Phase Technology Speaker Questions?????

I am chomping at the bit to get my system put together and start listening. I was hoping that Magnepan would have their Center & Surrounds (to go with the MMG's) ready soon, but in calling them, they are still hoping for factory direct sales by the end of the year. I was told the Center/Surround combo would be in the neighborhood of $300, I almost ran off the road at the econmomic price. I am also waiting on my entertainment center to be shipped from the company that built it...next week (7th week) is what I've been told.

My question though is about a new line of Phase Technology speakers hitting the showroom soon (Early Nov). It is the V-12 Grand Home Theater System consisting of two V-12 fronts, one V-6 center, two V-surround rears and the HV-1200 sub. It runs for $2200 and I've been offered a $1900 deal from a dealer in the same town as the Phase Tech manufacturer (Jacksonville, FL). Any personal or professional reviews on this speaker manufacturer is greatly appreciated.

Or.....(sorry for the rambling)...should I just take a chill pill and wait for the Maggie's to arrive?

I'm going to pick up the NAD-752 receiver tomorrow and possibly add a DVD player to the mix. I anxiously await more great assistance from this wonderful forum.

Jim

Hawk
Jim:

I will admit I haven't heard the Phase Tech speakers you are considering, but I have heard earlier Phase Tech speakers and I was not impressed (other than their subs). In my experience, they do not have a very deep soundstage. However, I think you should audition them and let us know what you think. It may be better than I suggest and it may delight you--that is the very reason to get a system.

However, I have to tell you my eyes popped out of their sockets at the news that the Center/surrounds combo for the Maggies would be only $300! Is that $300 for both the center and the surrounds, or is it $300 for the center and another $300 for the surrounds? Either way, what a steal! I would wait on the Maggies, myself.

Hawk,

As always, thanks again for your most valued input to my audiophile "rookiedom". I have been offered the capability to take these Phase Tech's home for a weekend once they come out on the market next month and will take full advantage of that.

As far as the Maggie's are concerned, I was so flabbergasted by the modest amount the lady gave me, that I didn't take the time to ask if that was a "total price", or a "price per" quote.

I am going to be doing alot of driving tomorrow, partly to pick up my NAD 572 Receiver, so I'll call Magnepan again and ask that very question and post the response here when I return home late tomorrow evening.

Hawk, I know this is the speaker section and not the DVD forum, but do you have any recommendations on a Universal DVD player that won't break the bank, yet will play SACD/DVD-Audio and most other formats with great clarity and definition? I've researched the Denon DVD-2900 ($999 Crutchfield) and the Denon DVD-2200 ($599 Crutchfield). Any others that you might suggest?
Regards,

Jim
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us