Replacing my Harmon Kardon

Bronze Member
Username: Methenewbie

Post Number: 45
Hi Guys

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/harman-kardon-avr-235-receiver-9-2005 .html

This is the receiver I have. Notice something missing........no HDMI.

I have had it since 2004 and its time for a replacement. My budget will allow me to go close to $500 for a receiver. I am currently at 5.1 in a room whose dimensions are 16L x 12W x 10H. The TV and speakers are all on the longer walls.

So many questions:
1. Is a 7.1 (or 7.2?) setup worthwhile in a room this size? My current speakers are on the walls (KEF 1000.2) http://www.kef.com/US/SurroundSound/Satellite/HTS1001.2

and the subwoofer on the floor next to the TV.

2. If the answer to the first question is yes, then what floor speakers would you recommend?

3. Multiple HDMI inputs are a must!!

4. Great FM channel pickup is a plus and I was thinking of getting rid of the cable TV connection, so one question is......are there receivers out there that would have problems connecting to an antenna?

5. I own a MacBook Pro. I am very interested in connecting my laptop to my future receiver using HDMI. The problem is.......MacBooks do not come with HDMI ports, so I would have to use the mini DVI output to HDMI adapter. Can anyone link me to some good adapters? In my short research, I found mixed reviews.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 710
If you need multiple HDMI inputs, there are 3->1 and more 'switches' available.

As for sound to the TV from my IMac, I use an Airport Express, 'AirTunes' and all files in lossless. Toslink from Airport to DA convertor....or for the use you propose, a direct input on the receiver. For a remote, I have an Ipod touch running the free ap, REMOTE.
I am still working out a few minor bugs. There is a sound artifact which comes on for a couple seconds per tune....It seems to happen more on high bit rate recordings. I will try on lower bitrate MP3s and if it goes away I will set the streaming rate to max. I have it set for 5.5meg rite now which is the middle speed of 3. If I am getting interfered with from another near wireless connection, I may have to 'change channels'.
The other problem is that I can't use my wired internet connection at the same time as the wireless connection to the 'Express. I am planning a trip to the Apple store to play a round of 'stump the expert'.

If you want video as well, Apple TV is on the table too.

More info for the experts will be needed on the other questions. What is the mix of music to HT duties? I am not able to resolve 5.x vs 7.x questions, either. The room is fairly small at only 2000ft3, so take that into consideration.
Do you like the sound you now have?
What sources will you use? I have small dish and the 'radio' is fine for casual listening or housework. FM is a PIA where I live.
As a sidenote, the best spot for the sub should be arrived at by experiment, generally not convenience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Thanks for the response Leo. There are a few things I should add. I do not want to add more equipment such as an HDMI switch/hub since I am pretty sure there are enough receivers out there that can accomplish this on their own.

I am not trying to get sound from my MacBook to the TV......but to the new receiver. I am not sure I understand your question on "the mix of music to HT duties". If you are asking the genres of music I would be playing......pretty much everything under the sun.

To answer...."Do you like the sound you now have?" the answer is....yes I like it, but I dont love it to the point where I would be looking forward to playing my music on it every single day......which is what I would be looking to do.

The sources will be a Sony DVD player/recorder RDR VX500 (maybe needs to be replaced too), a Comcast cable box (with HDMI output), great FM radio reception would be a good plus. My AVR 235 came with an FM antenna. It gives decent FM reception, but not fantastic.

I know what you are talking about with the Apple TV and Airport Express solutions, but those are too expensive for a solution that would require a simple HDMI cable. I have the iPod touch myself and I sit my laptop in the same room as the HT typically, so I would still be able to control it using the "Remote" app. Besides, this will eliminate the wireless connection issues.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 712
I'll look in more detail later.
But, if all you want is sound from MacBook to Stereo, why waste HDMI on it? The wireless solution is painless. Is there even a connector which is HDMI at one end and fits ANY of the I/O ports on a confuser?

The Comcast box can be replaced with a box w/TIVO style features, so you don't need the Sony, which is marginal for CDs.
FM? Still question this. Your ComCast service probably has a dozen or more stations of better than FM quality.

The mix question was meant to address what you feel are your priorities. Music #1 or HT?

The more experienced HT guys need to jump in here, but in general I'd say to go shopping and listen / learn. In general, avoid bigbox or multimart situations. Go to a dedicated HT store with help that knows there way around and will be able to give you a decent demo and answer questions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Its not just HDMI for the MacBook.......a bunch of other video stuff. I/O ports on a confuser?? What does that mean?? The Sony was purchased a long time ago to convert the VCR tapes to DVD. I do not use it for much more than watching DVDs now........hence the desire to perhaps simply replace it with a blu-ray player.

HT is #1 priority. music is second.

Of course my budget was $500, but after reading reviews I am tempted to raise that bar significantly if there is unanimous expert appeal on the Onkyo TX-NR5007. I continue to look around in the meantime.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Hello EXPERTS :D Can I please get some help here?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14299
MTN, we are simply not a group that exels in receivers.
My best suggestion is that you find a unit with the connectivity that you require, then buy the heaviest unit available, as in real heft.
This may indicate the best power supply available.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us