Plate amps and passive subwoofers!

Username: Avsc

Post Number: 1
Newbie technical audio questions! pt1..

I just recently purchased a new a/v receiver with the purpose of reviving some old JBL G40 cinema speakers. Nothing fancy. Their purpose is strictly for music and the budget is tight. No fancy wires, just absolute necessities. The goal is to have things simply work again.

I find out that the subwoofer is passive (not powered) and one of the older posts on this forum suggest I purchase a plate amp.

My options are the:
Dayton SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier
Dayton SA25 25W Subwoofer Amplifier

The specs for the subwoofer I want to resurrect are:
ACOUSTIC & ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
'¢ Nominal Impedance: 8 ohm
'¢ Max Amp Power: 70W
'¢ Frequency Range: 45 Hz '" 2 kHz
'¢ Sensitivity: 87 dB SPL, 1 Watt @ 1 Meter
'¢ Crossover Frequency: 150 HzAURAL SWEEP

I am an absolute newb to this but I'm just going to follow the familiar adage "better safe than sorry".

Suggestions about which one of the plate amps I need? and will installation be difficult? I read somewhere the plate amps don't come with instructions and I was hoping someone might have some experience with that.

The current wiring setup goes like this:
Receiver -> subwoofer -> 2 front speakers.

Since these JBL speakers originated from a "home-theatre in a box" package, my new a/v receiver with the subwoofer RCA output won't connect with the speaker wires of the old JBL subwoofer.

I would like to use that dedicated subwoofer output but does that mean I should buy/build a new subwoofer instead of purchasing an amp?

Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us