Post Number: 12
- Sony SS-F6000
- Sony SS-F7000
- Polk Audio R50
- Polk Audio Monitor 50
- BIC America DV-64
- BIC America DV-84

The reason i put lower models down is because they got smaller
drivers which has more detailed sound from what i read on forums/reviews..
Im building my first home theater system and i already have my center speaker and my back surrounds (Polk Audio) i just need some good front speakers that are in my price range that i could afford.. my room im putting this in is 18x20 so will these speakers im looking at will be to big for my room?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3044
If you already own Polks, then why not just stick with them?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13865
If you are building a HT around a single speaker, at least you started with the center channel.
Build from that, with timbre balance in mind, you had best match the center, in the same series.

Stop buying stuff Willie-Nillie and stop to think.

What basket case Sony do you have as a receiver?

Username: Smokemonster

Post Number: 10
whats wrong with sony

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1326
down nuck...lol!

sony is not well reguarded for high fidelity components any more except at the extreme high end.

there nuck...I said it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well i know most people who post on a regular basis who assign themselves as resident authorities belive any receivers,etc that are not of top quality or cost a lot of money are junk. i totaly disagree with that mentality. most people are not experts. some think that walmart audio is fine. others think that sony, onkyo, yamaha, etc. are awsome. most people think that so called hi-end equipment such as rotel, parrasound and others of the higher end spectrum are a complete waste of money. not everone has access to endless cash like some people here.no names mentioned. i represent the normal average american. who thinks that good sound, not extreme high fidelity sound. is ok. that said i have had many different types of audio equipment. since i became disabled and had to sell most of my higher end equipment waiting to get approved for social security disability. now i don't have the same income so i have to buy things that i can afford. but i still want it to sound good. i bought a sony receiver STR-DN1000 7.1 av. and it sounds plenty good for anyone who lives in an apartment.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13883
I just would have bought a different unit for the same money, thats all.
In case you didn't notice, I said Sony, SM never did.
Wonder how I knew?

SM, if you like what the receiver does, thats all that matters.

Is 5.1 too much in an apt?

I would stick with Polk, unless a complete replacement set (which would likely be an investment), is shortcoming.
Keeping the timbre close would be a good thing.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2818
I agree with the guys SM. Timbre matching is critical for that true surround experience. If your center is Polk, then I would stick with Polk. I would personally pick those over the other speakers mentioned. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3238
If it sounds good to you SM, that's all that matters. I have a relatively cheap Pioneer AVR receiver on my second system that I think sounds pretty darned good for watching movies.

That being said, once you hear a higher-end AVR, it's hard to go back to the back to the budget stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3547
"not everone has access to endless cash like some people here.no names mentioned. i represent the normal average american."

None of us here that I know of has an endless supply of cash. If anyone does, please send some my way. The majority of us with 'high end' system bought second hand. I can think of only one guy who bought a premium brand brand new. Yes we paid more than most would ever think of paying, but everyone has their hobby.

Please define the 'normal average American.' I don't think there is one.

There's nothing wrong with liking what you like. For the same money, most of us here wouldn't have bought a Sony AVR. That doesn't make us bad people though.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3051
Most here wouldn't have bought an AVR, that it was a Sony was a side-note, so I wouldn't take much offence.

I think to the "normal average American" Sony still represents the pinnacle of home electronics, and if their only experience with home electronics, particularly audio gear, has been through a BIG BOX Store, that's entirely understandable, because Sony very well might be the best gear they sell.

I have spent a lot of time in Sony's showroom in NYC, and their stuff is pretty good for what it is. Sony delivers solid HT & non-critical musical listening, sleek-stylish design, and it's relatively affordable, can you do better if you shop around, most here would say "yes", but maybe that doesn't matter?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
no offence taken. i normaly won't buy sony products other than my vaio. but i kinda like this one because of the 4 hdmi inputs, and the blacked out face just looks good in my setup. the sounds not as good as some of my previous systems but i will use this until i can aquire enough cash to buy a better one. then i think i will use it for my computer sound. i try not to buy any consumer electronics anywhere except online. where i can get the better deals. i finally decided to go with a kef c7 for front speakers. then switching out the center channel next month.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2627
SM - well, I think it's great you went for KEF over Polk imho - as for Sony AVR's there probably just about as good as any other low-to mid level AVR like my Marantz so don't fret about it.

I'm no normal average American - I'm an abnormal Aussie who happens to like better stuff than Sony, although I had to crimp on the Marantz reciever which seems to do a fairly honest job wiith HT and some music but it can't hold a candle to my 2 channel gear. I'm sorry about your problems and not being able to afford what you'd really like, but better to make do and enjoy what you have. Many people here have problems and music is probably one of the best medicines available for what ails some of us. What one person dislikes, 10 others might disagree. Don't take it to heart, just enjoy the music.

Btw - you've made up for the Sony with the Kef speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11128
Kef...good choice.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1330
Kef are great speakers!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13890
Kef still make a broad range of good speakers, sometimes overlooked. By me.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1331
Not sure how the kef are going to sound with the Sony equipment though.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11132
Not sure how anything will sound with Sony gear. One step at a time.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 572
"i represent the normal average american. who thinks that good sound, not extreme high fidelity sound. is ok."

Average American's are literate. On the spectrum of intelligence, you're on the same end as your Sony receiver is on its respective spectrum.

Thank God this. is not. average

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13893
Was that necessary, db?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3553
"Average American's are literate."

I guess you're right. When pluralizing, apostrophes aren't used. Apostrophes mean possesssive. For example -

Correct - Average Americans are literate.
Incorrect - Average American's are literate.

At least you used the correct form of you're.

How does that feel?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1333
"Not sure how anything will sound with Sony gear. One step at a time."

that was my thought too, just didn't want to say it yet again for the 300th time like we all have }

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 573
mmmm, those words taste good.

My apologies SM

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
sony? what sony? did i say sony? i meant? i don't know, ya think? well maybe.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13899
hehehe

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13900
I believe that SM may have mis-remembered...

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1054
CNET's comment on your Sony AVR:
"The Sony STR-DN1000 offers solid sound and basic AV receiver features at a bargain price, but it's not nearly as good as last year's STR-DG920"

I've heard Sony AVR's and the current ES line that's being turned out do sound good for HT and respectable with music. The last one I listened to was my friends ES 2400 model.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3557
I wouldn't take any CNET review seriously. They give Bose great reviews, among other crap products.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13911
CNET is an ad company.
About as reliable as Wikipedia.

I have info listed on Wiki, before anybody starts. And you trust this?!?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1336
the fun of auditioning gear is it makes you want what you don't really need...lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us