Possible Receiver to Match Current Speakers?

Username: Mochajava

Post Number: 2
Instead of replacing both my current receiver, a Sony STR-GX4ES and my current speakers, Snell Acoustics K/II (http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/191snell/index2.html), I would like to update the receiver only to handle a home theater-like set up. My goal is to update the receiver to handle HDMI inputs, run the K/IIs, and perhaps add a center channel (the room is pretty small and the wires running across the floor are apparently unacceptable). Ultimately, if my wife and I complete the expansion of our living room, then I will add the rear speakers since I will be able to hard wire them into the expansion.

In my preliminary research, I realize that I can spend thousands of dollars on a receiver, but that is not realistic at this point. What I really want is a receiver that will hold me over for about two years before I can build a more serious system. That is why I would like to change just the receiver at this point rather than speakers and receiver (although any recommendations for a temporary center channel speaker would also be appreciated).

Given the parameters listed above, I really do not want to spend over about $500.00 for the next (temporary) receiver. Are there any sleeper receivers out there that are up to this task?

Bronze Member
Username: Methenewbie

Post Number: 49
There's a whole bunch of receivers out there for under $500. Are you going to use this with your speakers alone and nothing else? Blu-Ray? Xbox? Cable?

Username: Mochajava

Post Number: 3
The two primary purposes for the newer receiver will be one watching hd/movies with my Samsung 40A550 and two listening to music (that is why I like me Snells; as this review says they are very neutral and I l like that (http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/191snell/#)). The article says they have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms (it also has a bunch of other info that is way beyond me) and I am wondering how many "budget" receivers can drive them.

I do have a Wii but am not really concerned about that driving my decision on a receiver (if nothing else, it can hook directly through the TV's composite connections the way it is now). I do have Blu-Ray on my laptop with an HDMI out but I am not sure how much I am going to be using it. As far as cable goes, I am paying for an HD signal that comes through a Motorola HD DVR cable box and is hooked via HDMI to my TV (since hooking this up I notice that my Samsung's sound is even worse). I have a cheap Panasonic upscaling DVD player using one of the other HDMI inputs into my TV.

I have been waffling back and forth between the Onkyo 607, 507, HT-160, which are all closer to my price range, and the 807 because it rated down to four ohms (is this really a concern?).

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer would be great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us