Need your opinion and differences between 2 speakers (Monitor vs focal)

Username: Dangodz

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1
Hey! so I am new to the forum. My dad is looking into purchasing a new speaker system. We shopped a bit together but we aren't to knowledgeable about all the specs. We lined it down to 2 speakers that we liked the sound and we would like to get some (newby-friendly) advice about both. First off...the monitor audio Silver RS6 speaker and the other one is the Focal Chorus 716V. He mostly wants the speakers for music listening.

Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks for your time!
Dan

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11458
They are both good quality speakers, but since we don't have your ears, associated gear (amp, source etc.) and preferences we are not as likely as you are to determine which you prefer.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 3
the deal goes in two different stores. the focal speakers would go with a Cambridge azur 640R 7.1

the monitor audio ones would go with a pioneer elite sc-05

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14109
I have not heard the RS6's do anything wrong, but I have not demo'd them with a receiver, just stereo amps.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2859
I have not heard the Focal speakers but I bet they are great. I obviously like the RS6's. The Cambridge 640R is a great sounding AVR and if a receiver is a must then I would recommend that for the MA speakers as well. Cambridge and Monitor Audio make a good combo. You wont be doing any of the speakers justice with a Pioneer Elite AVR IMO. Does the store that carry the MA speakers not carry anything better in your price range? If not buy the Cambridge AVR no matter what speaker you decide on. Just my opinion.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11460
If it's mostly for music listening, skip the AVR altogether and look at integrated amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2863
Definitely. I agree with Art.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 418
Isn't the Elite series pretty good? I never heard one myself but always thought that in terms of receivers they are pretty decent.

I've heard the RS6 powered by Cambridge gear and it was very nice. I agree that they match up well.

You mention that the speakers will be for primarily music. Is multi-channel surround even going to be used at all? If not then you may want to look at a stereo receiver or even an integrated amp. Something like the Cambridge Azur 650A, or even the 740A or 840A if you want to go that high. These options should be better for music listening than a receiver would be.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14111
Dan, I think there are 4 or so RS6 owners here, and there is a reason for that.
The Focals are under represented in these parts, that does not mean that they do not have a horse in the race.
The RS have been supplanted by the RX, which usually means a price opportunity, and these RS6's for less than a price that I saw for 849$CDN is a deal.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1353
The elite is pretty good but for music the integrated is going to be better. I don't miss the surround sound for movies.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14116
2 speakers, properly placed, will do phantom center channel.

Lets go minimal and quality!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 420
Nuck, I know how good the RS series is, and the price opportunities out there right now, you'll perhaps recall I just bought the RS5 recently! Still considering amp/source options...perhaps I should consider Cambridge gear knowing they sound good together. But that's not for this thread.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11461
I must admit that I did miss surround for movies. Not so much for the indies which is what we mostly watch, but for the action flicks which is the second most represented movie in our home, nothing beats the surround experience. Solution for me was an inexpensive surround system for movies and a separate 2 channel system. That way I maintained the integrity of that system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2865
A-Men to that Art. The best of both worlds must be had in owning two separate systems. Two channel stuff is definitely better quality though. But both play a difference role. pip pip!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14126
Dan, I have followed your trek with interest.
I suppose that I should mellow my content here a bit, as my space really only allows for 2ch.

My apologies.

But still, dialogue can be made very intelligable and emotional with well placed stereo speakers.

I do not watch a lot of movies, more concert DVD's and such.
BlueRay is awesome for sound!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 421
No need to apologize Nuck. I agree that a 2.1 setup will bring you 80% of the way there for HT. I have heard it before and agree that you don't need to go the full 5.1 route. 2.1 can create a very convincing 3-dimensional sound. That said, I will probably do 5.1 one day, just for the heck of it.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3396
I've driven my MA RS6 with a CA 640R in stereo mode and it sounded quite good. I've never heard the Focal before but I've been curious about them.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 4
wow! thanks for all your advice. He really wants a receiver because he plans on maybe upgrading to the whole surround kit in the next year. In other words he wants a home theater that can play really good music

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14137
Doesn't everybody?

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 5
well I guess but some were talking about a stereo receiver...so I wanted to mention that a stereo receiver wasn't an option

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14141
Then I suggest listening to any available HT receivers available, and pick a sound that you like.
Bypass on a HT receiver is hit and miss, as the tonals and effects are only defeated, not bypassed, and all the gizmos being muted will only identify a weak power supply, muted electrics or a general lack of interest in 2ch music.

That may read as snobby, and yes, I have been accused before, but oddly, never by an OP.

Music comes from a machine designed to reproduce music, not 2/5 or 2/7ths of a machine designed for something else, like video.

Using the trailer hitch on a fully loaded 7 passenger van for a 2000lb trailer is not often successful, yet demanding a 2000lb trailer seems paramount.
Lighten the trailer by lowering your needs. Or remove the seats, cupholders, DVD, A/C and power windows, then maybe...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2875
LOL!! Brands of AVR to look at that do Music fairly well are Cambridge, NAD, Rotel, B&K and Arcam. Onkyo is not bad for music I guess. But I have heard the Onkyo like numerous times now at every house I go to it seems and the sound is starting to throw me away from it a bit. If I lived with one for more than two weeks I am pretty sure I would not care for the Onkyo sound anymore. But who knows.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 6
hey nuck! the place offers us 1500$ for the pair of rs6...where did you see them for 850$ cnd??? why is there such a big difference???

Gold Member

Post Number: 2886
The new RX6 are 1500. The RS line is being blown out at most dealers for around 1000.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1074
Some dealers are actually clearing the RS6 up here in Canada for $900 tax in for floor models, with full warranty.

$1600 is list for RX6 but with some hard negotiating I believe they could be won for around $1400 tax-in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us