Ordered my first HT sub - little help needed

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1323
Hey guys, I finally ordered a sub for my HT (entry level Dayton 120HT). On sale for $120

Few questions/concerns:

This subwoofer doesn't have a direct output jack, but instead 2 RCA jacks, so - correct me if i'm wrong, i bought a Y adapter (connects behind sub) and regular subwoofer cable to connect to sub jack in my receiver. This is the correct way to connect the sub right?

Second, adjusting crossovers and gains. I have been reading and almost everywhere I see people say to use the crossover in my receiver - set it to 80- and turn the knob behind the sub all the way up.
What about gain? Gain would be considered the amount of power the sub is pushing out, right?
what should this be set to? Or is this set based on personal taste on sound/bass?

There are other connections behind the sub - i would assume for my speakers. I don't wish to run my speakers into the sub - i'd rather run them straight to the receiver along with the sub. Would this be the best option?

Since I can only look at the pic of the sub (from parts express), i also see two more adjustments that can be made behind the sub. I can barely make it out but it looks like 'mono' and or 'bypass'? any ideas what the settings should be on these?

I have done a lot of reading and decided this would be the best sub for me at the moment. The bigger problem and challenge would be to find the best location for this sub - which i know would be found by using trial and error method.

If there are any tips or settings I should be aware of, please do point them out to me. I am in the learning phase right now on HT systems and really cant afford to make a mistake that will cost me lol.

Thanks guys - appreciate you reading this and helping out if possible. I will be posting pics of my stuff once its finalized.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 962
http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html

http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq5.html

http://www.customconnectionsonline.com/faq6.html

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1325
thanks....that helped

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3520
I set my sub's crossover at around 40hz. The reasoning for this is that my speakers go down to about 39 hz, so this way I don't get any overlap in frequencies between my sub and my mains.

Maybe this is flawed thinking, but it's the way I've always done it.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14356

"This subwoofer doesn't have a direct output jack, but instead 2 RCA jacks, so - correct me if i'm wrong, i bought a Y adapter (connects behind sub) and regular subwoofer cable to connect to sub jack in my receiver. This is the correct way to connect the sub right?"

I assume you mean "input" jack, which will connect to the receiver by using either a single or dual interconnect. The "subwoofer output" or "LFE output" of the receiver should be used and the line then runs from that output to the subwoofer. If you have only one subwoofer output jack on the receiver or input on the subwoofer, it really doesn't matter since bass is mixed into mono below about 100Hz. There is no deep bass that is only in one channel. Even when you hear bass coming from one side of the soundstage you are hearing cues taken from the higher harmonics of the signal which emanate from the main speaker and the subwoofer is still operating in mono. This is accepted procedure for how discs are mixed and there is nothing to concern yourself with regarding how many inputs and outputs your system provides.

Whether you use a "Y" connector to split the single interconnect into two lines at the sub or run the single interconnect to only one channel of the subwoofer's input (the side which has been designated the "mono" input side) is up to you. The only real advantage of using the "Y" connector is the addition of another +6dB of overall gain to the system by having both inputs driven. If you can reach a suitable level with only one channel driven on the subwoofer's inputs, then you have no need for the additional gain. Since you have the "Y" connector go ahead and use it even thought it's not really needed.

"Second, adjusting crossovers and gains. I have been reading and almost everywhere I see people say to use the crossover in my receiver - set it to 80- and turn the knob behind the sub all the way up."

The 80Hz suggestion comes from the THX standards which have very little to do with how consumer HT receivers operate today. THX specified a 80Hz crossover for all subwoofers - if your entire system is not THX licensed and you are not running THX licensed discs, then the THX standards mean virtually nothing to you.

With most modern HT receivers the suggested way to set crossover points is at the receiver. Advance the crossover control on the sub to its highest setting and make your actual crossover setting in the receiver's set up menu. This avoids having two filters overlapping with one at the receiver and another at the subwoofer. You only want one crossover point and that should be set at the receiver.

Where (what frequency) you set the crossover point at the receiver is largely up to your main speakers and your taste.

For standmounted speakers you might want to set the receiver's crossover frequency slightly higher than the specified low frequency limit of your speakers. Try running your speakers both as "small" and as "large" in the receiver's set up menu and adjusting the crossover point up and down by about 10-20Hz either direction. Since you are not running a system with standards such as the THX systems adhere to there is no single right or wrong answer to where you set the crossover point. Listen to a variety of material and make your decisions based upon what you hear. The aim of the set up should be to make a smooth transition from the satellites down to the subwoofer without too much or too little midbass in the crossover region and without sacrificing clarity through the (vocal) midrange.

