The demise of HDCD - relevant for a new CD player?

Username: Nbaudio

Post Number: 2
I was just wondering if anyone has read any reports/articles about the success or failure of HDCD now that it is 2004?

Seems to me that it is destined to be a fringe proprietary technology despite (or perhaps because of) Microsoft ownership.

I agree with Sun King who said in an earlier post that he didn't have any HDCD's and he's a collector - same as myself, and anyone I've talked to doesn't even know what I'm talking about, yet alone own one.

Does anyone know if royalty need be paid by record labels to publish an HDCD? That would be a sure death of the format.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering two CD players, one with HDCD and one without.
I figure it's irrelevent to my decision at this point. I will be buying a separate SACD/DVD-a when/if I ever buy any of those either.

Comments or links anyone?

Bronze Member
Username: Persvako

North Europe

Post Number: 20
I think it's really a minority format. I think it doesn't make sense to buy a player just for HDCD. Because there really are't so many good HDCD's in the market IMHO. In the Asian it's more popular, like you can see in this sponsor shop of Ecoustics's. www.8t8t.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us