Can a CD player be repaired?

Bronze Member
Username: Motherheavy

SOUTH CAROLINA

Post Number: 13
I have an older Sony CD player (model CDP-590) that has some problems like at times it will not fully play through a track or other similar problems.

Were it not for the features I'm not finding on other players (headphone volume control, fade-in/fade-out, search for 'loudest' part of a track or set of tracks or whole CD) I would just buy another CD player.

Any idea what the problem(s) might be and whether it is even repairable?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14351

Most such problems relate to the transport/laser. Parts might or might not be available and cost might certainly be prohibitive. Take it to a shop and ask for an estimate of repair cost before OK'ing any further actions.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3512
Most older mass-market CDP's in my opinion should probably be treated as disposable once they start malfunctioning.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2928
I agree. Buy new/used and use the Sony as a paper weight. Imagine the paper it could hold down. Actually, you could color it up and sell it on Ebay as a paper weight. I would buy that in a second.

lol I am just being silly. No really scrap it.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 763
I sure wish I could find a laser for my original, Magnevox/Philips fd1000, an original 14 bit player.

Other than that, as a working curio, forget it. Parts it out.

Bronze Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 25
Yes agree to all you people...!!! According to me David you should take your cd player to the shop and ask them to repair it and yes also ask the estimated cost to repair it.. If you find that repairing cost is ok then just go for it.. else buy the new one...!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us