Using Denon 3803 as a pre-amp?

denon guy
Would it make my system sound better if I used my Denon avr3803 as a pre-amp and bought a power amp to go with it? I guess a multichannel amp would be the obvious choice, but would there be a musical benefit to mating it with a 2-channel amp to listen to stereo cds?

Username: Bebaumax

Post Number: 3
My simple answer to all your questions is yes, yes, and yes, I think. It just depends on which amplifier you buy. See my post in the Receivers forum about switching from my Yamaha RX-V1 in stages over to separates. I used to own Denon and then Yamaha. Pluses and minuses to both, but both are obviously improved by external amplification of a quality type. Don't get a separate amp that's on par with the Denon. You'll be spending as much or more on the external amp as you did on that receiver if you really want to notice a substantial, pleasant difference.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A DENON 3803 , AND PURCHASED BOSE 901 ( SILLY ME , SHOULD HAVE CHECKED ) MY PROBLEM IS
HOW TO CONECT THE EQUALISER , I DONT WANT TO CONNECT MY DVD PLAYER TO THE EQUALISER , BUT USE THE OPTICAL CABLE TO MY RECIEVER ( CANNOT FIND MAIN AMP IN ON MY RECEIVER ) SO RIGHT NOW I AM WATCHING MY MOVIES IN ANALOG MODE .

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 343
Usually one connects the "OUT (REC)" jack of the "TAPE" jacks on the rear panel of the receiver to the "LINE IN" of the equalizer. Then you normally connect the "IN" (PLAY) jacks of the TAPE jacks on the rear panel of the receiver to the "LINE OUT" of the equalizer.

If using a graphic equalizer on many receivers you also do the following: Press the TAPE EXT. DECODER button on the front panel until the "TAPE MONITOR" indicator is lit on the display or on the receiver chassis. You then select the program source you want to play with the INPUT SELECTOR on the front panel of the receiver. Now you can equalize on different input selections, as your various sources may benefit from different equalizations due to output differences.

This has usually worked for me on various receivers I have owned.

Anyway, I would be suprised if the Denon manual doesn't tell you how to accomplish hooking up an equalizer. If it doesn't you can always send an e-mail to their customer service or tech support department.

Certain receivers have their own peculiarities and some have specific hook-up protocols for equalizers. Or some just work better than others.

Unregistered guest
i have an super audio cd player will the 3803 cause a interfirance or distortion to the sound
im using now the 6 chanal input of the harman kardon avr 510

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a similar situation that denon guy. My question is: if I connect an amp to the front pre-amps of my denon, will I have sound in the 5 speakers I have now? Or the 2 front speaker hooked on the denon will mute? Is my question clear? sorry for my bad english.
thanx in advance
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us