Denon 3805 vs. AVR 630

MZ
Unregistered guest
Hi everybody,
(I am from Berlin, germany so please excuse my english)

I am trying to decide weather I should get a Denon 3805 or an H/K 630. While the Denon has more features and a metal front - no ccoling fan, I think the H/K has probably a "warmer" more livley sound? I listen to Jazz and Rock and Like a powerful warm sound that does not cover up details. Would like to tune up my system to 7.1 in the future. I have Canton LE Loudspeakers.

I know, I should hera it myself and see what I prefer (I will)

but maybe anyone who has heard both Receivers can tell me what they think, I am better off with

Thanks!
Greetings from Berlin

Marcus

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 935
I have heard them both and I preferred the H/K using Axiom and Aperion loudspeakers.

cheers

Username: Bleu_allen

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 2
I have heard the Denon has better overall bass extension and that the HK is more musical but lacks a little in the details. The HK sure looks sweet. I have also heard that the Denon 3805's remote is not the most user friendly.

You might also look at the Yamaha rx-v2400. It has a great surround setup feature and terrific remote.

Bleu

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 322
But the Yamaha sound is not so pleasant for music, it's too harsh. Other good options are Marantz SR7400 and Pioneer VSX-AX3 and VSX-AX5i, check them out if you want nice warm and detailed sound. The Marantz is especially good with music, while the Pioneers have lots of power and a good set of features.

MZ
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I totaly agree with landroval Yamaha just sounds harsh, I had the 1400 which had great features for its price (even PLIIx automatic Setup System) but its definatly no musical Receiver!

I will check out Marantz as well.

Other Comments on the Denon 3805 and avr 630 from poeple which already heard both are welcome..

Thanks,

Marcus

Tyler_W
Unregistered guest
MZ - I'm the guy from the Cambridge vs. NAD vs. H/K thread. I listened to quite a few other receivers besides those three, but since I didn't bring them home I didn't comment on them. But for whatever it's worth, my "in store" impressions of some other brands of receivers that cost roughly $700 (I can't recall the exact model numbers anymore) were as follows: I agree with you about Yamaha... good, well-made stuff but the sound wasn't what I was looking for. Pioneer didn't have the sound I wanted either. Both Denon and Onkyo sounded nice but seemed a little bland or something. They just didn't excite me.

As for Marantz.... my previous receiver was a Marantz. I had a lot of trouble with it (background hiss and noise, the remote quit working, parts of the display were getting dim, and the video section never did work quite right). So even though it sounded good (especially for music), I didn't want another. The H/K sounds sooooo different. I wouldn't necessarily describe the sound as "better" over-all, but it does sound much more "gutsy" even though the Marantz was rated at about the same power.

MZ
Unregistered guest
Hi Tyler,
Thanks for your answer. So you would say the 630 is much mure powerfull? What kind of Marantz did you have before the 630? Its funny, that what you expierence was with Marantz quiet a lot of poeple in germany expierence now with the new H/K Models (hiss and noise, go up to Maximum Volume although, they didnt touch the controller etc.) Thats whay I was thinking double about getting a H/K but I guess, as your expierence shows you can have bad luck with every brand...

Tyler_W
Unregistered guest
MZ - Yeah, every brand of just about every kind of product puts out a lemon now and then. I would never discourage anybody from getting a Marantz based just on my experience. When it worked right, that receiver sounded darn good. It had a smooth yet detailed sound that was very enjoyable to listen to. I don't think the 630 sounds more "powerful" exactly... it doesn't play any louder... but the H/K seems like it has more "balls" :-)

MZ
Unregistered guest
Hey Tyler Thanks four your reply- I know what you mean since I herad the 630. It shows of its muscles you could say ( or in fact it has balls :-) But I found that it some how shifts details in the background. Unfourtunatly I couldnt listen to a Marantz so far but I guess it has more details but does it therefore sound like its lacking power?

Tyler_W
Unregistered guest
MZ - I know what you mean about the sound of the AVR630... I think what you describe as "shifting details in the background" is the same thing I meant when I said earlier that H/K sounds kinda "thick". But I'd be surprised if the 430 sounds much different. The two are almost identical except for power. And when I listened to various H/K receivers at a retailer before ordering the 630, they all sounded that way to me.

I doubt you'll find the SR7400 to be lacking in power. I think you will find, though, that all Marantz receivers sound very different from H/K. Not better or worse... just different.

