Arcam avr350 totem Arro problem

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 160
Just noticed this. Arro's are bi amped by Avr350. If I play something that was recorded not very loud and have to crank the volume, the right Arro tweeder is having a problem. If I put avr's volume at 76 right tweeder is acting like I would crank it to 80 or more. Normally I do not listen that loud but like I mention with low volume recordings - pink floyd The Final Cut [1983, Remastered 1994] 05 The Gunner's Dream the sax at 74 is kind of in the background but if I put it to 76 it bursts like if I put over 80. Should I start getting worried?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14165

Worried? About the difference between 76 and 80? It "bursts" like it's over 80?

What's that mean?

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
OK, when I play at 75 it is ok, when I turn to 76 right tweeder all of the sudden plays much lauder than that increment of 1. Plays at the volume of 80 or more as laud as if I increased the volume to over 80

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14167

It is all but impossible for the tweeter to be level sensitive, either it gets the signal or it doesn't. There is nothing in the amplifier's circuitry that is frequency dependent, either it sents all frequencies or it would normally send none.

There's a very small possibility of a poor solder joint or oxidized connection that might exist in the speaker's crossover but the chances are quite slim.

Move the speaker connections side to side - left to right and vice versa - and see if the issue travels with the speaker or remains on the same (right) channel of the ampifier.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
I will do the swap today, just to be sure. thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13856
When amp amplifier 'just' reaches clipping, things get ugly in the tweeter first...and no 2 sides are just the same, given XO and wiring...

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
So is this what is this called? Clipping?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13859
dunno, Pablo...could be.

Clipping is reaching the limits of an amplifier (simplified), and it does happen. If you are inching up tp it, and hearing it, then

A: you are doing things properly
B: you are listening properly
C: stop doing it, the tweeters will die

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13860
I would have to imagine that the room is quite loud by this point, given the power of the amplifier, BTW.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Like I mentioned I don't listen that loud I have this avr for couple of years and just noticed with cd that was not recorded very loud I did the swap ad it ia arcam not arros, called arcam rep and he told me that they had similar issues in the past. Got avr already to the dealer and it will be shipped for service tomorow morning
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us