Front Speakers - Help me choose! :-)

Username: Franck72

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone, first time posting here!

I bought the Sony STR-DH800 AVReceiver (110W per CH, 770W total), and i'm looking for two front speakers to complete my 7.1 surround.

I have 2 options here :
1) Sony SS-F6000: 180W peak, 40hz-50Khz, 8 ohms, 3 way (6.5''/3.25''/1'')

2) Yamaha NS-777: 250W peak, 100W RMS, 30hz-35Khz, 6 ohms, 3 way (8''/5''/1'')

What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Francis

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14523

That's it? Just those two to choose from?

Post Number: 3
Well in that range of price...

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 869
Get 2 better speakers now and add more as you can afford them?

OH!
I see this is to complete the set......what do you have now? Are either of the candidates a sonic 'match'? If they vary in sound you will be able to tell easily when the sound field moves around. It will be distracting.

Don't worry about the watt 'rating' of speakers. It is a near-meaningless number.

You could always sell what you have now and start over with a 'less is more' approach. Fewer / better would be more satisfying, perhaps, than a non-matching 7.1 system that changes tone as the sound moves.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14526

I can't figure out what the price range is for "these" speakers. Let me rant for just one minute at your expense. I'm getting so tired of people who post absolutely incomplete information - model numbers to Sony, Yamaha, etc. for products that don't lead anywhere or incomplete model numbers that we're supposed to just recognize - and then they expect us to know what the h*ll they're talking about. If you want help, provide the information we need to give that assistance. I don't know what the price range is for these speakers nor do I much care to go looking for a price when every seller of these speakers is intentionally obscuring the price. It is a large waste of my time.

Here's my advice no matter what the price range is for "these" speakers; they are crap. I don't care how many reviews you can find that say, "These are awesome speakers", or anything else about them, they are crap. Just looking at the pictures you can see they are crap!

Do not get fooled into thinking the more drivers in the box the better the speaker. Just exactly the opposite is true. The more drivers you put in a box the more you have to spend on crossovers to allocate a specific frequency range to each driver. The more crossovers you add the lower the quality of sound due to the trade off inherent in crossovers. The more you have to spend on crossovers that screw with the sound the less you have to spend on drivers - and on a high quality box to put them in. Everything in a three or fourway floorstanding speaker with a gloss black finish is expensive to build well. Doing it cheaply just makes for a lousy, crappy product. You are buying a speaker for its lack of sound, it's ability to not introduce distortions and additions or more importantly subtractions to the incoming signal. It simply can't be done well at what appears to be the price range of "these" speakers. These are Bling and that's about it. Why waste your money on this stuff?

Find a better speaker for the same amount of money or save a bit more until you can buy something of quality. Stop looking only at the bargain price and look instead at the quality of music reproduction.

Here;

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/535728.html

Kind people have already done the leg work for you. Over 200 posts with suggestions for speaker bargains that are actually not too bad in even the worst of the lot. You're wasting your money on that other stuff, just buy a pair of decent speakers for the front and be done with it. Simple is better when you are buying speakers on a budget. If you have speakers now, you don't need to buy something just to be buying something. If you truly cannot afford any of the speakers listed in the thread, wait until you can afford something of quality rather than throw your money away on more crap from mass market idiots.

Read this; https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=1834485#POST1834485

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14588
2 speakers built of wobbly pressboard in a flyweight package, both the same.

Rated to 30Hz, 250 watts peak, weighs 27lbs.!!

Francis, if these were truly worth a bargain basement price, somebody here would have owned or at least auditioned them.

I know that's why you asked, and now ya know.

Welcome to the forum!

Post Number: 5
Thanks for your answers, I'll try to look for higher end speakers, I got some names down... The thing is I live in Canada so I don't get all the deals you guys get!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14592
Francis, have you gone out to listen to any speakers?

Like, maybe Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 in rosewood? hehe

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2988
I live in Canada and I get amazing deals.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14534

Francis - You know what stops most people from succeeding?

They've already come up with an excuse for why they are going to fail.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14596
CanuckAudioMart

Lots of deals to be had Francis.

Those Wharfes are 500$, new.
Shop around, but KNOW what you are looking for!

Are you in Quebec?
Naww. If you were in Quebec, you would have said so instead of Canada, LOL! kidding

Post Number: 8
Sure am from Quebec! Just not a separatist! :-)
I'll look into CanuckAudioMart, thanks a lot!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us