Surprising find...

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1322
I have to admit that I am really surprised by the motorola EQ7 bluetooth speaker. I ordered one on a whim, figuring if I didn't care for it I could ship it back. I think it is staying.

It is about the size of an old school portable CD player, with speaker technology provided by JBL. so I see gadgets like this all the time due to the line of work that I am in, but this one really caught my eye for several reasons.

1) small, easily portable size

2) LARGE claimed bluetooth range of over 300 feet (lead me to believe that it would have less interference than other speakers of its type due to the ultra powerful transmitter)

3) audio reproduction is provided by a decent speaker manufacturer, with motorola electronics to back it up.

4) well placed audio controls right on the front of the unit

5) can be used as a speakerphone

now... like I said this is about the size of an old school portable CD player, so obviously this is not going to have the same sound quality as even a decent minisystem.

I purchased it for my netbook and pda, to be an ultra portable speaker / speakerphone. It is much easier for me to tote this back and forth from home to work than full fledged speaker system (which I have never tried to do).

This speaker sounds damn good for the size... that is all I can say. motorola designed the unit so the speakers point straight up, into the room. This makes the most of the small drivers (and keeps them from sounding overly bright).

When away from the unit (or seated close to it) it sounds rich and full. I am listening to Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" as I am typing this, and am shocked at how JBL managed to squeeze sound like this out of speaker drivers as small as these. The acoustic bass is in form as well, and forget about boom. It isn't deep nor overly loud, but what is there is tight.

Midrange is much more robust than I ever would have suspected once I saw the size of the individual speaker drivers. I figured that it would have been headache central. Because of the way the speakers are not aimed right at your head, the sound does not come off as being overly bright. Now, if you have the speaker aimed at you...forget it! time for the tylenol.

Don't really need to cover treble when the speaker has (what i believe are) four 1.5" speaker drivers lol. It is there, and is good quality. I am obviously not going to compare it to my main system, but it is easily listenable, and is reasonably detailed.

And of course, you already know this but you get vastly better sound with a hardwire connection :-)

I hope this doesn't read like a rave, just a surprise find. A good minisystem will trump it. But it does have a niche, and so far I think it is the best sounding option out there.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1323
http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=218
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us