How to connect Extra speakers to hifi

Username: Jasper1422

Post Number: 4
Hi all

I'm looking for some help on how to go about connecting extra speakers to Hi fi. the system I am buying is iLuv I9200 4CD Vertical iPod System. The reason I'm buying this one is that its wall mountable and looks good. The wall I am putting it up on has cables running back to each corner. So I have 4 cables to connect into this stereo. My question is can I just double up on the output for the external speakers that already come with unit? Meaning 2 cables go into left and 2 into right?

Can someone recommend where I can buy a good speaker at a ok price?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 823
"The reason I'm buying this one is that its wall mountable and looks good"

Definition of 'hifi' - High fidelity or hi-fi reproduction is a term used by home stereo listeners and home audio enthusiasts (audiophiles) to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound or images that are very faithful to the original performance

Theres you're first problem, hi-fi by nature is usually seperates.
The system you mentioned you're getting looks very cheap and will also most definately perform like it too. I dont mean to hurt you're feelings but save you're money, for £150 you can get MUCH better. This 2 cables doubling up idea of yours if I understand correctly is known as bi-wiring. First you're speakers have to have 4 terminals on the back (2 negative and 2 positive) for biwiring to work and secondly I have found bi-wiring pretty useless and many would agree.

Since you said that youre cables are running back to each corner and you're insistent on wall mounting then perhaps install some speaker brackets and get these:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=724

These will perform like real hi-fi and the sound of music will impress. The looks are fairly nice too, with a clean and smart appearance.

Since you're wanting cool: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3136

So that sets you back £190, £40 more than the Iluv and certainly more than 40% better.

You can still connect up your ipod to the line input with simple cable solution if you can't afford the matching 'fatman' ipod dock just yet.

Alternatively if you want to get it sorted then and there: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3364

The only questions that remains now are
1). Do you want (NEED!?) DAB or FM etc
2). Will your ipod fit the ipod dock? It should do reading the list
3). The quality of your cabling

For £280 with decent speakers, decent and hip amplification and ipod dock you are spending £130 more for what will give you far more satisfaction.

Put that equipment on a nice stand or whatever and it's something that will last and perhaps in the future if you NEED one, buy a cd player.

Wallmountable poor sound and build quality vs real equipment and hi-fidelity. Its your choice.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14205

Well, I agree the system you are contemplating doesn't look like it would qualify as "hifi". But you get to choose how you spend your money.

You can take the unit you are considering and jam all four wires into the two (L/R) speaker output connectors. It might work for awhile or it might work for a long time if you're lucky. What you will be doing is placing the speaker pairs in a "parallel" connection which lowers the overall impedance of the load.

Most amplifiers don't like low impedance loads and they will eventually self-destruct in opposition to being mistreated. So, overall, I would say your plan needs more thought. You might get lucky and the amplifier in the uint you buy might hang in there but if it fails it will be catastrophic and take out the entire unit which probably won't be worth fixing if the failure occurs after the warranty is expired. That means you could be throwing away a few hundred dollars.

You get to spend your money as you wish.

I would suggest you simply use the unit with the accompanying speakers and forget the additional speakers in the rear of the room. Alternatively, you could buy a speaker selector switch box with protection against load errors and connect the Luv system to the switch and the switch to your additional speakers. Any good audio shop should sell a speaker selector switch with load protection and be able to advise you on the proper connections. While you're at the better audio shop give a listen to other components that would have more of a "hifi" pedigree. Then decide whether you want wallmountable good looks or better sound. Though nothing in a more conventional system will be as inexpensive as the Luv system.

Bottom line, connecting four speakers together is not called bi-wiring, it's just called a parallel connection, but a parallel connection to four speakers is not advisable for units such as the Luv.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all the info. Can anyone reccommend a wallmonutable hifi/audi system that is suitable for connecting external speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14209

I don't know of one since anything wall mounted seems to be more interested in looks than in the electrical quality of the system.

Post Number: 6
OK.

I'll keep looking. Thanks again for all the info. If anyone has any more ideas sent them on. I need a wallmountable hifi/audi system for where i'm putting it.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 826
Have you thought about installing a nice shelf onto the wall and putting equipment on that?

Post Number: 7
i Have alright but was hoping i'd be able to pick up nice wallmountable one first and one i could get exta speakers connected too.

Can anyone recomened a good hifi/audio system that i can put on shelf(not to big) and looks good and good sound and that i can connect extra speakers too.

And one that i can buy online.

Regards
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us