NAD 214 vs. 325bee

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 38
I have an opportunity to purchase an NAD 214, a manufacturer that I have been looking into for some time now, and have heard many times. I am strictly looking for a stereo set-up as 90 percent of my listening is music. The 214 would be connected to an HK 445 for now eventually a pre with a phono input. The speakers just for reference are BA C75, hopefully soon, MA RS6's. The debate in my head is the a) is the quality of the 214 different then the 325bee both in sound and build. Secondly, what would be the advantages to the 325 over the 214 or vice versa? Music is mostly alt rock, occasional heavy rock, mostly acoustic guitar, classic rock and the occasional classical and opera. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11083
I would love to give a good report on the NAD however I can no longer recommend NAD products. 100%...that's all and I do mean every last NAD product I've owned needed service sooner than later. The 325BEE that I bought for my wife last year just went in for service as the microprocessor lost it's mind. Opt for Rotel, much better QC.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3226
I agree with Art. Given the choice between Rotel and NAD I would choose Rotel. They're both comparable price-wise.

I haven't had any issues with NAD QC, I just prefer the Rotel build and functionality.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2812
I too have never had a problem with 6 NAD pieces I have owned. Rotel's build quality is far superior, I would agree with that. I can't agree on the sound. Maybe the old Rotel's were better but the new class D stuff is absolutely terrible to my ears. But thats just me.

For me, the best product at the moment at the price range of Rotel and NAD is Cambridge Audio. Just listened to a Cambridge 640c and matching integrated amp not too long ago and for the money it was really good. For that price range.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3227
For sure. Cambridge Audio is a good bet. I'd love to hear the new line (650A, 650C, etc.).

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 39
Thank you for all the great input! I will take a closer look at Rotel and Cambridge.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11084
I agree about the class D stuff Nick, but the last generation Rotel integrateds were very good. Cambridge is another place to look. For those like me who can do without a remote the Rega Brio 3 is a steal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2813
Cool, I am actually keeping my eyes open for a cheap-o used Rotel or Cambridge for my workshop.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3228
I have my used Rotel RA-02 down in my basement in my office. It's a great little piece of gear. I think I paid just over 200 bucks for it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2814
200 bucks!?? Sweet David. If I come by a deal like that I am jumping on it. I have been looking at CAM every day but nothing great is coming up.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3229
It was a sweet deal for sure Nick. That's one piece of gear I'll use until it craps out. I haven't seen one on CAM or Agon in ages.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3230
This is a good deal, BTW.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1262557456&/Cambridge-Audio--640 A--V2-inte

If I hadn't been schwacked by the taxman this year I'd buy it.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 40
Thanks for the great advice.

Has anyone ever used a reciever's pre out to an amp and had any success?

The receiver would be the HK and the source a Sony CD 5 disc changer and and old B&O turntable.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13862
Sure, we all have Chris. But success is only measued by you.
A power amp makes what you have even louder.

What do you have?

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 41
In terms of speakers, as of right now I have a pair of Boston Acoustics CR 75. (Similar if not identical to there current larger bookshelf offering in the classic series.) I am working on a college budget, also moving into an apartment within a year, so i am looking to upgrade my stereo pair to a pair of full range floor standers, perhaps even eliminating my BA PV 500 sub from my system. I want to experiment with simplicity... amp and speakers. I find that the sub does not mesh well, and will often be bloated or flat. I am almost sure that it is due to positioning, however, for some reason I have wrapped my head around the idea of eliminating it entirely and simply going 2.0.

Secondly, I know alot of what is said by a speaker manufacturer is simply marketing, but BA claims that due to the frequency response presented by the speaker being +/- 1 db vs. the industry standard of +/- 3 db have less tonal coloration then that of the competitors. If this statement is indeed true, then will components pair with them have a greater affect on the sonic qualities of the system? In example pairing with a Rega vs. a Rotel?....

Or am in audio wrong information land and working at Circuit City for 6 months, let me astray from the truth?

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 42
In terms of speakers, as of right now I have a pair of Boston Acoustics CR 75. (is this what you meant by what do you have?. The CR75's are similar if not identical to their current larger bookshelf offering in the classic series.) I am working on a college budget, also moving into an apartment within a year, so i am looking to upgrade my stereo pair to a pair of full range floor standers, perhaps even eliminating my BA PV 500 sub from my system. I want to experiment with simplicity... amp and speakers. I find that the sub does not mesh well, and will often be bloated or flat. I am almost sure that it is due to positioning, however, for some reason I have wrapped my head around the idea of eliminating it entirely and simply going 2.0.

Secondly, I know alot of what is said by a speaker manufacturer is simply marketing, but BA claims that due to the frequency response presented by the speaker being +/- 1 db vs. the industry standard of +/- 3 db, the BA's have less tonal coloration then that of the competitors. If this statement is indeed true, then will components paired with the BA's have a greater affect on the sonic qualities of the system? In example pairing with a Rega vs. a Rotel?....

Or am I in audio wrong information land and working at Circuit City for 6 months before they collapsed, led me astray from the truth?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3231
Chris, it sounds to me like you have pretty good grasp on things so I don't think working at CC has fried your brain, lol.

Going 2.0 would be a good idea. Maybe you can sell your BA sub and put that towards a good set of speakers.

If you're moving to an apartment, a sub will definitely annoy your neighbours anyway. I don't even think floor standers in an apartment would be necessary anyway.

If you're looking a perhaps a Rotel integrated, I think Paradigm is a really good match for them. I picked up a pair of brand new Studio 20's (v4) last year for 600 bucks. A very good deal, and they sound just awesome with my little 40w Rotel integrated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us