Archive through October 24, 2009

Bronze Member
Username: Morph

Post Number: 38
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Saturn!! After having the apollo for 2 months I couldn't resist the upgrade urge! Of course my wife is going to kill me,but what the heck! :D

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1903
Hmmmmm

Saturn/wife
Saturn/wife
Saturn/wife

And the winner is . . .

Congrats Darren, let us know that you think - differences etc.

And say goodbye to Mrs Darren for us all

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1240
So who coughed up the $780?

Unless you're doing a NmyTree and keeping both...

Congrats!

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 170
You're going to love the Saturn, Darren!!

And if you have more than one system in your house, or if you want to have more than one source in your system and if you can afford to keep it; the Apollo sure is hard to part with.

I love both the Saturn and Apollo. They both serve me well. But I may be a bit more whacky than others, because I have three systems in my house and have two Apollos and one Saturn.

As well as a few other CD Players, including the Vincent S6 tubed CDP.

I love tham all.

Oh, and wife.....szchmife. Just ask her to hand-over her house keys at the door, before she leaves

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 60
welcome to the club, The most appealing thing about the saturn, at least for me, is the longer I have it, the more I enjoy it.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1364
"have three systems in my house and have two Apollos and one Saturn"

BiiiiIIIOONNGGGG!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
lol! Thanks! I've been letting it burn in for 24 hours and so far the bass is really starting to bloom! I'm trying hard to regulate my listening to the late night hours!

If I had of made the purchase a month ago I would have been able to afford both Apollo and Saturn, but at this point, even though I loved the Apollo, I dont think I'm going to be missing it much longer!! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2871
Tha Saturn takes a good 100 hours of coninuous play before it's approaching run-in. It gets better even after that initial 100hr period.

Also, it's best to leave it on all the time (except when on holiday and/or under threat of electric storms). It doesn't sound half as good when it's cold, whether run in or not, and it takes many hours to warm up, even once run in.

Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
So far I've been letting the same CD play over and over again during the burn in period. Well, I've noticed that the CD makes a mechanical noise when scanning back to the first track after completing. Is it normally this loud? This doesn't happen when going to the next track, ONLY when going back to the beginning of the disc, or if I skip via the remote..

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
It's not a problem, Darren.

Most CD Players I have owned make some noise when performing those tasks.

What's important is how a player performs during playback. And the Saturn is deadnuts silent during playback.

I actually like that it makes those noises when performing those functions. It let's me know the command was received and the task is being performed.

In all honesty it really doesn't sound that loud to me.

Personally, I wouldn't concern myself with it unless it was making noises during playback. What it does whe not playing music, hardly matters as long as the function/command is performed without malfunctions.

That's just my opinion on it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Great! I just wanted to make sure it was 'normal. I kind of remember my Apollo making the same whirring noise when repeating a disc and it was going back to the beginning. You are correct! It's dead silent, when in playback mode, which I guess makes the whirring sound even louder by comparison. So far 150 hours of burn in and I notice a difference already, there seems to be more 'air' around the instruments and the bass is even tighter! :-)

My dealer is currently trying to sell me R7s and almost 50% off the price!! I think I better start looking for another place to live!!! :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
FYI :-( Time for me to leave Club Saturn. Will be putting a For Sale notice up soon!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10322
What happened, darren?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
The Saturn is an awesome cdp, and I've enjoyed it immensely, but I ran into a situation where I'm having a hard time justifying a close to 3k player, considering the rest of my setup. So I figured I could get by with an CA 840c (?)...

