Speaker System for Our Barn

Username: Zachatk

Post Number: 1
Hey,

We've got a fairly large barn and want to be able to listen to some music while working or doing whatever in there.

I'm 14 and of course want the most powerful audio system out there but my dad wants something that gets the job done without spending to much money.

Would a PA system be suitable for this environment or should we stick with regular speakers.

Just a quick search I found this cheap PA package:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-HA60-PA-System-105488274-i1480023.gc

Not sure if it's any good, it seems awful cheap. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions on what we should do.

I also was thinking about getting 2 JBL 12" subs and 2 tweeters and making my own boxes to mount onto the wall. Then getting a car amp(s) to power them. I kinda gave up that idea because it looks like a pain to get the right power for the amps.

Environment wise, it gets cold. Very cold sometimes but we insulated this year and so I'm not sure how bad it's going to get. But I don't believe that is a problem. It's not very moist since the barn is very modern.

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14041
definately a P.A. system.
The amps are made for severe conditions.

When I say amps, that is in the pro sense, meaning amplifiers in speaker enclosures.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14042
I have no comment on the set that you linked, beyond 'talk to your dealer'.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14225

Since you're unlikely to engage in sit down and listen intently type of use for a barn system the system you linked to would probably do the job. No matter whether you buy this system or not stick with horn loaded high frequency drivers in the speakers. I would tend to say stick with components such as the system you've linked due to the generally higher efficiency of the speakers which means more volume with less watts. The quality of the amplifier might not quite match that of a home audio receiver but I doubt you'll notice the difference in a barn. Just realize you're playing the sytem in a barn and don't try to bring the walls down by cranking the volume.

IMO your biggest issue with that system is the lack of easy connectivity due to the less common XLR and 1/4" jacks. You'll need to buy some adapters for whatever source equipment you hook up which isn't terrible, just an inconvenience. You also don't need some of the features of this amplifier. If Guitar Center is your closest dealer for audio, then I'd start there and outline your intentions to the salesperson. Possibly they have a better suggestion for a system.

Unless you find out the GC systems are just not going to do what you expect I would guess this will be a better choice than most home systems that aren't meant to fill such a large space as a barn.

You would appear to have two options; go with what your Dad's willing to pay for and be happy or make the deal to work off the cost of a system and offer to pay off an advance loan to buy what you want.

Do you need a tuner for radio listening? What source components are you going to use; CD, iPod?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14047
I have had several of my bigger systems in barns for dances and such, and I agree with JV.
Klipch would be nice.
LaScala's, used.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3082
I'll throw Cerwin-Vega! into the mix, something like the CLS-215 might fit the bill, and are a relative bargain, but not relative to the system you posted which very well might suit your needs perfectly.

http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=11918

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14052
The dual 15in woofers and superb architecture deliver the ultimate in power and audio prestige.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3083
Might not be an exaggeration my friend...

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/cerwinvega_cls215.htm

Have I mentioned I really want a pair of these lately?

Username: Zachatk

Post Number: 2
Yea... I'm not sure if we need something that big! The only thing I can see us playing is an iPod. I have some 1/4 jack converters and stuff so that problem is not a problem.

Sound quality doesn't need to be anything special, it's just a barn. Plus, there's a lot of noise that goes on at times (engines, saws, whatever...). I'm going to do some looking around, see what I can find. The large 2 15" woofers is very appealing but again, it's just a barn. Craigslist always has some good deals on used equipment so I'll check that out.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 830
Perhaps look at Cerwin Vegas less pricey speakers, like the CLS-12 or VE-12.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us