Marantz 7200 Front Channels Inop -- Troubleshooting Help Needed

Username: Kevinlmccarthy

Milford, MI USA

Post Number: 2
Dear friends. I need your wisdom. I have a Marantz SR7200 that is not delivering output to front right & left channels. I have confirmed speakers are OK by hooking up center channel output to right front speaker. Sub preamp output is delivered to the right front speaker, which is then linked by cable to left front speaker. (Front speakers are Newton T300 Towers from Cambridge Soundworks (rest in peace). Total speaker set-up is 6.1... no apparent issue with Center Front or any Rear speakers.

A couple of years ago, a solder joint broke on the sub cable connecting the RF and LF speakers, so being lazy, I simply unplugged the cable and powered down the LF speaker.

Today, I fixed the sub cable linking the RF to the LF speaker only to discover no output from either the RF or LF speakers. Again, I am confident speakers are OK.... How do I diagnose receiver function? Is it possible to damage a receiver by de-linking the sub cable between RF and LF speakers?

I am at a loss and really need to regain my system. Please advise.....

Grateful in advance...... Kevin in Michigan.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14319

"Today, I fixed the sub cable ... "

My first guess would be you made a poor fix.

I don't know this speaker and its configuration but a single cable that carries both L/R signals would not normally be a single RCA connector and more likely is a DIN type with small connecting pins.

There's a very good chance you created a shorted cable by allowing some solder to bridge the two channels. It's also possible you broke a conductor/connection while handling the cable.

Disconnect the cable at both ends and use a multimeter or continuity tester to check for shorts or open conductors.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us