SYSTEM ON A BUDGET FROM THE INTERNET

Bronze Member
Username: Smokemonster

Post Number: 13
i just got a super deal on a home theater from various sites on the internet. the system is valued at $4500.00. and i got it for $2800.00. here it is. its all been ordered and paid for. some of you guys might not favor this audio equipment but i think its pretty darn good for what it is. ok, here goes. a 50 inch panasonic 1080p plasma,
a panasonic blu-ray,
a higher end sony 7.1 avr,
a harmony one remote,
a 50 inch wide 3 shelf black glass and faux black marble stand from somewhere in california,
2-piano black speaker stands/black glass tops,
50 ft of high-end bi-amp 14ga. solid copper speaker wire,
2-sets of custom made 10 ft, 12 ga. speaker cable with attached gold plated banana plugs,
4-6 ft high-end hdmi cables,
2- polk audio monitor 70 towers,
1 polkaudio rm-30 center channel,
1 polk audio psw-111 subwoofer,
2 polk tsi-100 bookshelves for surround,
2 polk monitor 30 bookshelves for surround back,
a sony hd radio tuner,
sirious radio tuner/w 6 mo. paid.
al this for 2800.00 no tax and no shipping charges. i have some equipment now, the rest ill get sometime next week. when i get it set up ill upload pictures.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2630
That's great SM, but why did you have to shout?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3244
Good deal Monster. Post some pics when you it all set up.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 729
That's quite a shopping spree. It should be pretty cool once you get it all up and working.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11136
Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3552
Congrats on your super deal. The most important thing is setting up everything correctly IMO. The best speakers will sound horrible if placed wrong. If you need any help with that, let us know.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13892
Now for 20% or so for proper cabling...

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1430
Great deal. Take off a week from work to put it all together. Send the kids out of the house and lock yourself in.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3245
Is this all new or is someone selling off their HT to you?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 626
Stof / Nuck are both correct.
Don't need quite 20%, for cables, though it could run near that.
Also need to budget for distractions for kids/ spouse.
Movie tickets 50$ / Lunch another 100$ / Gas? add on another 30$.
Time alone / quiet? priceless

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
no its not used equipment. for instance i bought a pair of polk audio monitor 70's for 400.00, a polk monitor 30 for 99.00 from jr electronics. and polk is having a good offer right now buy 499.00 in polkaudio products, and get a free polk psw 111 sub. it usually cost 300.00. i search the web in all different countries to find all the bargains i got a pair of polk tsi-100 for 99.00 100.00 off. on fleabay. i got a harmony one remote used but in mint condition for 75.00 at amazon. thats a 175.00 discount. i go to the whole sale sites for custom cabling at 70 to 80% off retail. oh yea, i am retired and disabled veteran. and just had to celebrate my and fellow veterans holiday

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3247
Thanks to you sir, for serving.

Today is Remembrance Day here in Canada where we honour our Vets.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i wished it was that way here in the USA. i am totaly disabled. got that way on a destroyer in the south china sea. i was under one of the large gun turrets, and got my arm caught in a machine that lifts live 65 lb cannon shells. i all most lost my arm. but i was lucky, when the cannon shell went flying across the room and hit the wall. it could have exploded. but it didn't. but back to what i was saying,when i go to the va for treatment, they act like im on welfare. those damn government employees never hadit so good. i take morphine for severe pain. and some times they let me run out. then i have to call 911, because its like coming down from heroin. they have no compasion or respect for the people who served to maintain their good life style and their freedom. all they give us is a free dinner at golden corral buffet!!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2632
That's poor treatment SM, I hope that attitude is not rife throughout your country. We have a goverment welfare employee on the forum and I'd bet the farm that he'd treat you with respect.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13895
Thank you to the vets.

Bless Grandpa, buried in Sicily.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3248
Out Vets (by and large) are revered and treated with the utmost respect here in Canada. I would think the majority of Americans feel that way about those who have served.

Don't even get me going on Federal gov't employees Smoke! Get this - we have gov't employees here in Canada that are actually separatists. Imagine that, someone collecting a rather healthy paycheque from the very Country they want to separate from. I bet that would never happen in the States.

Sorry to get off topic.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11141
Well, I'm one of those damn government employees...lol!

