Help me choose a receiver for my Polk LSI System

Anonymous

My system will have:

-2 LSi9 Speakers (Front)
-2 LSiFX Speakers (Rear)
-1 LSiC Speaker (Center)
-MAYBE 1 LSiW (Sub)

I'm looking for a cheap but good receiver that will drive these well. I have a tight budget so remember, cheap.

Thanks! :-D

Anonymous

By the way I need it to have Prologic II. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 908
There are plenty of cheap receivers out there, but it really is useless without a budget. The list is quite long without something to work with.

So, how much are you willing to spend?

Silver Member

Post Number: 909
And could you verify if the LSi 9 are 4 ohms? If that is the case, your receiver choices will be narrowed down, too.

Anonymous

Yes the LSi's are 4 ohms. I dont know maybe about $200?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 371
Anon,

Not to sound harsh here or anything, but you have over $2500 retail worth of speakers (without sub), and you are only wanting to spent $200 on a receiver? This doesn't make much sense to me. Those are some kick a** speakers and no receiver costing $200 will do them justice. Also, with a budget of only $200 and those speakers being 4 ohm, you are pretty much out of luck unless you can find some miracle deal on ebay or something. There are very few receivers even in the under $1000 range that can handle 4 ohm speakers. The cheapset thing I can think of that has been reported to handle 4 ohms is the NAD T742 which can be had for $449 (last I heard) from Saturday Audio Exchange (www.saturdayaudio.com).

I know that you probably want to get all of this really soon, but my best advice to you is to possibly take all of this in stages. Maybe now you can take all of the money you were going to spend on speakers and get a great receiver and just the front speakers. Then, in time, when you get more money, you can purchase a center speaker and then finally the surrounds. In the end, you will have a MUCH better system than you would have getting it all now. Those speakers are wonderful...but they need some power to sound good, and in my opinion, a cheap $200 receiver just won't cut it.

Anonymous

Ok say I wanted to spend $400. Are there any 4 Ohm receivers out there?

Silver Member

Post Number: 913
Have you looked around for receivers? You have excellent speakers but like Johnny stated, your choices are really limited. You would probably be good to look around the used audio gear sites, like audiogon, staturday audio and there is another one recommended by a MR V who comes around this forum.

The problem with the 4 ohm speakrs is that not a lot of cheap receivers out in the market can drive them without having heat problems. Do you already have these speakers? If you do, save your cash to get a good receiver.

Anonymous

If I use the NAD T742 will they sound bad and/or explode?

hehe

Silver Member

Post Number: 917
no, the NAD can drive your polks quite easily and one of the few that can and sound good.

Check out some of the harman kardon avr series receivers, they have ample power supplies to drive 4 ohm loads. You may also want to check out the Panasonic sa-xr line of digital receivers, but from what I've seen, they can only drive down to 6 ohms loads, so you may want to check.

Anonymous

Um, are we talking about the T742 right? Its not meant for 4 ohm loads. But im just confiming because the similar T743 is much more expensive but is for 4 ohm loads. You did mean the T742 right?

Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Hello All! AJ here! New to this forum!
I have owned the lsi7 speakers! Excellent speaker, value far beyond their price!
As far as the receiver goes, take your time, internet, brick and mortar open box sales etc1 I agree with Johnny, this kind of quality speaker ensamble really dictates a decent power source! I have just recently picked up a H/K avr 330 ($799.00) on sale for as low as (594.00)open box, like new at C.C for $247.00 including tax. I shopped for a few weeks, like anything else, a numbers game!
Also, check out the JVC 8030, a real sleeper, excellent! Also, Yamaha, 640, on up, to lets say the 1300, 1400 series! If you spend time looking I am confident, you will spend less money, and end up with more than you think you can for what you want, or can afford to spend!
AJ

Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 2
P.S! I have all three of these receivers for side by side comparisons, driving 4ohm Wharfedales, with a sensitivity rating of 86-87! NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THE THREE RECEIVERS DRIVING THE SPEAKERS BEYOND RESONIBLE LIMITS!
AJ

Silver Member

Post Number: 924
the T742 can handle as low as 2 ohm loads.

mau
Unregistered guest
I have polk lsi15 fronts, lsic center and lsif/x surrounds also a psw 650 sub. I am using a yamaha rx v1000 and the sound is incredible.

TWN
Unregistered guest
I am now using Lsi speakers and NAD T742, it works perfectly and I am very happy with the sound quality.

For Anonymous in the first post, if you more prefer music to movies, may be you should consider substitute the surround to Lsi7, it is more directional and it is vital for music reproduction.

FYI, saturday audio now offering T742 at only $399. Hope this can fit in your budget. If not, I think you may need to look for used gear on ebay or audiogon.

Theetopdawg
Unregistered guest
Hey there, I use lsi15 in front, fxi5 surrounds, lsi7 in the rear and lsiw for my sub. I started w/the onkyo tx 901nr receiver and WOW was it loud! Clear and AWESOME!!! However, the programing and unfriendly remote drove me to the Yamaha rx v2400. Yamaha says it has 110 watts compared to the onyko at 100 watts, but the onkyo is a much superior receiver. The Yamaha rx v2400 is GREAT for the price and works excellent with movies, but cannot work the speakers as the onkyo did...yamaha rxv2400 is $700.00 bones on ebay. I suggest you save your $$$$!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us