Gallo Nucleus Reference 3.1

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 156
http://www.roundsound.com/reference-3-speakers.htm

Any comments? Any body had try these? They look cool, some good reviews, at $3000 not that out of reach... I was wonder how would they compare to my totem Arro

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2200
I have had a pair Gallo's Reference 3.1s for almost 2 years now in my 2 channel system.

I have run them with a Carver M-4.0ts at over 375 wpc, a McIntosh 7300 at over 300 wpc, and now two McIntosh 240 tube mono-blocks at over 80 wpc.

They work very nicely with all three amps driving them. I improved their performance by adding three hardwood cutting boards approximately 1" thick each plus a 5/8" plywood under them. This dramatically improved the performance as I found I was losing about 50% of my energy through my floor. The system is set up in my second floor media room.

I have worked meticulously with speaker placement and have invested in room treatments.

I find the speakers to be neutral with excellent cohesiveness. I also have purchased and use the Anthony Gallo S/A (sub-amp) for use in extending the bass down to 22hz.

I found this link to be helpful in my purchase of the speakers; http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo5/ref31.html

That and a very understanding dealer who took the time to convince me that these speakers were the right solution for me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
well just've checked this:
http://www.soundstage.com/traveler/traveler200902.htm

looks like the new version will more than double in price.
No more dreaming...

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2201
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl

There is still hope.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13851
I have the Gallo 3.1's as well, Pablo.
I am very familar with a few of Mikes amps in his large and very listener friendly room.
And his bar, LOL!

I now have the Gallos in a very small room, devoid of treatments(temporarily, as I await my special order of self applicating paint), so I have heard the best and worst.

The gallo's can accommodate nearly any space.
They are fine with low power, and low volume, but the kicker there is the Sum amp and the very very low bass that the speakers do.
It is dual subs, in the most optimun place optimal. Period. One Mac watt, with the sub just on, is quite substantial.

I adore them, really.
The tweeter is in my top 3.
huge stage and field of dispersion from these.
A few reviews refer to a ring to them, but they may have heard in a room that was ringy itself,(which mine is now. Where is the paint delivery guy)?

Anyhow, I recommend the Gallo setup all the time.

The $ is another matter, best discussed with your wife/SigOth/banker/therapist/Priest/barkeep/interior decorator.

If you hear them with really big power, you will be amazed!
They can play hugely loud, never a breakup!

try mono sub amps at 600wpc!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3223
self applicating paint?

Where do you buy that?

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1186
Nuck don't know either.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Any body that had experience with them have listened to totem Arro's? Any comments on comparing them? I am upgrading my HT now so my stereo set up has to wait but in the future I am thinking about something. Specially that I have to take Arcam AVR350 to HT now and Arro's are going to be powered by AVR250. Not bad but...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14164

Are you going to audition these speakers or just buy on a recommendation? Both speakers have their own personalities which require a good listen before making a decision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
This is for future. Right now Arror's with AVR250 have to do the job. Like I mention I am upgrading my HT so no more money left. But later I will look probably to get McIntosh to power them. I have just seen these gallo's and got interested on how would they compare with Arro.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13855
Diff'rent game altogether.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us