Need recomendations for floorstanding speakers HELP!!!

Username: Patrick1359

Post Number: 1
I am in the market for floor standing speakers under 200$ and if necessary, 300$. I have a questionare from a different thread that might help:.

a. What % of your usage will be music vs. HT (home theater)?
I will mostly use it for music and PS3

b. What types of music do you listen to the most? (classical/jazz, rap, rock, etc.)
Classic Rock and occasionally modern music (Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Linkin Park, Nickelback, etc)

c. What types of movies do you watch the most? (action/thriller, drama/comedy, etc.)
Action. I will also be playing a PS3.

d. How big is your listening/viewing room?
Medium

e. What kind of receiver/amp will you have?
Denon

f. Do you have a subwoofer or plan to get one?
I have a klipsch subwoofer and a yamaha subwoofer

Anyways I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. I also need high quality speakers that really show the detail out of the music. I also like to play my music a little louder than most people. Thank for all your help.

Post Number: 2
Ok I am thinkin about getting polk audio monitor speakers 60 or 70. Is there anything wrong or anything to be concerned about with these speakers?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11710
They should be fine for your application.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14296
Cerwin Vega. Trust me.

Post Number: 3
I also said these is because they are only 180 at new egg. If anyone can find any coupon discount for these please tell me. If it helps I plan to purchase them sometime next week. Also, is newegg a trustable source for speakers? Thank for all your help. I also heard that cerwin vega was not great in the mid-range and tweeter application. Is this true?

Post Number: 4
I also found some sony SS-F7000. Are these any good for HIGH QUALITY!!! listening??

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3140
http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/InfinityPrimus.html

If you're intent on staying around $200 the P252 will not disappoint.

http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20090801.htm

The P362 are a even better, rivaling speakers costing many times more, but they will set you back about $300.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/605infinity/

Post Number: 5
I honestly never heard of infinity primus and dont know what kind of quality to expect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3141
Patrick, that's why I provided you with two pro reviews.

You asked if the Sony SS-FF7000 were any good, I suspect they will meet your needs. Infinity is one of the biggest players in home & car audio, a simple Google search could have told you that, and the suggested speakers are excellent and exceed Sony in sound quality by a wide margin.

Good luck.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11715
Infinity Primus have very good build quality for the money, however I couldn't live with them for very long due to listening fatigue. I will add that I'm hypersensitive to high frequencies and not everyone will experience them like I did. I think Chris has them and enjoys them very much.

Post Number: 6
yes i have beeen googling them but a little pricy

Post Number: 7
nevermind i found them cheaper but i am still looking

Gold Member

Post Number: 3142
$200-300 was your budget, right, and now you want to spend less; Sony or Polk might be your only options?

Where did you find the Infinity speakers for less?

Post Number: 8
I found them cheaper via google. And no, i do not want to spend less. 200-300 is the correct budget. I change my mind about the sony, there crap but I like the look of the polks so far.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14301
how about a link, Patrick? Somebody else might use it.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2902
For the 300 range I feel Energy and Infinity/JBL offer a better speaker than Polk do. Just my opinion. Keep looking Patrick.

Post Number: 9
Ok I think I have made a good decision. I am going to go with the Polk Monitor 70 and would like your opinion. I also went to to a professional audio store and found that they carry phase technology, and had speakers for about 150 each but where bookshelf speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3145
Patrick, either you've made a decision or you haven't, is it floorstander or bookshelf speakers? Is it the Polks or are you still shopping?

Are you buying on looks, what have you listened to, what did you think? What are you expecting us to tell you?

Post Number: 10
I am definantly staying with the floorstanding speakers. Yes it is the polks. I listined to some tsi500 and they sound good. I would like to know if anyone thinks these are bad or good.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11736
If you like them why does it matter what we think? Not being a smart aXX, just asking.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14308
I spent some time at Future Shop today and heard those very same Plks.
It is a 20X20 room with 30 speakers in it, powered by a receiver of some sort.
Impossible to judge anything other than connectivity in that place.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14309
Unless your listening session exceeded mine today, Patrick, how will you ever know if the product is any good?

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 128
...What's wrong with bookshelves, especially since you have a sub? You're going to get more for your money that way.

Although, I bet those Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 and 9.4 towers on TSTO are a damn good deal and the Polks in that range probably wouldn't touch them. Still not sure what's wrong with bookshelves, though.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11740
Oh yeah, those Diamond 9.4's would be good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I will look at the diamonds and I beleive that bookshelf speakers do not reproduce the sound as good as a floor standing can. I also relized today at the pro- audio store.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11742
Realized what?

