Problem with denon avr-1910

Username: Derrtel

Post Number: 3
Hi guys, I have a problem with my avr-1910 I just acquired that I didn't have with my previous avr-1707

I can't get any sound to my tv from the receiver. I have my a blu-ray disc player, xbox 360, hd-dvd player (still own some movies I bought years ago) and my satelltite Tv machine all connected to the receiver with HDMI cables. Picture is great and sound is great through my home theater speakers but I can't get sound to my tv with the hdmi output, it's only transmitting picture to the tv ...
I checked the owner manual and the receiver can't transmit sound to my tv through the hdmi cable because I have to choose between tv or speakers (which I think is stupid and I can't believe I can't get both).
I prefer having the home theater speakers rather than the tv speakers to do the sound but still I'd like to have the tv speakers too because it's more simple for the kids when I'm not around.

anyone have an idea how I could solve this problem?
Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14428

Kids and home theater systems are dangerous combinations. However, if they are of an age where they can follow basic instructions and not veer off into the ditch, leave the TV speakers switched on. Show them how to operate the TV without using the HT system. When you want to use the HT system you'll simply need to turn down the volume on the TV before you begin.

Otherwise, within one system, the owner's manual doesn't lie. You'll need to decide whether you want the internal TV speakers switched on or off.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the help but I think you misunderstood what I meant or maybe I said it wrong.

TV speakers are turned on but the problem is that the receiver is not transmitting any sound at all to the tv. The only sound I can get is through the HT speakers. I would like to be able to get both sound from the tv and the HT speakers. This way, I could use the HT speakers by turning on the volume on the receiver, and I could turn it off when I'm done, so that the kids could watch TV when I'm not around and listen to the TV speakers by turning the TV volume up and not having to touch or do anything on the receiver.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14430

Normally, you'll have to go into the set up menu for both the receiver and the TV and switch on the appropriate outputs and inputs. This should be described in the owner's manuals. A quick call to the Denon retailer should prvide an answer also.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 791
UHHHH, I'm no HT guy, but are there some RCA analog outputs you can run over to the TV?

Is that too simple?

Post Number: 5
there are 2 RCAs output but they don't work, well there no sound going to the tv neither. I can't check right now because I'm at work but I just thought maybe I could use the zone 2 rcas and plug them to my tv? would that work?

Or maybe it's my tv that's not "reading" the sound from the RCAs because there should be from the hdmi even if theyre plus in the same input?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14433

That's a bit of a mishmosh to make sense of, DM, but, no, you don't want to use the zone 2 outputs. Try the set up menu and make certain the ins and outs you need are switched on.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2592
­
Derik, your first alternative is setting the HDMI audio output. Go to the receiver's master menu (see page 18 of the manual) then

select 4. Manual Setup then
select 4.2 HDMI setup then
select TV (instead of AMP) (see p. 28)

This tells the receiver to pass audio on to the TV via the receiver's HDMI output from the selected HDMI input. The manual isn't clear on whether the receiver will continue to provide sound to the surround system and to the TV simultaneously. If not, you'll have to go back in and change the setting back to "AMP" when you want to listen to the external audio system.

Alternatively....

The receiver will not transcode the digital audio coming into the receiver via those HDMI inputs to its Zone 2 analog stereo line output. However, Zone 2 still should work, but only if you run analog patch cords from all sources into the analog inputs on the receiver, such as those marked CD, DVD, Sat/CBL, VCR, etc. See pages 30 and 51 for zone 2 setup. Also the Zone 2 possibility will work only if you have a stereo line input on the TV. Most HDTVs will have one set in tandem with one of the HDMI inputs to accomodate people who need to run DVI (which does not carry audio) into one of the HDMI inputs. Obviously you would need to have the receiver's HDMI out going into that particular HDMI input.

In any case, the receiver will have to be powered up no matter what the situation.
­

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 797
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
Wow, Glad the HT bug never bit.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14436

"In any case, the receiver will have to be powered up no matter what the situation."

