Need to replace sketchy Yamaha RX-570

Username: Dartabout

Post Number: 1
I've had this receiver for a looong time (12 years?), and it's starting to get noisy contacts in the switches. Plus I don't think it can power my speakers. I am a complete newb (or just plain ignorant), but I sure am happy when things sound good. I have two wharfdale 8.2 speakers (bi-wired if you are so inclined). I do not do home theater. I listen to radio, ipod, turntable. I would like an inexpensive tuner/receiver with possibly a Tripath amp? Are there any good suggestions for me? Again -- no home theater. I like a bare bones setup with good sound.

thanks! ginger.

Post Number: 2
I should also add that I am considering the HK 3390 if anyone has any feedback on that.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2834
Why a receiver Ginger? Why not an integrated amplifier w' a cheap separate tuner. I guess that depends on your budget.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 653
Nick,
Agreed, but the HK can be had for well <300$ to your door. In a space / money limited system, this'd make sense. In a good signal area, the tuner part of the HK may be enough. But, if radio is important, a good tooner might be a nice idea. Many of the new ones will get either XM or Sirius, too.
Note that Ginger needs a phono input.

Do any of the T-amps have enough guts for the Wharfdales?

Post Number: 3
Is there noticeable difference between the 80w HK 3390 and the 100w 3490? It's about a $120 difference, but do I need the 100w?

And since I'm getting some good feedback, I might as well ask about playing music through the iphone (horrors!). I do it sometimes, but the fidelity is hopeless. Is there any way to make it sound better? Playing through the dock into the receiver.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 660
The difference in power in negligible. You MIGHT notice it cranked up, but it amounts to no more than 1db.
Do the features on the 3490 help you? Does it have better anything for the $$?

Have you considered Nick's input? Do you have the space for even modest separates? There are integrateds like the Onkyo selling for about 600$ which get bangup reviews and leave you open for the future.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14003
Ginger, if you are not ripping lossless files to the phone, then start there.
does the dock have a digital out?
Does the h/k have a digital in and dac?
Does an Onkyo integrated have a dac?

I have not looked any of it up, still working on coffee.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 667
http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/

The amp to which I reff'd. No DAC, however it does have a decent phono section.
Available below list any day of the week.
And FWIW, it wowed 'em at Stereophile.

Post Number: 4
Oh dang! I went ahead and purchased the HK3390 but I did not think about DAC (I do use lossless). It does not have it; is there a budget external I can get? I can always return the 3390, but the price -- $219 free ship -- is fantastic and really seductive. It also has a phono in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us