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
A higher end bookshelf speaker will destroy a lower end tower, even if they cost the same. Maybe not in superficial things like extension....But the quality will be far superior. Bookshelf speakers are cheaper to make and design, so more is going into the quality of the build rather than excess materials in a cheap tower. There are many of us on the forum who use bookshelf speakers with very good results.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2903
wow... Patrick...Bookshelfs CAN absolutely produce as good as sound, if not in many ways, better sound than a similar line of tower speaker. Depends a lot of room configuration, speaker stands and relative equipment. Nuck is right, coming home from a Northern trip today I too stopped into a Future Crap store to pick up some Blu Ray movies and there is not way, in he!!, that anyone can have a good audition in there.

You wouldn't want my opinion on Polk speakers, you wouldn't like it. But Art is right, who cares what my opinion is. Get them home and if you like them then I am happy for you. I know a lot of people that dont like Monitor Audio speakers but do I care? Nope!! I just hope you are audition speakers properly.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11743
OK guys, show of hands.

Paradigm Studio 20v4 vs Paradigm Monitor 7v5...

Only those of you who have heard them please.

Patrick, your assertion that bookshelf speakers don't sound as good as floorstanders is ludicrous. They often have different applications, however for pure fidelity bookshelf speakers often sound better than floorstanders. The DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 3XL sounds better than my Gibbon 8's, and I flat out love my 8's but the truth is the truth and the 3XL's speak nuthin' but!

I think you should buy the Polks, you like the sound. Who are we to tell you that you're wrong.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2905
LOL Well The Monitor 7 V6's which I have blow the doors off the V5's Art but I would still take the Studio 20(any version) any day. Especially for a music only setup. I have heard every Paradigm speaker known to man more times then I can count.lol. What about the Paradigm Signature 2's vs the Monitor 11's? lol Ok now I am getting carried away.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ok I am 75% sure about getting the Polk Monitor 70. I have heard that these have some cabinet problems and that is why you should buy TSI-500 instead. Is this true? Also I am getting these speakers because they are extremely cheep on newegg and I have a coupon. So basically I am going to get them and would like word on the cabinet problem. Also unless someone knows HIGH quality speakers for around 120-150 a piece then please tell me. Thanks For All The Help People.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
All cheap towers have cabinet problems (hence why I'm not understanding the hate against bookshelves, which are less likely to have the same issues). Any recommendations you get in that price range are most likely going to be bookshelves, though I stand by my Diamond 9.4 suggestion which are $300 for the pair if you still won't budge on the tower thing.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11745
You are right Freddie.

The Wharfedale Diamond 9.4's will outperform the Polks, Infinity's and many others, however at Patrick's price point standmounts are the best bet for quality sound. But he ain't a goin' to listen...so buy the Polks.

Agreed on all accounts, Nick.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
From what I see, the Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 is not a bookshelf. It is a floorstanding. Also the nominal impedance is 6 ohms and my electronics are 8 ohms. But if they are somewhere made with 8 ohms I would probably look into those a lot too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
and Freddie and nick, you also make really good points. And Art, I will listen to what you guys recommend.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11748
Honestly Patrick, I really do think you should buy what sounds good to you. You have to listen it and not us. Enjoy the hunt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I also took into consideration about the high quality bookshelf speakers and came across the polk audio RT55i and have come down to the final decesion between polk audio RT55i and Monitor 70. I have a klipsch subwoofer also with crossover control too. THANK FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11751
Let us know what you get and how they sound.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
The problem is the area I am located in (Lubbock) has absolutely no place that carries these speakers and I don't know anyone that has them so I can listen to them. I also know how important auditioning the speakers is. So my question for you guys is, which one do you think I should get?

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Indeed the 9.4 is a tower. What I meant by not budging is that you can get the Evo2-8 (or a whole bunch of other speakers) which is vastly superior but is a bookshelf for the same price. Even the 9.1 and 9.2 bookshelves with the same components are likely to out perform it because they don't have all that excess enclosure that is likely to have issues (though again, I'd put money on the 9.4 being built much better than any Polk in that range). 6 ohm shouldn't be a problem however, I drive mine with a cheap surround receiver and they sound great and the receiver has never done anything funny from the load.

But yeah, if you're set on the Polks then go for it. I'm sure you'll be happy. Unfortunately Polk dealers that aren't named Best Buy are nearly impossible to find. They do exist, but generally all their dealer locator will show is Best Buy.

Bronze Member
Username: Chimpkin

Parkersburg, WV United States

Post Number: 12
I have compared the Polk Monitor 50's and a set of Infinity Primus p362's in the same room, same electronics. The Infinity will destroy the Polk. I would look to get a set of the Primus P252 or P362. Frys.com sometimes has incredible deals on these. I bought a pair of the P362's with shipping for under $300 from there.

The Polk's aren't horrible. Good speakers for the money, but you can do better. Good Luck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14319
Patrick, toss a wink at Buddy Holly's statue for me, will ya?

Username: Wireos

Post Number: 6
Well, do you have any idea about getting Wireless Speakers.?

Username: Whitefish

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Wireless speakers are usually pretty crappy. Better go with a regular good quality speaker and use a wireless add-on if you really need wireless, such as the http://www.amphony.com/products/wireless-surround-sound.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us