Need help wiring VCR/DVR into Denon Receiver

Username: Nfurlong

Post Number: 1
I need help with wiring my home media system so I can see on the TV what Im going to record on my Panasonic DVR. My setup is:
* Denon AVR-3805 receiver
* Panasonic DMR-EZ485V VCR/DVD recorder combo
* Comcast DX3400 DVR Cablebox for HD TV signal source
* Tivo Series 2 non-digital f¼ DVR
* Maxent 1080i HD TV
* Single room 5.1 speakers

Before my older model Panasonic DVR died, I had it wired just fine. But now I either forgot how I had wired it or the newer Panasonic behaves differently, or its defective. Panasonic customer service is singularly unhelpful. They could only verify that if the RF cable and TV were hooked directly into the EZ485V and I could change channels, all was well. They dont understand receivers at all, nor do they appreciate that I dont even want to change channels on the EZ485V, that I want to record time-shifted programs from the Comcast boxs so its internal HD doesnt fill up before Ive had a chance to watch them.

I want to get the highest quality video and audio signal that I can, component video or HDMI and digital audio if possible, and be able to see the signal that Im recording on the EZ485V. I can post my current wiring if that helps. Can you please help me?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14149

You need to treat each input as accepting a signal from another component and each output as the sending point for that signal. Each component thinks only of itself as "in" and "out" and is not concerned with the next component downline.

Make the connection to the VCR first and verify that it is working. Then verify the DVR is working with your connections. After that you should be able to replace the input to the DVR with an output from the VCR.

It's rather unlikely the DVR is defective but check to verify its operation.

Username: Nfurlong

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan for the message. I get what you're saying. However, this is a home theater setup involving an AV receiver, so it's not like the old days where you have a straight line wall jack to VCR to TV setup. My problem centers around my desire to see what signal my receiver is sending to my VCR/DVR. So I turn the knob on my receiver to "VCR" and would expect to see whatever is playing on my VCR, as if I hit the "Play" button there. But a VCR not only play, it records too. But there's only one knob on the receiver. So how I see what the INPUT to my VCR is from the standpoint of the receiver? I have the VCR outputs wired to the VCR IN on my receiver and visa versa for the VCR inputs. I have the TV cablebox outputs wired to the TV inputs on my receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14161

Certainly on the 3805 receiver there are tape loops for a VCR and any VCR should provide a pass-through without being placed in "record" mode. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the 3805 but I would think you; 1) have the VCR wired improperly and 2) you need not have the "VCR" input switched if you are wanting the receiver to show what programming is being sourced to the VCR.

If the input selection is correct on the VCR's set up menu (input 1/2, channel 3, etc.), then you would switch the receiver to the Comcast's input and view what the receiver is sending through its VCR outputs. I agree you should be able to view what is being sent to the VCR/DVD but is the switching is correct, then the signal must follow.

I suspect the 3805 is sophisiticated enough in its switching facilities to allow recording of one program while viewing another. This would suggest you need to dig through the Denon's owner's manual for how to set the reciever to show what is being actually being recorded/sent through the record outs. This should be a simple switch on the set up menu or the frontpanel/remote. It might not be that easy to comprehend but I would expect this to solve your problem.

If you can't figure this out on your own, then the next best step is to return to the dealership where you purchased the Denon and ask for some after the sale assistance. Sorry to say but today's HT reveivers have too many in/out options and too many switching facilities to begin directing you over a forum just how this should work.

Once again to recap, each component thinks only of itself for in/out. Set up menus and swithing facilities almost always rectify situations such as you find yourself. Understand just what source you want to view and make your switch on the receiver to that source which should probably be either the Comcast box or possisbly the TV's output depending on your wiring. Make certain "record out" on the receiver is matched to "view" on the receiver.

Hope that helps and, if not, try your Denon dealer for specific instructions.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13850
http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/

This might not do so much, but maybe a fresh link from there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us