Marantz cd players

Anonymous
Any input in general on marantz cd players?

Hawk
I was just auditioning a couple of them on Monday of this week. I would avoid the CD changer, the 4300 I think it is called. I much preferred the single disk player, the 5000. The single disk player was pretty good and I think a fair value for the price (~$239).

Anonymous
Thanks Hawk,
For some reson it was hard to get input on this unit.
Would you say this player (cd5000)is a top line player?
Cheers

Hawk
No. I wouldn't consider this a top line player. I consider it a very good middle of the road player. It has good detail and a nice balanced sound, but it lacks just a little bit of the dynamics and detail I have been hearing lately from some top CD players (NAD C541, Rotel RCD 1070, etc.). However, I do think it is an excellent value for the money and a big step up from all of these idiotic CD changers that don't even sound as good as my daughter's CD Walkman. If you are connecting to a marantz receiver, it would be great just to be able to use one remote.

Anonymous
thanks again hawk, it will be connected to a marantz 5300 and I am aso glad to be using one remote. I have been using my Toshiba SD1250 DVD player till now for music do you think I will gain a lot in sound quallity from the Maranz CD?

Anonymous
Oh and Hawk, are marantz known for good CD players in general would they compare to NAD?

Hawk
Marantz makes a good CD player and I think the 5000 would be a very good match for your 5300.

I wouldn't say that Marantz is known for their CD players--too much competition in the field and they have not had a real standout that would get them noticed. NADs get noticed in Great Britain and Asia because they are still concerned with CD sound and the NADs have been winning a lot of awards overseas for their CD players. However, Marantz is known for their very warm and musical sound from their receivers and this carries a benefit when it comes to the CD players as they try to maintain that sound through the entire system. The model I am suggesting is definitely better sounding than the usual mass market product from say a Denon or Yamaha. I would guess that you will hear a difference in the sound over your Toshiba DVD player as the Marantz should have more detail and a little more depth to its sound.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Wow Hawk you are great!
One LAST thing, will I be supposed to get better sound on s-direct mode with this player or should I be on stereo mode?
Thanks

Anonymous
New Marantz line includes the SR-5400OSE receiver and the CD player CD-5400OSE also.

Hawk
Anon:

It should sound much better in stereo direct mode.

Black Math
Marantz makes nice CD players. In the early 90's they had one of the best $500.00 CD players you could buy...CD63SE. This was replaced by the CD67SE and the CD6000OSE. They then quit selling their OSE players in the US. The CD 5000 does not have the HDAM modules in the output stage that the above players have. In Europe the KI series of players are supposed to be fantastic, but you can't get in America...too bad.

I have a CD6000OSE and it sounded great, but it had a problem reading certain CDR, RW, and red book CD's. It came from a design flaw and is mentioned in some of the professional reviews that can be read here. Hopefully they have corrected the issue. I upgraded to an Arcam CD92T which is a better player, but $1400 more.

The CD 5000 is sill a nice player and will do music justice. It has a quality Phillips transport and bitstreasm DAC's. This gives Marantz a great platform to add HDAMs in the output stage to make the OSE, LE, and KI models seen in Europe. In fact, several other companies take base CD4000 and 5000 models and add tubed output stages.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 3
Some of the DVD players sound quite good as a cd player - some Toshibas, sony dvpns500, pioneer dv414, 525, etc.

You might have spend more to get a satisfying difference, or get them used at www.audiogon.com

tubebuoy
Unregistered guest
The CD 5000 is NOT a 'top line' CD player. At it's price it *shouldn't* be! I should know, I just bought one for $205! I had a specific need and budget. My need? A single disc player with excellent tracking capabilities (for CDRs) and a coax digital out. My budget? ~$250.

I bought my unit at a 'brick and mortar' store and was told it was discontinued, thus the $205 price (MSRP in the US is $279).

The first thing I did was plug the analog outs into my system. The CD 5000 threw a decent soundstage and the overall sound was 'polite'. But after 2 hours I found the sound uninvolving or, boring!

Next I did what I bought it for. I used the coax out into my ancient SONY CDP 703ES DAC. The CD 5000 was an EXCELLENT match for this DAC. It's never sounded better.

Conclusion:

The Marantz CD 5000 is good sounding CD player on it's own in it's PRICE range. It's true strength is as a budget TRANSPORT! It's played EVERY *difficult* CD/CDR I've thrown at it!

I got what I wanted and well with in my budget. I'm happy with my purchase.

Username: Hieu_phan

Post Number: 6
I used CD5400 before (which I bought at $250 in Singapore). Generally it sounds nice but I found it a bit too bright and 'dry' eventhough I used analog audio cables. It lacks the warmth I need.

Recently I just replace it with a Cambridge Audio D300SE and it really meets my expectation at a similar price to CD5400. On What HiFi magazine the review for CA D300SE and D500SE is pretty negative such as 'uninvolving','boring'... However, I read quite opposite feedback about it from another review in the US (which I don't remember the name now). The secret is to let it go thru a break-in process.

mattburklund
Unregistered guest
Hieu
The cd5400 got rave reviews from What HiFi. I was thinking about getting one, but you didnt really care for yours, did you let it break in?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us