Username: Lamia1

Post Number: 1
I think the bigger picture is the auto eq feature in the Denon, which is going to make a much greater difference in your sound than anything else. This can make good speakers sound great, and no matter how good they are, the room's effects on the sound can ruin the final sound. But it doesn't have the best surround logic decoding. The HK has a high current amp so will go louder and cleaner than you might expect. And it has Logic 7, which is one of the two best surround decoding circuits I've heard. I am an eq and a surround junky, as you might have guessed. In the end, both are good, but I would suggest paying more attention to what the equalized sound is like in the Denon, and then compare surround decoding on stereo sources. The KH remote is also poorly designed, but looks good.

Unregistered guest
I have the marantz sr8400 and recommend it highly.
It is warm, yet detailed, and I have not had one problem yet. Great build quality and remote. I picked it above the denon 3805 or pioneer55txi

MZ
Unregistered guest
Hello everybody,

As I didnt have the chance really to listen to a Marantz. When choosing between a Denon 3805 and AVR 630, I picked the avr 430.
@Phillip
I think the automatic Setup System is overraded. It does nothing more than sendingb aout an Testtone and the Mic that should be placed at your hearingposition somehow "guesses" the distance of the diffreend speakers and adjusts the crosssover Frequenzy of every LS. It is just to make the use much more easier but not necesserly improving the sound really.. At least thisnis my expierence withe Yamahas automatic Setup System YAPO. I dont know about denons but I guess its very simular.
I like good sourround modes as well, there is nothing better than listen to a good music DVD or CD with a good sourround programm.

Greetings from Berlin

Marcus

Anon
Unregistered guest
I bet to disagree with you MZ. I too have 1400, its sounds good on music and even better in movies. Maybe you just paired it with a not so nice speaker.

Anon
Unregistered guest
I bet to disagree with you MZ. I too have 1400, its sounds good on music and even better in movies. Maybe you just paired it with a not so nice speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 330
The 1400 sounds good on music compared to what?

MZ
Unregistered guest
Thats the point Landroval ;-)) Exactly compared to what? Well, Anon I am pleased to hear that you are satisfied with your 1400 but with my Cantons which I wouldnt nessescerly think are really bad speakers, the 1400 sounded harsh.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1019
MZ,
Anon can disagree with you all he wants and really is not important. But the point is you made your choice and it is what you like, you have only yourself to satisfy and not the people who disagree with you. I'm sure you will not return your purchase because Anon says the 1400 sounds good on music and vice versa, he won't exchange his 1400 for something we all agree upon, don't you think?

Enjoy your new toy and have fun listening:-)

cheers

MZ
Unregistered guest
Hi Berny, landroval Tyler etc.

Iam really amazed how powerfull this thing (avr 430) is I heard it serveal times in a store but in my own home it sounds even more powerful! Also it is not focused on Details it has detail. The are included in this powerfull way to play. It is a very musical
Receiver. IMHO Yamaha cant compete with h/k at all as far as music (Music comes alive with it!) and Power is in focus !

Greetings from Berlin,

Tyler_W
Unregistered guest
MZ - Glad to hear you like your new H/K 430. I'd think the sound would be very similar to my 630. I never can resist taking the cover off new audio stuff :-) and all the circuit boards are marked "AVR430/AVR630". So they must be almost identical except for maximum power.

The H/K's really are gutsy, huh? And have you noticed how sharp and clear transients are? Things like acoustic guitars, percussion, etc.

MZ
Unregistered guest
Hi Tyler,

They are indeed powerfull "little" mashines :-) Very Clear Sound, so I always have to pay attention how loud I actually hear music because they is no distortion in the sound. Although I have to say, that the automatic Chanel adjustment thing on the remote does not really work, at least not with my system. I am using different kind of Speakers in the Front and in the back, so maybe thats why. I did the Chanel adjustment myself with a fav CD and my own ears and got much better results. Its a very musical Receiver! I even have the feeling when whatching a movie it focuses more on the Soundtrack than on effects. Talking about acoustic guitars and percussion. Eric Clapton unplugged sounds great with it, like almost any kind of Muisc :-)

Greetings from Berlin

Tyler_W
Unregistered guest
MZ - I didn't have much luck with that "EZ-set" thing either, even though my speakers are all Athenas. I borrowed an SPL meter from a guy at work. I thought I had my levels pretty well matched by ear... but after using the meter, movies really do sound better. Seems like even a db or two one way or the other can make a difference.

MZ
Unregistered guest
Tyler,
I might try that also, thanks for the hint. Have fun with your 630 :-)

Marcus
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us