Please talk me out of this!! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6978
I've read some things lately where folks have really preferred the Apollo to the CA 840. I'm not going to talk ya out of it...I just traded away my Rega P5...needed speakers more than a turntable I listen to every couple of months.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
It's interesting that you mention that, Art. I spoke with a salesperson at Hawthorne Audio (?) in Washington (they deal with both CA and Rega gear). And he flat out said the CA 840 isn't any better than the Apollo. I was kind of surprised by that statement. Since I don't have a CA dealer nearby, auditions would be extremely hard to do.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2988
Darren, stop fretting about the money (unless it's hurting) and enjoy the Saturn. It takes a lot of running in but its performance is way beyond the Apollo's. If the others here are right about the 840 (and I don't know), I'd suggest there's little point to moving it on - unless you intend to upgrade of course! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 999
So what's the deal Darren? Did you decide to keep the Saturn?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Yes, I came to my senses and decided to keep it! Especially after experiencing all the "lowball" offers! $1500 for a 2 month old Saturn!!?!?!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1004
No kidding Darren... I sell lots of stuff online, and the lowballers are a pain in the @ss.

Good call on keeping the Saturn.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2829
I've sold a couple of items on Audiogon. I always price them a little below what everyone else is asking and include the phrase "Price is fair and firm. Lowballers and tirekickers will be respectfully ignored."

I've never had a lowball offer, nor any other counteroffer either. Maybe I got lucky the five or so times I've listed.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6988
I've done very well on Audiogon too. Very good site.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 135
Hi all, I just bought the Saturn to replace my Simaudio Equinox CDP and I am sooo much happy. I had the Apollo before but it didn't impress me like this one does. I am impressssssssssssss...and loving it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7952
Congrats Loc!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2050
LOC- COngrats. Enjoy the music. What sort of benefits to you find from the Saturn that the Apollo did now provide you? Just curious. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 259
Nick, I can hear it coming in the air tonight...well maybe not tonight but I hear a Saturn beckoning and it's not the 4 wheeled version.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 141
Oops, sorry Nick. I forgot to respond to your question. Anyway, when I had the Apollo in my system, I compared it with the Oppo and I did not find it worth more than 8 times the price (see my old post months ago). I then bought the Naim CD5i, and I quickly sold the Apollo, I fell in love with the Naim. Then I bought a complete Naim system. I had them for months and I changed to an all Simaudio system. I liked the Sim better, it gave me more detailed in the music, although the Naim was good. I had a chance to buy the Saturn for a good price, and I bought it! I compared with the Sim CDP (Equinox), much better. Although the Saturn sounds a little bright compare with the Sim, but it gives me more detailed. Now back to your question. The Saturn gives me much much more detailed and soundstage, and also more bass, compare to the Apollo. I am happy now with my system, but I really want to try tube. I listened to the tube amp before and fell in love with it...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2058
LOL George for my next CDP I have one in mind, and one only. That is the Bryston.

LOC- Thanks for the reply. It is neat to see someone who much preferred another product over NAIM on this forum.lol. Simaudio make incredible stuff, and the Saturn is a very very nice piece. Congrats again. Cheers.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10837
I'm hoping to join Club Saturn soon. The recent price break makes it near to impossible to resist!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3134
Good call Art. I'd love to hear one. My Mac CDP is gonna be doing CD duty for a long time to come (knocking on wood).

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10838
I'm hoping that if I score a Saturn it will be the last for at least a decade.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3135
In a decade everyone will be back into vinyl ;-)

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10839
That'll save my Saturn wear and tear!

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1031
If you can do it Art, why not - you've got the speakers to appreciate the upgrade.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10841
I agree George, time to upgrade the source to match the rest of the system. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm selling my turntable and Unico amp and that should just about do it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13688
Are dealers still demanding a trade in for the new price?
They were last I heard, bring 'em in dead or alive type of thing.

Also considering a Saturn, or a Cary 303/300 (used).

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10852
Pretty much Nuck. Heck you can get a $2 DVD player at a rummage sale and that'll do. Dealer's just going skeet shooting with it anyway.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13689
I don't understand the business reason for these deals. Must bring junk?

Skeet, hehehe

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10854
Just a way to promote...a gimmick if you will. Cash for Clunkers...lol!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13691
What happens if you don;t have a trade? No sale? Do the dealers rent you a clunker, like a jacket at a bar?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10855
Dunno Nuck...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10870
Just put together the cash this evening and will be getting ahold of the fellas to order the Saturn next week. Finally!

