Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 834
http://www.jvc.com/Presentations/WoodConeSpeakers/features/acoustic.html

Or is this a gimmik do you think?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Post Number: 835
Actually I just found a what hifi review, didnt expect to find one so easily but they give a thumbs down for the wood!

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/JVC-SX-WD10/

Dont worry I have no intentions of buying a set, not from JVC anyhow. Maybe Harbeth could give it a try instead!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3425
Somehow it being JVC makes it seem more gimmicky.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 765
I'm not sure what the real benefits of a wood cone vs a paper cone (made from wood). The cone itself is likely much heftier which in my mind would make it slower. I also don't quite see how the inconsistencies created by the wood grain would be a good thing.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14177
I doubt that even a massaged piece of wood can present an even load around the coils of a driver, with uneven spacing and the resultant uneven load presented to an amp.
Bogus.
Busted.
April fools.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3599
I saw one a year or two ago in Brookstone or Sharper Image. People pushed holes in the drivers with their fingers. Sad, actually. I think they were probably trying to see if the wood was real or not.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14178
That is bizarre.

Silver Member

Post Number: 836
Lol Chris, exactly what I thought in relation to the inconsistencies in the wood grain.

It could have been the uneven load presented to the amp Nuck that made what hifi rate them so low. But I had a thought earlier that wood must work to some extent..Dali use it in the form of wood fibre in some (if not all?) there lines!

Bizarre but interesting! If wood is used for speaker cabinets because its acoustic properties are as close to a human ears then I can see JVCs idea in theory. In practice I think they just got bored and released a gimmick.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14184
poke poke hehehe

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 704
Wood, being a natural composite of sorts, should distribute any resonance modes and avoid peaks. That's the theory, anyway,

In practice, anything can be pushed hard enough to break and any of the synthetics or even an old-school pulp/paper cone should be more than adequate.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14186
It reminds me of a set of speakers from my youth.
The fellow who left his band took the bass amps with him, the drummer (now passed away) who puth his considerable fist into a 15" marsland bass driver all cardboard.
These drivers eventually found their way into oak cabinets, made by the same fellow, with dim's 24W. 30D and 30H.
There were the classic Ratshack 5" softdome mid and supertweeters on the baffle.
No crossover, the bass drivers (120oz) were fine full range, by design.

We called them the '300 lb bookends'.

Still in the group, as well, with the bass driver still sporting nail polish(pink) that I applied over 25 yrs ago...

Not all drivers are created equally...

These are the speakers that a Marantz receiver used to break windows in an apartment.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 705
Sorry, Nuck.
You know I don't ordinarily pick on either grammer or syntax, but i would like a clarification!

Were the broken windows the result of::
a. Excess SPL?
b. Projectile vomiting from excess behavior? (fill in blank?)
c. Projectile equipment?
d. Some guy named Marantz (isn't he a contributor here?) with anger management issues?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 706
I used Contac paper on mine!

Silver Member

Post Number: 837
Syntax error "Marantz" = My Rantz

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14189
Bass and SPL broke the windows, LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 838
Nuck, thats EXACTLY what i need to achieve at Uni!
I get enough stick as it is mind you.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1075
Wood may make for asthetic beauty in a speaker cone - to each his own - however, I believe the previous comment were bang on, in that it will be nearly impossible to ensure a consistent level of performance given the natural variations in each piece of wood used. I can also see wood being terribly impacted by variations in temperature and humidity levels.
Given the typical buyers market for the JVC speakers, I'd say more a marketing scheme than pure acoustic science. Shame on them...shame.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us