Amp Build

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2985
How Amps Work

I finally got around to measuring this amp.
Upload

I had to make it fit on here, but I think you can see.

The dotted line is the soundcard's sound response before being compensated, the blue line is the compensated response, and the yellow line is the amp with bass boost turned on.

The amp's top response is probably limited somewhere in the multiple 100k hz, depending on inductance.

When the bass boost is on, it complements my headphones all the way down with a slight rolloff in the headphones. It is just right and makes everthing sound without midbass boom.

I ran the amp as high as I could without overdriving the sound card - max S/N ratio.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14295

Given the roll off of the soundcard at 50Hz and the measured performance of the amp at the same frequency your "boost" circuit must be providing +30dB of goose.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14294
Very clean goose, it sh!t 2 minutes ago.
Andre, where do you think your cans roll off, and how does the 'boost' help you in the lower registers?
is it possible that the loudness switch is giving you some sizzle in the cans that you would not appreciate with mains speakers?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2987
No the boost is based off of the compensated FLAT response, so it is correct.

My Headphone Response
Upload
If you look, you can see the amp matches up well with the rolloff of my headphones. It may be a little bit above flat in the bass (2-3dB), but it basically extends the response. If I listen to Pirates of the Caribbean without the boost and then with the boost, the boost is clearly much better. It adds the powerful effect back to the music. It makes it very 'moving' - if you will.

My mains roll off relatively high, so there is no comparison. And what loudness swtch? This is just a boost circuit I designed to compensate for my headphone rolloff. It's not a perfect match, but it does very well for my needs.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 729
Can the phones take the extra power in the lower freqs? Can the amp provide it.....cleanly?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2990
Can they take the extra power? Thermally yes, 3 watts, mechanically, the limits are around .7v I would say, which is louder than I listen (I might make it to .3 if I am rocking).

The amp will give me like .4 cleanly, my receiver gives me the figure of .7 for the limit. I don't know if something more powerful than my receiver might do better. I am guessing yes. I need an oscilloscope.

Anyway for me.. and my listening levels, pretty good. I don't know if they make 'long throw' headphones. These pressurize my ear cavity pretty strongly at high levels.

My friends like their music a lot louder than I do...

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1382
people actually like to listen to music louder than you?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2993
Obviously you think I like blowing my ears out when, in fact, I just like a strong presentation (strong deep bass)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14320
Pfft, MW has played so loud in his room that I had to turn it down. THAT'S LOUD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us