HK 3490

Username: Rawrsaur

USA

Post Number: 1
I am looking to set up my first home audio system and I was curious if anyone has used or heard this piece of equipment before. I was thinking about pairing this with Rega's old R1 speakers or some Totem Dreamcatchers / Mites.
Will this tuner be able to push those speakers well?
I'd be using the tuner feature and then hooking up a CD player and a turntable, Pro-ject Debut III.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14537

The HK receiver has sufficient power to drive either speaker to adequate volume levels. If you require ear splitting volumes, you would do better to reconsider your speaker choice rather than buying more wattage.

Username: Rawrsaur

USA

Post Number: 2
Jan,
Thanks for the speedy reply. Glad to know it's punching alot of power then. Have you or anyone heard about its phono preamp? Does it leave something to be desired or is it a good integrated phono?
If the phono section of the reciever isn't up to par, would running a external phono preamp buff things up in that department?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14538

The included phono section should be more than enough for a good start on a basic music system. Of course a better phono stage will sound better but, why? You are going to be limited at some point by what is in front of the phono stage and then you'll want to improve that too.

You should learn the heirarchy of system building before you just begin buying without a plan. The old familiar rut is to consider buying a system and them immediately have plans for upgrading the system you have yet to buy. All that accomplishes is getting you into a system without synergy and without a plan for how to enjoy your music.

I have no idea how you intend to go about piecing together a system but you need to develop one before you start spending cash. Unless you intend to be a gear head who simply buys to be buying you'll find more satisfaction in developing a reference for what direction a system needs to take. Many people simply use other equipment as their reference and they never develop a system that isn't constantly on the look out for the next big thrill. Others head towards understanding music and having sufficient familiarity with the sounds and qualities of live music which then informs their decisions regarding equipment and when a particular component will benefit from upgrading or whether it is best to sit pat. That listener can be satisfied with what others might consider a meager collection of components because they chose each piece wisely and not just on impulse to buy something new.

Do not confuse "upgrading" with buying more gear, more cables or for that matter buying anything. Getting the system to be more transparent is the ultimate upgrade and it starts with obtaining the most quality possible out of the system you already own. Buying higher quality components when the system set up sucks is like letting the air out of one tire on a high performance sports car. That means not ignoring placement and set up and employing subtle manipulation of the system and the listening space (very important!) to get more involving music and less mechanical artifacts. Mostly it involves thinking and not just buying.

IMO most listeners just beginning to put together a system should do a lot of listening in mono so they avoid the constant trap of wanting a system that images better, throws a wider soundstage or simply has "better" highs. Pay attention to the music first and foremost, it is supposedly why you are piecing together a system with higher quality than a home theater in a box.

An HK receiver paired with some Rega speakers is not the be all and end all of systems but it can make very satisfying music if you don't get your head into buying, buying and buying more stuff. Get to know the system and what it can accomplish and what it lacks and then establish your priorites around how that compares to the sound of live music. Don't read what some other jerk says about your components and decide you need to change because they like "X" or "Y" component better than what you own. I promise you, no matter which piece of equipment you decide you should own you can find someone who will say you really should own it.

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=1820917#POST1820917

If you are truly just beginning in this hobby, find a decent audio shop and not just a box mover. Do plenty of listening and thinking, no knee jerk reactions to needing to buy something just to be buying something. You are either in this hobby for the music or for the gear. Which it is will determine your success at putting together either a compelling music system or just another collection of boxes. I would urge you to find your own way and do so by paying attention to the music. If you can do that, then you'll find even a modest system can get to the intent of the artist with ease and precision and you won't be chasing the brass ring day after day. Know when you can live with what you own and not lust after the next item on someone else's agenda. Do not allow the pursuit of the system to consume the music.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us