Now that I have had my system as a whole for over a year...

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1345
I can say without a doubt that I am addicted to the presentation I am hearing from my system. I have (as of late) been letting my equipment warm up before I listen. There is a positive difference with both my amp and cdp letting them warm up for about an hour.

I tried it in the past, but never really listened for the difference. It hit me like a wave last week...courtesy of the amazing vocalist Darren Hayes.

I have heard his voice sound good on my setup before, but never this buttery smooth. My kit has been blessed with fantastic midrange presence, but WOAH! I now have a wonderful lower-mid bloom, and the highs smoothed out. I don't have to contend with the little bit of edginess any more.

Ever since I decided to go the kef / marantz route, I have been impressed with what I have heard. With the right equipment the uni-q drivers are going to shine. They sound very cohesive. And as a result of the driver design, imaging can be mind blowing and very holographic.

I also believe that the perception of brightness is in the eye of the beholder. After having the speakers for over a year, they are totally broken in. I can obviously see how they would sound bright on inferior components. But, give it a quality diet and you will be rewarded. At first, I auditioned the iQ3 on rotel components and found it very bright and grainy sounding. When I switched gears to the maranz... the music ebbed and flowed.

Have to agree with Jan (once again) about keeping your preconceived notions at the door. When I first heard these speakers at the dealer I hated them. I listened longer, and longer still. My sales rep just smiled and let me do my thing.

These would have been my bottom pick out of the gear at that dealer, but I bought 'em after I gave 'em a good listen. I just kept coming back :-)

A year later I couldn't be happier.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11292
Congrats Gavin. Not everyone is satisfied with the sound of their system. You have what many don't, keep listening and enjoying!

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1346
thanks art!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13964
The Kef approach has a lot of merit, even if I find the entry level stuff a bit convoluted, especially the bookshelves.

Centric sound and stage are Kef's cards, for sure!
No lag, no phase isssues and solid on time delivery can build a very real stagevery easily.

Good on ya' Gavin!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2227
Congrats Gavin.

Now all you have to do is stay away from you dealer and other audiophile shops.

Oh yeah, cancel your magazine subscription to Stereophile too.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1347
have to agree nuck... I don't care for the coda series. as far as I am concerned, there are better speaker values for the price asked.

The real value is the iQ line IMHO

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3291
Glad to hear your system is doing it for you Gavin. I've always been interested in hearing the Kefs!

Stereophile mag is evil, Mike. It makes me covet things I can't afford.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 821
"Ever since I decided to go the kef / marantz route, I have been impressed with what I have heard."

Right on the mark there Gavin

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 735
Glad to hear your enjoying your music Gavin. When you get the right pieces together, you can get yourself a little magic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us