With the sale on Rega CD players my Apollo is sufficiently devalued that I will be keeping it in my second system and selling my Rotel. Tragic eh!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2164
Yeah, a tragedy of epic proportions. LOL

Using my experience as a caution, and I am not trying to talk you out of a Saturn again, but when I upgraded from a Rotel to an Apollo with my Creek 5350 SE running the show I could not stand it and had to move to my Rogue and eventually my Mac gear.

You might want to move the Apollo in with the Creek for a few days first to see how they get along. Just a thought.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10874
Good idea Mike. I won't scrap the Rotel until I've let the Creek and Apollo get along for awhile. Keep in mind that my old 4330 is about as far removed from the 5350SE as Mac is from Krell. My old Creek is a warm and friendly sounding amp.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 343
For what it's worth, during my demo of the Saturn the dealer ran it through a Creek Destiny amp and it was one of the sweetest sounding systems I'd ever heard (with Tannoy Stirling SE speakers). Too expensive for me though.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3521
Great to hear the news Art!

The Saturn is a great player. I'm sure you're system will sing more than it already does, which says a lot.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13712
Big move Art!
Enjoy!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10879
Ordered the Saturn today...should be here by the weeks end, gettin' stoked!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3154
Good stuff Art! Can't wait to hear your review.

Did you order silver or black? Does the Saturn come in both colours?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10880
It comes in both colors and considering my Sonneteer is silver faced with a black body, I felt like I had options...I went with black. I'm also looking forward to putting the Apollo in the second system. I'm sure it will outperform the Rotel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Congrats Art!!

Irony! I sold my Saturn about 6 days ago, I thought with no regrets, and BOOM, I start receiving these message notifications... :-( I decided to make an attempt at a music server, which I'm now thinking isn't such a great idea..

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
The Saturn will....hehehe...run rings around that Rotel player...hehehe...

Congrats Art! Hope it works well for you, in your system and room.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10888
The Saturn arrives on Friday. I'll drive to Eugene to my deaer to pick it up. An opportunity to visit the fella's is always a welcome one.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 933

Nuck, you should be able to find some good pricing on the Cary with the new release:

http://www.caryaudio.com/products/classic/CD303TSACDPro.html

Pretty high barrier to entry on that new one, however (Retail $6500). I won't be ordering one any time soon.

"Club Saturn, Club Saturn..."

I'm thinking there will be another new member soon.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 934
Art:

The Saturn arrives on Friday. I'll drive to Eugene to my deaer to pick it up. An opportunity to visit the fella's is always a welcome one.

Last month: Though I would like a Saturn, my Apollo doesn't embarass itself at all in front of some very nice gear. Sounds quite at home with the Gibbon 8's and the Sonneteer

Nuck:

Last month: Both the Cpollo and the Saturn are standouts, particularly with current pricing.
I priced the Apollo SE, here in Canada, at 1350 yesterday, which seems good to me.

I just cannot get past a standalone DAC and source, however, it is inevitable now.

I will always have a cdp, and I think I will stand pat with the Apollo, no excuses required.

What a fickle lot we are! Deflation can be a beautiful thing.

Now if only the 211 monos would get down to $5K.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10889
It was the sale that got me Neil...couldn't resist.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2782
Darren- A music server is a great idea.

Art- Congrats. The Saturn is a wonderful piece. Can't wait to hear your experience with it.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 352
I couldn't resist the $900 off either, plus I had trade-in gear. And the more I listen to it, the more I want to keep it. Briefly thought of trading it in for an Apollo and a DAC, then I heard it. Even on entry level speakers I hear how good the player is over my Marantz DV7001 (which sounds very nice itself). Can't wait to hear it through nicer speakers.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10900
Getting stoked guys...tomorrow at noon!

