TR-2900 Theater Research 2900

Username: Rod

NY

Post Number: 1
Any one else ever buy these speakers? I have looked all over the internet with a bunch of different search engines. So far the only place i have seen mention of them is in an archive on this forum. No actual review of the speakers was listed, just a couple posts questioning the product and the manufacturers integrity. I decided to take a chance on them cause i found them on Ebay for 200 bucks.
So here's what i found out about these speakers when they finaly arived on my door today.

Specs:

Built in amp (subwoofer) 2X200 watts
Power handling 30-400 watts
Frequency response 40hz-180hz 85dB 0.1%
Dimensions 442mm X 287mm x 1075mm (Don't ask me why this is in milimeters but they're about three feet tall)
2x6 inch mids 1x1 inch tweet 1x10 inch sub (per speaker)

I bought these to replace a couple of old RCA's that i have had for 10 years or so. They still worked great but i replaced my whole home theater with new equiptment so the look of the old school wooden RCA's had to go.
UPS dropped off the speakers and i brought them into the den. Opened the box and took them out. UPS managed (as they do with everything i have delivered) to knock a nice hole in one of the boxes on the bottom so of course there was a crack in the speaker. Ok whatever i think to myself cause its just the underside of the base and it cant be seen from the top anyway. (So have everything delivered fed ex is the lesson there)
Anyway i hook up the speakers turn on my amp and my xbox and throw a movie in it. The results were alot better than i was expecting from a no name company that doesnt even have a website. Honestly i don't even think they are an american company. They are office based out of california but who knows where the product actualy comes from. (probably malasia or something like that)

Anyway here is the real deal about these speakers for anyone that is thinking about buying them.
The copmpany claims that these are "Professional loudspeakers for musicians movie theaters and recording studios." And they "are sold at retail stores around the world for $2,499.00" (Which is conveniently stamped on the box, that part made me laugh.) These two statements are a load of cr@p. They are by no means pro quality speakers. I am an A/V tech for 6 years now and i work with pro equiptment all the time. They are not musician quality either. They are however perfect for a mid priced home theater. The subs are not the best i have heard but but they are not by far the worse either, i didn't really want them for that anyway as i already have a nice sony sub. The mids are of decent quality and the high is not irritatingly over pitched as with some other floor towers i have heard in circuit city *cough*pioneer*cough*.
So overall these speakers are not Bose or Polk but they are not Pioneer or Dual either. I would say they rank somewhere in with Infinity and Sony. So for the 200 bucks i spent i think i got a pretty good deal. If they break anytime soon i'll post again to let every one know. Hope this answers any questions people may have had while searching for a review or any information about these speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us