Hawk and others.. is this Ridiculous???

Anonymous
Hello, guys.

Doesn't it make sense if i am comparing B&W 602.5 S3 + B&W LCR600 + B&W 601 S3 + ASW600 (System price $2,050) with Ascend CBM-170 front pair + CMT-340c center + CBM-170 rear pair + Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer (System price $1,300)? I listened B&W at my friend's place several times so i am very aware of that, but never listned to Ascend. My room is about 300 sq.ft. and I am looking at Marantz 5300 or NAD T752 or Denon 2803. Please advise me.

Hawk
Don't get the Denon. Otherwise you will be just as frustrated as I am (a Denon owner who is ready to shoot his 3803). Also, if you are looking at the 752, it is way better than the Marantz. It would take a Marantz 7300 to be comparable to an NAD 752.

Yes, I think the two speaker choices are comparable, so you are not being ridiculous. Now, they have very different sounds, as I recall (I don't own either set, but I have owned B+W 601s in the past and I have heard the Ascends). The B+Ws are more reserved than the Ascends, but both have excellent detail and presence. Your best bet is to get your receiver and order a pair of the Ascends and borrow your buddy's B+Ws for a weekend. Try them both out and see what you think using two channel music to decide. Then if you like the Ascends the best, simply call them and order the rest of the speakers. If the B+Ws sound better, return the Ascends and buy some B+Ws.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us