I will also be listening to the new DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 3XL, by all accounts they are stunning!

http://eugenehifi.com/Devore_Fidelity/htm/DeVore_Fidelity_Main.htm

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 358
That's awesome Art. I'm awaiting your review. I'd like to know just how much of an improvement the Saturn is over the Apollo, because as you know I was considering trading down. But I've kind of fallen for the Saturn so I doubt I'll make that move. I'm hearing synergy for the first time in a while. Have to admit the Denon with my speakers had synergy but it was obviously a few notches down from this. The YBA and Rega seem a great match. The Marantz with YBA was okay. The Arcam, for whatever reason, was awful. The timing was so wrong, way too laid back, like the music was in slow motion or something. What I'm hearing now has convinced me to keep both amp and CDP. Just have to get speakers now!

I haven't even heard an Apollo yet. Just kind of stepped right on up from a Denon minisystem 3 disc changer to a freaking Rega Saturn! I still can't believe I did it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10906
Have you tried the Wharfedales with the YBA/Rega setup?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 359
No. I've all but sold them already. It's crossed my mind though. Maybe this weekend.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10908
Please do before you let them out of the door.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 360
I'll give 'em another shot. Pretty sure I'm going another direction regardless, but it'll be interesting to hear them with the Rega.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2173
Dan, search the forum for comparisons between the Apollo and Saturn. This has been covered on other threads.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10914
The Saturn has landed!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3162
Hooorah! You have it hooked up yet Art?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 362
I've read comparisons at various sites, Michael. Everything from the Saturn not being worth all the extra money; to providing the same goodness the Apollo does, just more of it; to it being much superior.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13753
the Saturn will expose the shortcomings of the weakest link.
Even it's shorts/briefs.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10917
Ohhhh yes David, it's hooked up.

It's about 98 hours from minimum break in and only 2 hrs warm and I can say that the differences between the Saturn and Apollo are anything but subtle. They share the same rhythmic energy but the Saturn is far more refined and bolder in every way. Will reserve more comments until a little more time has passed.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3163
Good stuff Art. I'd love to hear them side by side some day. I've never heard either.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10918
The best part of today was spending time with my friends Chris and Dale Shepherd at Eugene HIFi and listening to the Devore Fidelity 3XL's with a Mastersound amp and a fabulous analog rig. More on that later, complete with pics!

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 936
It was the sale that got me Neil...couldn't resist.

I understand Art. Enjoy it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10926
Oh and I weren't lyin' the Apollo never did embarass itself in my system. Fabulous player. Can't get enough for it used to sell so it's the source in my second system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2554
The Apollo wouldn't embarass itself in any system.

Art, congrats man, I knew you'd do it. The Saturn is not the end in cdp's I know, but for many, as for me, it is. And the more one listens to the music - not the rhythm, pace, timing, great bass, clean highs and inner detail, all those great attributes, but the music, the more one understands this player.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! And thanks for the comment on that other post. Also I agree with you.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10929
Thanks a bunch MR. I'm absolutely loving this player. I can't let go of my Apollo but the Saturn is at a different level. They really are cut from the same cloth though aren't they MR? I mean they are just rhythmically tight machines that go aftter the music and pull it out of every disc...long live Rega!

However I'd be lyin' to ya if I didn't say that someday I want that damn Isis! Long, long into the future.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10929
Thanks a bunch MR. I'm absolutely loving this player. I can't let go of my Apollo but the Saturn is at a different level. They really are cut from the same cloth though aren't they MR? I mean they are just rhythmically tight machines that go aftter the music and pull it out of every disc...long live Rega!

However I'd be lyin' to ya if I didn't say that someday I want that damn Isis! Long, long into the future.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2555
That's a big yep Art, they are.

As for an Isis - only if the the extra 10 grand can be substantiated, but could be had for 3.

And yeah - way, way into the future all right.

I can see you're up late - I wonder why.

Another

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 363
What I'm loving most so far are a few things: a) the Saturn seems to dig really deep, bass has tons of authority, b) the whole PRaT thing, music moves with a real sense of purpose on the Saturn, c) separation of instruments is phenomenal, it feels like each instrument has it's own space, and d) I think that this separation really helps to increase the resolution and detail with the Saturn. Things are popping out at me that I'd never heard before, and I think it's the ease with which I can hear the individual parts to a song that make it so.

