Adding RT2600 passive sub to my vsx-917v 7.1 receiver

Username: Profiled

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I am one of the RT2600 overheating victims; I upgraded to a vsx-917v Pioneer receiver which only accepts RCA inputs for subs.
I have tried it all:
1) Connected sub to front speakers n reconfigured output to larg=poor to Nothing; 2) Bought 18-gauge to RCA n connected to receiver= NOTHING
Amps are so expensive out there! Is there anyways i could use my 150w passive sub w my new receiver?
I am now out of options please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14075
I would just get a plate amp from Madisound or parts express. Bite the bullet.

Have you tried reconfiguring the 6+7 channels as fronts and using one channel?

The issue is not that the receiver does not offer a power supply to a sub, rather that doing so would probably overheat a receiver, oddly enough. One sub can be 100's of watts...

Username: Profiled

Post Number: 2
Thanks Nuck for such a prompt response!
What i have worked out just today actually was a whole new Sub from Sony(SA-W3000) it was a better alternative price wise :-(
I now realize that my W3000 has speaker outputs which is great but it still does nothing for my old sub since its left n right gauge inputs :-( . My new sony sub also has an RCA output to use a secondary sub and still NOTHING (i used the 18 gauge to RCA wire converter)
Noob question: Why cant I connect my sub directly to either the output of the Sony sub or even directly from the receiver? I mean i use to connect possibly lesser than 16 gauge wires to the back of my original RCA receiver... :-(
Please help me understand why an amp is such an important in between tool? Doesnt my new W3000 play the role of an "amp crossover"?
Thank you so much for sharing the expertise

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14082
P.
We need to identify and understand inputs and outputs.

Output begins with a source, and an input is just that.
Your sub may have an output(in the form of speaker clips), but the input will be either a single rca input, dual rca inputs, or speaker clips.
The speaker inputs are full range from your speakers leads, and do not affect the signal nor your amp, but present a full range signal that is expected to be treated by a class D sub amp.
The rca are for line level inputs.

Please review in/out.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14235

I am absolutely confused. First, I have no idea what a RT2600 is and I was unaware there are victims of this model number. What is this unit? Is it originally a passive or an active subwoofer? When I enter "RT2600 subwoofer" into a search engine all I get is information on a piece of crap RCA all in one system. Why would you want to use this subwoofer if you've moved on to another receiver and a new subwoofer? You don't need this unit.

"I upgraded to a vsx-917v Pioneer receiver which only accepts RCA inputs for subs."

Nuck is correct, the receiver does not have any "inputs" for a subwoofer. The receiver only provides outputs for a subwoofer and the subwoofer has inputs to receive the signal from the receiver's outputs. The receiver's output is line level and meant to feed a signal to a powered (active/amplified) sub.

"1) Connected sub to front speakers n reconfigured output to larg=poor to Nothing; 2) Bought 18-gauge to RCA n connected to receiver= NOTHING"

Neither of those actions would seem to make any sense no matter what sort of subwoofer you have. Certainly changing the gauge of cable feeding the signal to the sub has no bearing on whether it operates.

"I now realize that my W3000 has speaker outputs which is great but it still does nothing for my old sub since its left n right gauge inputs"

Fine, forget your old sub, you have a new sub. "Left n right gauge inputs"
do not exist. Gauge refers to the thickness of the cable which in this case has nothing to do with the inputs for an RCA connection. As I said, the gauge of the cable has no effect on whether your old subwoofer operates or does not operate. Place "audio glossary" in a search engine to get your terminology correct.

"My new sony sub also has an RCA output to use a secondary sub and still NOTHING"

The RCA output on the Sony sub is another line level output, it is a simple pass through of the receiver's output and is not affected by the controls on the Sony sub. The Sony sub's output expects to feed a signal to another powered subwoofer's input. You don't have another powered subwoofer from what I can see. You have a defective not very good something or other that you should throw away or donate to someone who wants to fix a not very good subwoofer that came with a not very good HTB that victimized people.

Bad HTB! Bad! Bad!!!

"Noob question: Why cant I connect my sub directly to either the output of the Sony sub or even directly from the receiver? I mean i use to connect possibly lesser than 16 gauge wires to the back of my original RCA receiver..."

You need to get over this "my sub" thing you have going. Your "sub" (it probably never was a "subwoofer" in the first place since HTB "subs" don't produce deep bass just bad noise) is now a "sub for the ages", it needs to be forgotten and you need to move on. The gauge of the cable means nothing if the unit is defective or dead just as it means nothing to the operation of an RCA input.

You have a new subwoofer, use it and forget the old one.

"Please help me understand why an amp is such an important in between tool? Doesnt my new W3000 play the role of an 'amp crossover'?"

Without an amplifier connected to a speaker, you get no sound. Does that make sense?

No, your new amplifier's output is only feeding a line level - non-amplified - signal to your old dead sub. Your old sub would still need both a crossover and an amplifier. Apparently, it now has neither. It is dead. Throw it away.

Listen to your new subwoofer.

Any questions?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us