Two words that should NEVER be the the same sentence, "Marantz" and "Slimline".

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3183
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olfU4RyYAvQ

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2933
Why Chris?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14586
Thats the bald guy from Bay Bloor radio in Toronto, with his annoying voice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3184
Maybe I'm a relic of a bygone age, but audio gear is not one of those technologies that I need to be slimmed down; I mean how much space are you actually saving? Might there be unforeseen ventilation issues, electronics hate heat? And as much I might not like it to be so, there is something Freudian at work with BadAss electronics IMHO, bigger & heavier is almost always preferable to a dainty & featherweight counterpart.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3185
Without plugging two receivers in for an evaluation (or CDP, or Speakers, etc.), I'll take the heavier one, almost every time.

And I'll bet I'm right more often than not.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 867
Ya gotta think, 'intended use' and 'intended user'.

Casual / less than critical user in a part time use. Dorm room? Small den? (why HT in there is another question?)

Problem will be when it gets parked in a real tight spot and it gets cooked.

How much back panel connectivity did they sacrifice in this design?

Just my opin, but the majority of HT receivers are ugly anyway.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3186
D&M should market Denon to the HT crowd, Marantz to Hi-Fi'ers, and McIntosh to Nuck.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2938
I dunno Chris, if Marantz make them any bigger we'd have to set them on a dinner table instead of a rack. Lol!

My SR-7002 only has about an inch to spare on the largest shelf of my rack (don't worry it's well ventillated), the thing is a monster.

I don't recall the video mentioning the power of the slimmer product, but I know there's not too much room wasted in my Avr.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3187
As we all know, technology tends to get smaller, better, and cheaper over time, and while that might be fine when it comes to cell phones & MP3 players, when it comes to amplifiers, I like them BIG & heavy; it makes me think I'm getting something substantive for my money.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2939
I guess Bel Canto is not on your short list then. Lol!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2985
My 3b is half the physical size of my NAD but weighs 20 pounds more.lol. But it is still big. I am picking up what your putting down Chris.

Is that the guy from Bloor? Thought I recognized him.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3641
Is your 3B the shallow chassis Nick? Mine is maybe only 10" deep, but is like lifting a cinderblock filled with lead. No wonder they have handles. I'm with Chris on this one, I want my audio gear to be big and badass. A McIntosh integrated on the rack looks a lot more impressive than an iPod docking station.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3642
"I guess Bel Canto is not on your short list then. Lol!"

I don't know many who would put the Bel Cantos on their list. My local dealer had a pair of Refs on demo for awhile and he told me that after listening to them for extended periods of time, he found nothing musical about them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3188
Actually if you tap on the Bel Canto with some drumsticks, they really can be quite musical.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3643
That would make for some expensive drums.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2940
Just goes to show you can't trust reviewers Dave.

Never heard them myself.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3646
They seem to get a lot of good "professional" reviews - I think they're even a Stereophile recommended component, for what it's worth. I heard them briefly at the shop a few years back, and I remember them sounding fine, if not a little sterile. Maybe after an extended session their "attributes" become more apparent.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2986
Are the Bel Canto class D? ewwwwwwww. hehe.

lol Yeah David only about 10 inches deep and like lifting a bag full of shot put balls. So heavy.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 868
Bel Canto uses the ICE modules....from the ASP series.
Not that it matters.

My PSAudio w/what they called 'gain cell' as the pre of my integrated warms up the modules a bit. It took a while to run in properly with my panels and yes, it can be a little crisp with setup key.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14587
If the Marantz is downsized to appeal to to small room listening, then consider...

The speakers and sensitivity. If the speakers are quite sensitive, then the amp delivers rather low wattage, which means..

The amp is likely .1W in Class 'A', or another class altogether.

If it is going to live above 'A' its entire life, in a small space, then the thing need never get hot.

But the rep there says it is just as Marantz builds it's other analogue amps. If so, I would want to see the cross from 'A' to 'B' at a very low output.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us