Who'da thought a CD player could make such a difference? Not I.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10937
Good to see you're enjoying the Saturn Dan.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1043
I'm not sure how I missed all of this.
Congrats Art and Dan on you Saturn's - sound like's they are the great deal out there right now.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10941
Thanks George. The Saturn is a very special player. I know why so many here have fallen for it. Better than the Apollo in every way and that's taking nothing away from the Apollo which is a fabulous player in it's range.

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
" a) the Saturn seems to dig really deep, bass has tons of authority, b) the whole PRaT thing, music moves with a real sense of purpose on the Saturn, c) separation of instruments is phenomenal, it feels like each instrument has it's own space, and d) I think that this separation really helps to increase the resolution and detail with the Saturn. " Dan L.

" And the more one listens to the music - not the rhythm, pace, timing, great bass, clean highs and inner detail, all those great attributes, but the music, the more one understands this player " - M.R.

And that's it right there. That's the Rega Saturn in a nutshell. But the best thing about the Saturn is this.

Everything that you two guys just said, comes through without sounding sterile, bland, analytical or emotionless.

The Saturn does it all with wonderfull musicality, melody, smoothness and that little dash of warmth (like a dash of Ginger added to a nice meal).

And that's what makes the Saturn, for me.

I've heard a lot of other players with high price tags, that simply couldn't get that musicality/melody, right.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 365
Thanks Art/George. I'm definitely enjoying it. I take it you've already put in a lot of hours on yours, Art?

I'll say it again, I'm amazed at how much a CD player can change the sound of a system. I'm getting a ton more warmth. Not that there's too much of it, but bass frequencies really shine through now. They are definitely coming in louder and more clear than they used to. Didn't know the Tannoy's were capable of that! That said, I can't wait to put some better speakers behind the Saturn.

Username: Llsaw

Bukit Mertajam, Penang Malaysia

Post Number: 4
Hi All,

Glad to join the Saturn Club. Below is my review of the Saturn:

Been having a great time with the Saturn with an average of 2-3 hours of listening per day since last Sat. Have to admit I'm personally gobsmacked by the player but in order not to turn this review into just another endless stream of highly sung praises I'll try to be as objective as possible and merely lists the improvements over a regular Apollo. The 2 players might look alike but I think I'm better able to differentiate them in a blind listening tests vs a quick visual glance. Here are the improvements:

1. Bass
Compared to an Apollo the Saturn is much better in delineating the bass and lower end registers. Every instrument is given its bass space and differentiated impact thus more life like. Never knew an electric guitar like a Fender could produce such bass and likewise even piano chords. Play something like Tori Amos and Regina Spektor at full blast with their pianos and you will understand. The Saturn goes lower but most of the improvement is towards the impact spectrum which is the upper midbass. The difference is so much that a casual listener might think I have already upgraded my speakers. The bass impact is so good now it is fast approaching the Focal K2Ps installed in my ICE system. Tracks which have sudden shifts in dynamic impact such as the start of "Weird Fishes" by Radiohead's "In Rainbows" album or even the forceful guitar plucks on Antonio Forcione's "In Concert" album takes on a new level compared to the Apollo. Pretty incredible for just a cd player upgrade.

2. Vocals
Vocals are much more lifelike period. Even backing vocals which are no longer background "noise" but given their own specific contribution and placement to a track.

3. Treble
The amount of treble energy generated from the Saturn is much much more compared to a Saturn. So much so I was kinda worried whether I would toast the tweeter on tracks featuring mass electric guitars which as you know can generate tremendous amounts of treble energy. Sigur Ros's "Takk" album is just sublime showing you how massed guitars can be used to produce a wall of treble sound. And interestingly despite the much greater treble extension the Saturn never sounds harsh or has the cd grain which the Apollo can occasionally demonstrate especially with early 80s recordings from the likes of Kate Bush, Depeche Mode, etc. Analogue sounding is the best analogy I can use for the Saturn's top end.

