Newbie, please help.

Username: Abbyying

Post Number: 1
i am looking for tower speakers.. very limited budget. lots of speaker on craig's list. i can see prices.. i can google model numbers but i really have no idea of quality. prices range from $125-300 for a pair.. thoughts?

bose towers 301?
theater research tr2920?
PolkAudio R50 tower speakers?
Infinity RS4?
Polk Audio RM 8000T?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 514
I haven't heard any of those, but I think you'll find that most people will say Infinity in general are pretty good for the money. Polk would be next. Stay away from Bose. I've never heard of Theater Research.

Keep in mind this isn't my own opinion based on experience, just what I've read from others, and it only applies to the brands you listed in a general sense.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 852
If the 301s are the same as my neighbor has, they are not towers and certainly not worth even the low price quoted.
Of all they Bose I've heard, they were good as any, better than some, notably better than any of the mini cube things. But, that isn't saying much.

At your hi end price of 300$/pair, there are any number of speakers of better value. Check posts in this site for speaker bargains.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3661
Theater Research is one of the White Van brands. Google White Van Speaker Scam to learn about their quality.

Bose is a step up from them, but not much IMO.

Infinity and Polk are the only realistic options here. Chose the better condition speakers is really all I have to say.

Post Number: 2
i think the ones i find most intesresting are the Polk Audio RM 8000T the offer is $300).. is any familiar with the model?

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1026
If you have ANY chance to go to Best Buy and listen to the Polk speakers they have there I think you would be doing yourself a huge favor. If they sound great to you then the purchase of the used pair will be a lot more satisfying.

Post Number: 3
they do not carry that model.. maybe it is older? not sure where else to look. a couple of websites have them for sale.. amazon has one for sale for $650!

i really am new at this.. i had a cheap-o surround sound system and when we hooked up a new blu ray.. we couldn't hear the dialouge! so after some research, i go out and buy a center speaker (Polk Center CS 400i.. also craigs list, $100) but center speaker is now overpowering everthing else. i would would like the taller tower type to tuck in next to entertainment center (per wife's request). i get memerized by the original price of the speakers. i know very little, so im my head, well, if they cost $1000 new they must be good!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1027
The thing with going just to listen is to get some idea as to whether you like the sound of the brand while comparing them with others there in the store. Just to make it more confusing, even if you buy speakers that you have auditioned at a store they will sound different when you get them home, but again, you are trying to get some idea as to what you like to listen to. As for cost dictating good or bad I would have. As for the cost, well the best speakers are what makes you happy listening to them no matter what the cost (and Lord help you if your tastes run to the truly expensive )

Post Number: 4
i am not sure how much i trust my ears. with my history of the louder the better punk rock music, i probably need someone at best buy type place to walk me though what i SHOULD be listening for. thanks jim, that is good advice.

funny, just looked at your location, i work with a guy from lvonia.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1422
At your price of $300, you can get bookshelf speakers from PSB, Paradigm, Klipsch, and Infinity.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1423
I almost forgot about http://www.htd.com

and http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=speakers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us