On another forum where I'm a member we have a couple of threads thanking our Vets. I thank vets for their service everytime one sits across the desk from me.

My son served 2 tours in Iraq and I'm proud of him. The VA doesn't have the best reputation, but not everyone who works there is scum. I work for the State of Oregon.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11142
Oh and let me add that I don't apologize for being a State employee as I work very hard with paperwork for 140% of a caseload and intakes for 200%. Even with my caseload I do my level best to treat everyone I meet with respect and leave them with their dignity intact.

I quit my job with Hewlett-Packard to work as a caseworker because that's what I wanted to do. I got into the welfare business to help folks not to kick 'em while they're down...nuff said.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3249
That wasn't directed at you Art.

The problem here in Canada is that one of the 4 major federal political party's mandate is actually the breakup of our country. How's that for liberal democracy, lol!

It gets me a little riled up sometimes.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11144
I was responding to SM and letting him know that not all GW's treat our customers disrespectfully.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3250
OK, cool.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11146
I don't even pretend to know anything about Canadian politics, heck I barely know enough about ours to vote...lol!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
maybe one of you guys could give me a little help on the bi-amping route. i know how to connect the cables, but i was wondering if the highs and the lows got the same amount of power? i mean does mids and tweeter. get the same as the passive subs in the same cabinet.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3251
I think what you will actually be doing is bi-wiring, since you will be using a receiver to drive the speakers. Bi-amping refers to using a separate amplifier to power the low and high drivers on a speaker. Bi-wiring is simply using two sets of wires connected to the same output on the amp (or receiver).

Biwiring is of dubious increase in sound quality (in my opinion). In fact, I think it makes no difference at all. Bi-amping is a different story altogether, but hard to get right.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11147
Bi wiring does indeed make a difference. Don't believe it then use your jumpers and go directly into the top binding posts with the speaker cables, then try the bottom. If you hear a difference, which in any quality speaker you will, then it has to follow that connecting them all simultaeously will be different than either of the above and the most likely to be balanced.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2633
Biwiring is of dubious increase in sound quality (in my opinion). In fact, I think it makes no difference at all. Bi-amping is a different story altogether, but hard to get right.

Dave, I think you'll find that it depends on the speakers. I gained a little improvement, but maybe not much more than getting rid of the gold jumpers and using the same cable instead.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
no, i am going to bi-amp. my receiver has the capability to redirect the surround back outputs to the front channels. so instead of using it as a 7.1, i will be lmited to a 5.1 with 400 watts for the front channel instead of 200 watts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i have 4, 12 gauge speaker cables custom made with factory installed banana plugs. i tried them with the tsi-100's. man what a difference

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3252
That's true guys, getting rid of the stock jumpers and using speaker cables does in fact make a difference. Running dual lengths of speaker cable from your amp to each set of binding posts doesn't make a lot sense when you accomplish the same thing with some short jumpers. Unless I'm missing something.

Yup, smoke, using the back 2 channels to dual drive your speakers is technically bi-amping, but because the channels are using the same transformer and output stage, it's not the same thing as using separate amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
so do you think it will work? im not looking for more volume. im hoping it will improve the quality of the sound. or do you think im better off using the extra back channels just for surround?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3253
I run 5.1 for my HT in my 14x11 living room and it's just fine. I'm more than happy with it.

Try it first without using the extra 2 back channels from your receiver. You may be satisfied. Keep it simple.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2634
Unless I'm missing something.

Yep!

Ears! LOL!

Seriously, in some cases the difference may be very subtle and others more obvious. A combination of the type of speakers, amp power and cable properties would all come into play. And ears Dave. You gotta have ears.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11148
It really does make a difference David. Try what I asked above. Read the Totem speaker manual relative the differences.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
HI ALL, heres what i found so far. hopefully getting a new outlaw 7.1 receiver for christmas. im moving so things are not set-up right

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
any comments on the speakers? they are one of a kind. the sound is sensational.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11505
Looks very cool, hope you're enjoying it.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2734
If it sounds as good as it all looks SM then you've got it!

Congrats.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2878
Congrats Smoke, looks lovely man.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3417
Very nice. The bookshelves in the photos are gonna be used when you get your 7.1?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us