4. Timing & PRAT
No doubt about it. The Saturn sounds faster than the Apollo and really Naim like. I'm very very curious to audition it with a CD5XS on my system. Wonder if I can beg, borrow, steal one from CMY?

The Apollo is honestly still an excellent budget cd player but the Saturn goes a big level forward towards achieving Rega's absolute sound. Truly world class!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2561
Nice review Saw - most owners here including myself would agree with you though I haven't listened to some of the music you mention. Enjoy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
Nicely done, Saw.

But I have a difficult time considering the Apollo a "budget" CD Player.

In my opinion, "budget" components reside in the $200.00-$300.00 price range. Not in the Apollo's price range.

The Apollo is an excellent upper-mid level player.

Post Number: 5
Hi NMyTree,

Actually in hi-fi "relative" terms the Apollo really is budget and the Saturn midrange only especially when you consider the likes of Naim charging 15K GBP or more for the CD555. Then there's Metronome Technologie..

Post Number: 6
The only thing I don't dig about the Apollo and Saturn (yes I had the Apollo for 6+ months before upgrading) is the budget build quality. Rega could have at the very least gold plated the RCA/phono plugs!

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1045
LL Saw, it's not for cost reasons that Rega doesn't gold plate - it doesn't cost that much to do or to source out. Rega like to use the nickel plating - their systems are tuned for that, as I understand it.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 571
for all you Rega fans....and the Saturn 'on sale'.
I have no idea about this company or if this is a good or bad price:

http://www.audiovideologic.com/rega.php

Post Number: 7
Hi George,

Thanks for the point on RCA plugs. Another example is the back plate actually flexes when you use force to push in the IEC plug. That can't be for sonic reasons right?

What I'm trying to point out is Rega really could have done better. Compared to my Primare I30 and a Primare CD31 cd player the Saturn really does look budget when it costs the same.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2565
Well I haven't noticed any flex in the back plate - you sure you're lining those pins up right Saw?

Anyway a half inch or wahtever plate does not necessarilly infer quality - that's something that comes through in the music and longetivity of the player imho.

Silver Member

Post Number: 337
I have to tell you, my Saturn never sounds bright or edgie.

The only time anything sounds bad, is when a recording/mastering job as done attrociously.

Maybe it's the rest of system and my room acoustics.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2181
I have to agree with NMyTree. I have had fellow audiophiles and musicians over and all comments have been along the lines of a rich warm texture to the most analog sounding CD player they have heard.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13761
That sounds about right, Mike.

Post Number: 8
Hi M.R.,

Its great that your doesn't flex as both my Apollo and Saturn does. And there's nothing to align for the IEC. You just line the power plug according to the socket on the Saturn and put it in. Any other orientation and it will not go in at all. The wattgate IEC plug on my Siltech power cable is rather loose compared to the stock so I was using some light force to see if it could go in further and there's where you can see the plate flexing.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10965
Honestly, who gives a damn if the plate flexes. The player sounds great, end story, move on.

Post Number: 9
Actually I do as the Saturn is not cheap. Agree that it sounds great but the build quality really can be improved..

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
That's weird.

My Saturn doesn't flex any where on it's chasis. It's absolutely solid...through and through.

I bought mine early on. It was one of the first production run Saturns.

Wonder if Rega had to use other options for chasis materials, for some reason?

As for gold plating in RCA connectors, I personally don't really give a damn about it. Quite frankily, I've had the non-gold plated connectors in so many components through out my life and I've never noticed any kind of degration as a result of it. I've had components that lasted over 20 years and never showed any audible signs.

Power cords? Power chords?

Speaking for myself, personally, I've never heard a power cord make a difference in the way any component sounds. Never. But that's just me.

So I'm not a supporter of changing out power cords for differences in sound.

Although, I am a big fan of power chords, lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us