Extraordinary Fun!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12176
First weekend in March, it's marked on my calender. My good friend Dale Shepherd will be visiting the crib. Frankly that would be a fab event in itself, for me, but why might you have interest. He'll be bringing some fun toys to play with. Like a 20K+ analog rig featuring the Roksan Xerxes and van den Hul cartridge with a high end phono stage...but that ain't all. He'll be bringing along a Mastersound Due Venti integrated amp and what may be the star of the show, a Box Furniture Company rack. These racks have to be heard to be believed. Now it's their time to strut their stuff in my house or be exposed. I'm bettin' I know which way it will go. Anyway, should be a wonderful evening of friendship, music and experiments. Yippie!

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 830
Have fun Art.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14607
I will be looking for some details!

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 425
Is it a nice rack, Art? Is it a big rack?

Is it a rack that takes two hands to....

Okay, I'll stop:D:D

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12181
NMT, bad boy!

Nuck, I will definitely share photos and details.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 532
I take it your DeVore's will be the speaker used?

Those Roksan turntables are gorgeous. And are only $7,000 a pop! I'm sure it'll be a fun evening, Art.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12183
Yep, will be using the Gibbon 8's. The Roksan table is a work of art and the phono stage is fab as well. I'm actually not sure if the cartridge will be a vdH, Ortofon or Dynavector...it will be one the top of the line either way.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2953
You're a glutton for punishment,Art! Lol!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12203
It's true...how can I go back to my system after listening to that, in my home. It'll be fun...btw Dale and his brother are both musicians. I've been struggling with my voice lately...don't know if I can sing anymore. Time will tell.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2954
Hey, give it go, Art. It's about having fun.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 163
Art, there a karioke bar nearby to hone up on your skills?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3699
Sounds like a great time Art. I'll be interested to know what comes of the gear.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12311
Next weekend I'll try to put something together relative to the evening of X fun.

The first thing we did was take the Saturn off of my rack and put it on the Box rack and I was flat blown away. The difference was incredible. Then we put my amp on the Box rack and the system took another huge leap forward. It was faster with better PRaT. More emphasis on the rhythm section without losing any of the other details. Also tonal richness and correctness improved considerable with the Box rack. When we switched to the Mastersound Due Venti amp everything was right in the world!

My next 2 moves will likely be the Box Furniture Co rack and a Mastersound Due Venti. I will then have arrived where very few moves will be left to make. Upgrade interconnects, phono stage and cartridge and voila...world class music in my home.

I've never heard music on an audio system sound better than it did last night and that is atestament to Dale Sheperd from Eugene HiFi and his understanding of how to put together a system.

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 146
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm wondering how a rack can make such a significant difference, especially since you mentioned that putting your amp on it greatly affected things. I can understand source to a degree with picking up vibrations and all that, and maybe even just having a more solid piece of furniture within the room, but I'm left wondering how where an amp is positioned can make such a sonic difference. I'm not questioning what you heard or anything, I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12312
"I'm just trying to figure out how this works."

Join the club. I have no idea how it works and as you may figgur I don't care how it works...I just know that it works.

The supports are Sapele hardwood and the shelves are a sandwich of different materials including Sapele. The rack was really the star of the show.

http://boxfurnitureco.com/

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12313
The rack right after the second move, the amp from my stand to the Box rack.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3006
Art- The stands from these guys look fantastic. Any idea on price?

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 856
In the write-up I saw, the price was $3700 for a double width stand. They're not cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3007
Wow!!!! I am in the market for a new stand soon but not sure I would spend that with just buying a new vehicle and a baby on the way.

Either way, these stands catch my attention. Very nice construction.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12318
The Eugene HiFi website has the prices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us