS one.

As for me, drinking and firearms simply don't mix. That's how accidents happen. And even if I DO take a shot at the occasional TV, I always obey a set of range safety rules. The supply of good, shootable Picture Tube stuff is drying up fast, anyway, so I guess I'll have to find a new target. Anybody got an extra, slightly worn out auto?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us