Powered Subwoofer connection

Username: Lakhani2k

Post Number: 1
Hi this is my subwoofer was woundering how to connect them as in which wire is for wht?

RED
BROWN
ORANGE
YELLOW
BLACK

}Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14213

That's what? A three inch subwoofer?

Obviously the connector is meant to plug into a specific component? Why are you asking which wire to use if you have a plug that only fits in one direction? Are you trying to make this something it is not?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14020
Just stop.

Username: Lakhani2k

Post Number: 2
just wanted to know if u guys know whts the meaning of the colors?

its a 1in subwoofer i am trying to connect to my soundcard...this is completey for knowledge i know it wount make much difference in sound quality but just for knowledge?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14024
For knowledge, use a meter to measure the resistance of each conductor and see if there are dual coils or a feedback circuit.
Repeat the test on diode, this may indicate a feedback loop.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14216

Just stop! That's a good way to get him electrocuted, the equipment fried or both.

"Dual coils"?!!!!!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14217

Black is typically ground and red is normally hot. Beyond that it is the preference of the manufacturer to decide which color goes where.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14026
I have yet to hear of anyone being electrocuted by an ohmmeter.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14219

But I've heard of many being electrocuted while holding that VOM in the wrong place.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14220

Nuck, if you're going to suggest JS take measurements of the cabling, why don't you also tell him what exactly he's looking for? If he's unfamiliar with the color coding of the wires, I suspect he does not know either how to check for dual coils or feedback loops. Give him some basic instructions including how not to get electrocuted and how to use and read the meter. And probably even what type of meter you are referring to. Otherwise, I doubt your post means much to JS.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14032
JS, if you want to learn, then use a multimeter, set on resistance (ohms) and measure the resistance between the various leads.
As you read the instruction manual, you will see that an ohmmeter is never meant to be used in a live circuit, so this test is performed with the driver unattached to anything.
You are looking for a value between 4-50 ohms, indicating continuity firstly, the exact value secondly.
There may be 2 seperate circuits indicating a value.

Keep notes on values as you measure.

Again, this is done with the driver on a work surface and no power, except the battery in the meter. You are very safe.

Username: Winedog

Post Number: 1
I am new to posting and a novice at the world of electronics. I have an MandK MX200 Subwoofer. I just changed receivers to a Pioneer VSX 23TXH. In looking at the connections for the subwoofer it appears that my subwoofer requires two connections from the PreAmp but the Received only shows one connection in its directions. Help. What do I do. Thanks

Username: Winedog

Post Number: 2
Also, I disconnected my M and K speakers from my old receiver so don't know which leads are positive or negative. If I do it wrong on the new receiver what will happen. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us