B&W 600 series vs Monitor Audio Silver Rx series?

Bronze Member
Username: Katmai

Post Number: 13
I was about to buy B&W 685(and would complete the 5.1 set of B&W in the future),but in the whathifi.com review http://www.whathifi.com/Review/BandW-683-Theatre/ I read the text below:

>>
"Sure, it's got genuine punch and substance in the low frequencies, and generates an expansive, well-integrated soundstage, but it's also capable of adroit subtlety and can build effective low-volume atmosphere and apprehension."

"In the dread calm before the inevitable storm, the B&W develops tension as effectively as any system.

Loud, yet cautious
It's the arrival of the storm that reveals the 683 Theatre's major shortcoming. Despite having ample dynamic thrust on tap and being more than eager to deliver antisocial volumes, the B&W package is noticeably less engaging and enthusiastic than some of its rivals.

When the going gets rowdy, the B&W goes good and loud, all right, but never throws caution to the wind -- at all times, the sound is refined and restrained.

Those traits are essential at times, of course, but every now and then (about every five minutes in the case of Batman Begins) it's necessary to sacrifice some refinement in the name of excitement."

"Against
Mistakes a lack of involvement for refinement"
<<

Are B&W 683 speakers that bad for movies?Has anybody listened any movies with them?

Also while I was reading a review for Focal Chorus S,I found these lines in an expert review
http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/904jmlab :

"
When it came time to break out the popcorn and switch to movie mode, refinement continued to be the buzzword with the Chorus S. If your idea of great home theater is blasting your neighbors away with the depth-charge scene in U-571 or seeing how loudly you can play the opening of Goldeneye, then perhaps this isn't the system for you. If, however, you prefer to watch entire movies and value detail, space, and dialogue clarity, the Chorus S is tough to top at this price. Don't get me wrong, these speakers can handle onscreen dynamics without difficulty, just with a little less
dynamism than something like a Monitor Audio Silver or a Klipsch Reference."

After reading the last sentence,Monitor Audio Silver series attracted my attention,and I've read a few very good reviews about them although I couldn't find a review for their theater capabilities.

Has anybody listened to Monitor Audio Silver Rx series?

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1348
Why on earth would you think a refined speaker is a bad thing? Reviews worded like that are terrible and useless IMHO because they tell the reader that one needs to look for (to my ears and the ears of many others) a sound that has the potential to become fatiguing over a period of time. Only you can determine what is right for your ears though.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3077
It is a good fight.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 824
Ive heard the new rx2 and rx6. I thought they were horrible compared to the review. I heard them at a hifi show and have owned a few speakers as it is, they aren't special or what i'd class as what I like to find in hifi. The 683 were also at the show and far better speakers imo. What amplification are you planning to use? The 683s had drive and musicality however, slightly chesty male voices but kevlar is like that.
I've found the thing with MA is a lot (including myself once) like the MA sound of today but end up selling their MA speakers. Theres something missing from them, I'd say its the sense of power and drive and if I'm honest much of convincing soundstage.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 674
Reviews are just opinion, right? though 'educated'.
my personal 'trick' to evaluating reviews is to find reviewer which I can agree with or disagree with most of the time. So if they say they like something, and why, you can then make a better judgement of the review.
If a review and you always disagree, that's as good as if you always agree.
The downside of my opin is that professional reviewers listen to 100x more of anything than I'm likely to, network with similarly educated types and go to the audio shows.
I'll bet a weekend at a major gathering would be QUITE an education.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks for your answers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
J. Jarvis wrote:

"Ive heard the new rx2 and rx6. I thought they were horrible compared to the review. I heard them at a hifi show and have owned a few speakers as it is, they aren't special or what i'd class as what I like to find in hifi. The 683 were also at the show and far better speakers imo. What amplification are you planning to use? The 683s had drive and musicality however, slightly chesty male voices but kevlar is like that.
I've found the thing with MA is a lot (including myself once) like the MA sound of today but end up selling their MA speakers. Theres something missing from them, I'd say its the sense of power and drive and if I'm honest much of convincing soundstage."

I listened to Monitor Audio Rs6 or Rx6(or Rs8/Rx6) on youtube:D I found them really punchy.But I think it should be my own sound system which was the "punchy" one:D

In a customer review who chose buying Rx8(or Rx6/Rs6/Rs8 I don't remember clearly) wrote that B&W is more suited to pop/rock than MA cause 683 is more punchy.

What I want from ht performance of speakers is,for example,I am watching Jurassic Park at home.When the dinosaurs shout,I want to be able to feel the sound deeply,it should "punch me".While I was watching Jurassic Park at the cinema,when a dinosaur shouted I was feeling the sound deeply,it was "punching" me,even the cinema chairs were shaking.I want this kind of thing.But I don't know if B&W 683 or Monitor Audio Rx6/Rx8 can provide it.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2673
I was feeling the sound deeply,it was "punching" me,even the cinema chairs were shaking

I'd say the subwoofer (s) aided and abetted in that occurrence. Mine certainly did with those movies.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 827
"I listened to Monitor Audio Rs6 or Rx6(or Rs8/Rx6) on youtube:D"

C'mon Jack! That better be a good joke lad.

Listen for yourself.
You didn't answer my question about what amplification you'll be using. All MA I've heard are definately NOT punchy.
If you want a simple answer, 683s are a much better speaker. If you want the best answer, hearing for yourself will decide where you're money goes!

I don't however think much to the 686 you was originally going to get for music, too much overblown bass instead of deep accuracy. However, for HT it could be a different story!!

Agree with MR on the subwoofer.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2835
Jarvis - MA speakers are world wide known for their punch in the lower frequencies. Almost everyone that has owned them, including myself have liked them and were surprised at the bottom end. To each their own. Not everyone would like them, and you have to be careful on what you pair them with.

Jack- The new RX series is a definite improvement over the RS series. The cabinet is deeper and better constructed, and the tweeter has trickled down from the Gold series. Jarvis is right though about listening to them in person and decide if they are for you. I like them better than the 683's, but not everyone may. Cheers.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14058
Listen to Rush 'Red Barchetta' with the RS6 before claiming that they do not have lowerend punch and 'drive'.
They do so! In spades!

placement, placement, placement
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us