Yes, if those connections are made, the receiver will need to be powered up. However, if the decision is made to allow the children access to only the satellite and DVD player, those two devices should be able to operate with RCA connections run straight to the TV. Both should output to the RCA's and the HDMI output without makign a decision either/or.

You should be able to assign inputs (as in "Video 1" or "Cable") on the TV to those sources and still have your HDMI connections operational for the HT system. The children will need to be taught how to switch through inputs on the TV but, if that's possible, then they need only turn on the TV and the source they are using. That would simplify some of the problems with the kids.

The TV still needs to either be on "fixed output" for the audio and speakers or on "variable output" with the speakers switched on. 99% of TV's have no other option. "Fixed output" would not be a good idea with the above suggested set up. It will require a variable output level and TV speakers on.

Maybe it's time to buy the kids a TV for another room?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2595
­
"However, if the decision is made to allow the children access to only the satellite and DVD player, those two devices should be able to operate with RCA connections run straight to the TV."

I agree, a second hookup bypassing the receiver would work -- provided the TV has enough inputs. Some of the newer displays have up to 5 HDMI inputs, and are down to only one composite in. Often, if they have two, one of them is on the front or side of the panel. I feel it's a little too premature to do away with composite and S-video inputs right now. Geez, there's still people still using non-HD cable/sat boxes and VCRs out there.

It is problems such as this (and the upcoming 3D thing) is why we will be seeing source devices with 2 HDMI outputs. Panasonic's latest Blu-ray player has two. If DM's sources had two HDMI outs we wouldn't be having this discussion. I'm beginning to appreciate why TVs are coming with so many HDMI inputs.

"The TV still needs to either be on "fixed output" for the audio and speakers or on "variable output" with the speakers switched on. 99% of TV's have no other option. "Fixed output" would not be a good idea with the above suggested set up. It will require a variable output level and TV speakers on.

I don't understand why you're bringing up the fixed vs. variable issue. This applies to the TV's analog audio output...if it has one. We're not using the TV's audio output for anything here. The TV's internal speakers are either on or off. If they're on they're always variable.
­

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14443

"I don't understand why you're bringing up the fixed vs. variable issue. This applies to the TV's analog audio output...if it has one."

It applies to setting the volume output from the TV's internal speakers. The first post indicates there are TV speakers.

"We're not using the TV's audio output for anything here."

I didn't say we were. In fact, I suggested not using the line level audio output but he'll need audio output to have the TV speakers operational.

"The TV's internal speakers are either on or off. If they're on they're always variable."

And that's how the post reads. At least it does if you pause at the "or";

"The TV still needs to either be on 'fixed output' for the audio and speakers

or

on 'variable output' with the speakers switched on.

99% of TV's have no other option. 'Fixed output' would not be a good idea with the above suggested set up.

It will require a variable output level and TV speakers on."

If the op wants the kids to have the simplest operation, then they use the TV speakers only and don't touch the receiver at all}. You may understand the variable level operation but I'm not certain the op does. Therefore, I tried to explain how to set the switches in the set up menu.

OK?

Post Number: 6
Problem finally solved !
Turned out zone 2 option didn't work because apparently (i.e. according to the manual) you cannot output the sound to the tv using Zone 2 preamp out (RCAs) since it's from a digital signal (HDMI).

What I did instead is to remove the HDMI that ran from my satellite to the receiver and replace it with a fiber optic digital cable I already had, then run 3 component cables plus 2 RCAs for the sound to the TV (my TV only has 1 HDMI input since its 3 years old).

So now I can enjoy the great HT sound using the receiver when I want, and it makes it easy for the kids too because they can control everything from th tv now.

Thanks to everybody for trying to help me!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2596
­
Good show Derik. You certainly wouldn't want to do such a thing with your Blu-ray/HD DVD players, but you're not missing a thing by using the component/optical outputs on the sat box.

Username: Manaspen

Post Number: 1
You guys are awesome and you don't even know it (well maybe you do). John S. I have been trying to get my Zone 2 done for the last week and after reading the manual only 45 times, the simple - hey, use RCA instead of digital, line and BINGO. Tunes outside, kids watching cars inside. Genius.

Thanks
Manaspen
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us