Amp advice for Jamo

Username: Maguire245

Post Number: 1
Hello all, a nice forum you have here and I hope someone can help me.

I have a pair of Jamo Compact 1000 series and a pair of Jamo D265 A speakers.

I would like to know which is the best amplifier to power the D265 A's, because some people think a power amp should be used on them, but as we know that can ruin a hi-fi speaker.

Do I need to put in 200watts of hi-fi amp power, or will that just sound rediculous? Should I go for something 100watts or less?

Many thanks in advance, Harrison.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3633
"...because some people think a power amp should be used on them, but as we know that can ruin a hi-fi speaker.

How so?

Username: Maguire245

Post Number: 2
Some of the signals power amps produce can damage a hi-fi speaker if it's very sensative, it's better to have a A/V amp.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2866
Who told you that?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3634
The only way you're really going to damage a speaker is if you drive the amp (seperate, integrated, or receiver's internal amp) beyond its abilities - clipping. Distortion kills speakers, very, very little else does.
There's no difference between 'A/V amps' and any other amp. There are different types of amps - class A, A/B, D, tube, and so on, but those aren't relevant to this discussion.

A seperate amp will probably give more honest power and control than a receiver's amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14467
Yep.

What scraggard is saying this is not so?

Wattage is rubbish. Speakers ain't got no watts.

The amplifier will deliver what you ask of it until it has no more to give.
But then, as an added bonus, some amps will give you the trash to take out.

If one cannot hear the difference, then one should go to best buy.

Some amps clip very hard, some very easily.
You really, REALLY need to know how your amp is reputed to clip. Or try it.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 402
HFM, I've never heard such a thing.

Seperates amplifiers typically deliver a higher quality current and are much better for driving speakers, compared to most mainstream or less expensive HT/Audio Receivers.

From what I have been taught, it's Recievers or amps that have poorly designed power supplies or cheap implimentation of power supplies; that are more likely to clip out due to a lack of quality current/power and fry your speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us