The proper set up of a subwoofer is a gradual adjustment of many values and once you have the sub dialed in at one location in the room you can begin to work on "the best" location in your room and then possibly make further adjustments to the levels.

"What about gain? Gain would be considered the amount of power the sub is pushing out, right?
what should this be set to? Or is this set based on personal taste on sound/bass?"

Ideally, gain is another item set at the reciever. Advance your subwoofer's gain control to its maximum level and them make your adjustment in the receiver's set up menu. Due to the wide variance of speakers any sub might be paired with there may be some imbalance in a setting made strictly at the receiver. If this is the case in your system and you cannot adjust the subwoofer's level down sufficiently to mate well with your main speakers, then you will need to make some adjustment at the subwoofer. First, try unplugging the "Y" connector which knocks the gain of the sub down -6dB and then re-adjust levels at the receiver. If this is still not enough to balance the levels, make adjustments to the gain control at the subwoofer. Normally though you can set both the crossover and the gain controls on the sub to "max" and make all adjustments in the receiver's set up menu.

"There are other connections behind the sub - i would assume for my speakers. I don't wish to run my speakers into the sub - i'd rather run them straight to the receiver along with the sub. Would this be the best option?"

A single interconnect to the subwoofer makes for the cleanest installation. Other than that, since you're not running a THX system, the choice is yours. It would be wise to try the high level speaker inputs of the sub as they sometimes sound cleaner than the line level. However, for most people main speakers run directly from the receiver and subwoofer run from the "sub out" is fine.

"Since I can only look at the pic of the sub (from parts express), i also see two more adjustments that can be made behind the sub. I can barely make it out but it looks like 'mono' and or 'bypass'? any ideas what the settings should be on these?"

It would be a good idea to read the owner's manual before you ask these questions as most of this is covered in the manual.

From the PartsExpress website; "The amplifier features high and low level inputs, filtered high and low level outputs, phase switch, volume control, auto on/off (activated by an input signal) and a variable 12 dB/octave electronic low pass filter."

I would say you're looking at a picture of the phase switch and the auto on switch. The manual should provide sufficient information about both switches.

Locating a subwoofer for best performance is detailed in many set up procedures. Use a search engine to read about how to go about finding the best location in your room. I would discourage placing a subwoofer in a corner on the floor. This provides the most midbass boost due to reflective surfaces being in close proximity to the driver and will too often cause a boomy bass. Though the room corners will almost always give you the most bass, they will not always provide the cleanest bass performance. Do some reading and you should do fine with placement if you have the patience to do the job right. After you've got the sub placed where it sounds best, you will very likely need to go back and fine tune your crossover and gain controls at the receiver.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1346
thanks Jan....seems like you really went out of your way to answer my questions...i really do appreciate it.

My apologies, I didn't know the manual was online for the sub - regarding the pics.

Anyways, i had received the sub and have not completely set it up yet. I still want to position it at different locations in the room to see how it sounds.

I also ended up putting the fronts to small - mainly because on large it would get too boomy and didn't really have that 'clean' sound to it. I'm guessing if my move my sub elsewhere, I may need to set the fronts to large again. Right now the sub is placed right next to the fronts - im assuming this is the reason it is sounding boomy.

The sub itself is very nice. I couldn't be happier with the way it performs. I can FEEL the earthquakes rather than hearing them and everything in the room literally shakes.

I do have one question which I could not find the answer to on the website - Does the sub have a break in period? Would turning it too loud in the beginning sort of 'hurt' it?
Sorry if this question sounds dumb to you guys - again, I'm still learning.

Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3529
Probably a good idea to go easy on it for the first little bit.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14372

I'd say the sub has no real break in period. The electronics of a plate amp are pretty basic and shouldn't show any significant changes as the caps settle in. The driver is only reproducing low frequency information (for the most part) and its output should not normally be in an area where break in makes any real difference. Of course, all mechanical devices settle into their specifications over the first few hours of use so you might notice a bit of tighthening to some sounds. But, then again, just how tight is a car explosion?

The best reason for not running amock with levels at this time is to allow yourself time to learn the limits of the driver. I built a DIY Dayton sub and they do shake the room in a HT system. It's unlikely you will drive the amplifier beyond its limitations before the driver itself cries foul. Keep the levels reasonable for the first few movies and you should be alright.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14396
Since the Xo is a 2nd order, you can expecta kinda lazy rolloff in the upper regions of the unit, and that may add some bass blur to music. Keeping the cutoff as low as feasible is recommended.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1349
Thanks!

by cutoff low, do you mean setting the crossover somewhere between 60-80?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us