Plate Amp Question

Username: Audioclinictech09

Post Number: 1
Ive been trying to search for an answer to my problem here, but i cant find one. I have two dayton audio plate amps that i recently bought. Neither have the humming problem (so im happy) One is the Sa100 and the other is the Sa240. They are both the same amp except for the wattage. I have two single voice coil subwoofers in seperate boxes. Each plate amp has rca inputs and outputs and phase control. My question is how can i hook them up to my subwoofers? Is it posssible to use both amps on both subwoofers? And how would i? The problem is i dont wanna use one amp on each subwoofer, id like to send them equal wattage.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14393

You cannot piggyback amplifiers. Even if you could, the last amplifier in line would be the one providing all the wattage/ Each individual amplifier goes to one dedicated subwoofer.

Post Number: 2
Even if i split the + and - on each amp and ran a + and - from each amp to each sub? There is no way at all to wire them in series or parallel to have each amp power each sub?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14394

You are a persistent little bugger, aren't you?

No, there is no way you can parallel two amplifiers into one single coil driver. The final amp is providing all of the power no matter what connection you make.

Now, you can ignore me the second time and go ahead and try it. But you will blow up both amplifiers if you try it for too long.

'Kay?

Post Number: 3
I know im sorry, but it just seems like this should work. What do u mean when u say final amp? Both amps have the same signal going to them. I guess i dont see what the problem would be if you powered a sub by two amps... I see some serious car setups that guys got a bunch of amps powering like two subs? I just need a little explanation

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14396

Those guys have crossovers and dual coil drivers, you don't have either.

"Final" amp means trying to hook one amp up to feed its output to another amplifier's input.

An amplifier is meant to work with a low level - sometimes called "line level" - maximum input voltage of maybe 2 volts. Current runs in the milliamps on the input side. Amplifiers produce large amounts of voltage and substantial amounts of current. When you try to drive one with the other - driving large amounts of voltage where there should be small amounts of voltage and several amps of current where there should be milliamps of current - they both blow up.

Should you try to connect the outputs of both amplifiers to one speaker you are driving one amp with the other amp at each amp's outptus. For much the same reasons as above the amplifiers both blow up.

You can't do this as you wish. If you want to go over to the car stereo section and ask them how they drive their subwoofers, they might have a different answer but that's the only one I have to give. And it's been the only answer every time someone asks how to hook two amps together to get more power.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us