Need Bookshelf Speakers for McIntosh MA6100

Anonymous

Just bought this used from a friend. Very warm sound, but doesn't mate well with too warm of a speaker. Any good recommendations under $1,000.00?

Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 5
A couple that come to mind might be Triangle or Dynaudio. I hear that Green Mountain Audio and Jean-Marie Reynaud are supposed to be pretty good.

The Mac amps are on the warm side, but still can sound great. I have an MA6200 which sounds amazing. It was like pressing a 3-D button on my system when I upgraded (from some pretty nice Arcam amps). You'll have a nice rig with your budget.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I guess it depends on what type of music you listen to, the size of your room and a few other things to consider. I use Mac tubes with older Spica Angelus and have heard from another who bought his Spica's used that thinks he has a very good system for the money.
In new speakers I would look at DynAudio, KEF, Paradigm, Spendor, ProAc. The closest speaker to the Spica's sound right now, I would say, are the Vandersteens. They have more bass heft than the Spica's and a slightly warmer sound but I've heard them with Mac and, in the right set up, they sound very good with a wide range of music and are never fatiguing.
That should keep you busy for a while.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us